Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

TSA handling of packed bikes

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

TSA handling of packed bikes

Old 08-06-21, 08:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

We met this guy on the way to Paris, and he said, "follow me". My wife, two daughters and I did, and he took us to a canal path that led right into Paris. We spent four days in Paris before starting our 2 month ride. What a great way to start a tour
That’s nice. Last time I left Butte, MT (not exactly Paris) I had my usual route planned when I met a local who took me on a new bike path that was not shown on Google Maps. Then he pointed out the way to hook up with my planned route.
Old 08-06-21, 08:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I carry my helmet through the airport and wear it onto the plane, put it in the overhead bin. I do not want luggage handlers to have a chance to crack it. If it would fit in my carry on, I would do that but my bags are usually pretty full.

A luggage scale is the travelers best friend.

If you use zip ties, a small side cutter comes in handy to remove them. If you do not have time to get a side cutter, the bigger toenail cutters can also work.

Some medical type disposable gloves come in handy, especially when packing for the trip home when the chain and cassette are dirty. I do not dispose the gloves until I get a hole in them, if they are greasy I wash my hands with soap while wearing the gloves to clean them. Pre-covid, I often asked at the doctor or dentist office if I could get a few pairs for working on my bike, they were always happy too give me a few pair, but covid made that sort of thing quite valuable , I do not ask any more.

Have a great trip. Stay safe. Bring extra masks.
Old 08-07-21, 04:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some medical type disposable gloves come in handy, especially when packing for the trip home when the chain and cassette are dirty. I do not dispose the gloves until I get a hole in them, if they are greasy I wash my hands with soap while wearing the gloves to clean them. Pre-covid, I often asked at the doctor or dentist office if I could get a few pairs for working on my bike, they were always happy too give me a few pair, but covid made that sort of thing quite valuable , I do not ask any more.
I build stringed musical instruments and the gloves are an item that is essential in finish work. I also use them for other things where I want to keep stuff off of my skin. You can turn them inside out as you take them off and keep them that way until you need them again. Then all the dirt and grease is inside. If you want to wear them again just turn them right side out again. The trick to getting all the fingers right side out again is to turn the glove part way back right side out and then start to blow it up like a balloon until all the fingers pop back.
Old 08-07-21, 11:04 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
The recommendation for using nitrile gloves is a good one. I keep a box of them in my shop as well as a couple pairs in my touring tool kit and seat bag.

They are especially useful for fixing a flat tire on the rear wheel.
Old 08-07-21, 02:29 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
The recommendation for using nitrile gloves is a good one. I keep a box of them in my shop as well as a couple pairs in my touring tool kit and seat bag.
I remember reading that they were hard to find for a while at the beginning of the pandemic, but I assume that it isn't too hard to find them again now. I still have some from before the beginning of the pandemic since I had a couple boxes of 100 (one box was kind of small in size despite being labeled XL so I bought another). I am just getting low enough to consider buying another box. I'd be out by now except I reuse them quite a few times.
I find them much more critical for working with stains, glues, oil finishes, and varnishes than foe use around the bike, but a pair or two in the seat wedge is handy. You might even need them in the event of needing to assist someone who was injured in an accident.
Old 08-14-21, 09:57 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I flew to Butte Mt, from OKC, a week ago today- for the Montana Cycling Project's Montana Road Tour- epic trip btw if you're interested give it a look next year. If my box was opened on the way up they didn't leave a note, and my CO2 cartridges were there in my seat pack. When I arrived home today and unpacked, there was a TSA note in the box- and the seat pack and CO2 cartridges were just as they were when I put the bike in the box.
$75 dollars each way on Southwest, if you're interested.
Old 08-16-21, 09:21 AM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Traveling with S&S cases

I have a new question for those who travel with hard cases. My wife and I are taking our tandem from SFO to Dublin next week for a 12-day Irish cycling tour. It is our first travel with the tandem which has S&S frame couplers and disassembles into two S&S hard-sided cases. Each travel case has two latches and another location where a TSA lock can be used. The latches are Franzen 1400 model which uses a universal key.

My original plan was to simply lock the latches and call it good, assuming TSA would have the universal key to open them. My second plan was to also put a TSA lock on (the "belt and suspenders" plan.) Then I began to worry - what if the TSA inspector doesn't have a universal key? Will they trash the locked latches to open the cases? Should I leave the latches unlocked and rely on the TSA lock?

Can anyone share their experience traveling with S&S cases?
Old 08-16-21, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I typically don't lock the hard case; I'm not even sure where my key is any more.

If TSA doesn't have their special key, they'll have to page you to come open it. (They always have that key!) Or they'll have to go pick on someone else's bag.
Old 08-16-21, 09:58 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by mbliven
Have you considered shipbikes, I'd be curious to know if international shipping is prohibitively expensive since SS cases ship as "small" dimensionally? We always ship SS cases domestically with shipbikes. Cases are bolted shut and fedex never opens. The domestic cost is a bit more than paying for luggage on planes, but then no TSA. However, the international cost could be much higher, since the shipping is not via ground.
Old 08-16-21, 10:10 AM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
No, I am not considering shipping the S&S cases separately, as they are sized to be checked as standard airline luggage with no oversize fee. My wife and I will each check an S&S case and our remaining gear and clothing travel with us in our carry-on bags. Thanks for suggestion though.
Old 08-16-21, 10:38 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We have checked S&S cases and bags dozens of times, and I'd say about 50% of the time we get the TSA (or foreign equivalent) notice in the bag that they have been opened. Never had any problems. I also just got back from flying r/t to California with two Bike Friday folding bikes in suitcases, which were also opened and checked. Only issue there is they didn't fully close the side latches on the suitcases. For the hard-side suitcases I ALWAYS use a separate wide nylon luggage strap as backup for latch failure or accidental opening. I definitely recommend adding one to each of your hard cases. I also suggest NOT locking any suitcase, as locks don't really do anything.

After using the hard cases for a while, I switched to the S&S backpack cases, as I've found they are much lighter and actually protect the contents as well or better, as long as you pack the outside pockets with soft things like clothes or pieces of foam. Plus they are much easier to store at the destination.

Best story was one time in Munich when we were packing up our tandem just outside the terminal. A guy was taking a smoke break and watching us the whole time, asking a few questions, etc. When we got inside we found he was the border/customs guy who checked baggage, who just waved us through :-)

Last edited by Philly Tandem; 08-16-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 11:01 AM
mbliven

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Great advice on using nylon luggage straps - thanks! So back to my basic question, though... when you used S&S cases, did you lock the installed latches or not?
Old 08-16-21, 11:06 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Great advice on using nylon luggage straps - thanks! So back to my basic question, though... when you used S&S cases, did you lock the installed latches or not?
Just updated my comment. No, don't lock anything, at least when in the airport (in a taxi, at a hotel, etc., is a different story). TSA may have to break it, non-TSA entities (foreign customs, etc.), anyone at the airport who wants to get in will be able to defeat any lock anyway.

Last edited by Philly Tandem; 08-16-21 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 04:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I have a new question for those who travel with hard cases. My wife and I are taking our tandem from SFO to Dublin next week for a 12-day Irish cycling tour. It is our first travel with the tandem which has S&S frame couplers and disassembles into two S&S hard-sided cases. Each travel case has two latches and another location where a TSA lock can be used. The latches are Franzen 1400 model which uses a universal key.

My original plan was to simply lock the latches and call it good, assuming TSA would have the universal key to open them. My second plan was to also put a TSA lock on (the "belt and suspenders" plan.) Then I began to worry - what if the TSA inspector doesn't have a universal key? Will they trash the locked latches to open the cases? Should I leave the latches unlocked and rely on the TSA lock?

I have heard lots of stories about damage caused by TSA on cases that were locked, even if they were TSA type locks. And keep in mind when you come back to USA, will the security agency in the other country have the special key too? I would be inclined to not lock them.

I use the S&S Backpack case. Since you already own your cases, I won't elaborate on mine.

Based on this being your first trip with S&S cases, a few thoughts:
1 - Luggage scale is the travelers best friend.
2 - A day or two before you start packing, check that your pedals are loose enough that you can unthread them. They can be REALLY tight. You do not want to be in a time panic on the day you pack
3 - Use real tools, little multi-tools are great for road repairs but when you have to assemble and dis-assemble a bike, a couple shop sized tools might save you a lot of time.
4 - Take photos as you unpack the cases in Ireland. Lots of photos. You may want to reverse their order and use in the future to remind yourself how to pack them next time. And the reason I said take photos as you unpack is because if you already packed it, you know that is one way that you can pack it.
5 - If you have to remove the fork from frame, put all the headset parts on the steerer tube in teh correct order and orientation, a rubber band keeps then on the steerer tube until you need to remove. I also keep a photo of the headset parts in correct order.

I have eight photos including headset photo of my packing for a solo bike to remind myself how to do it.

Have a great time and good luck with the Covid travel hassles.
Old 08-16-21, 05:15 PM
mbliven

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will leave the TSA padlock on and the other latches unlocked. Will buy some nylon luggage straps too, just in case!
My wife and I actually did a "dress rehearsal" a couple weekends ago, disassembling the tandem and fitting it into the cases, and then reassembling it again the next day before heading on a long ride. I suppose we should have stayed in an upright position during the night with limited sleep to simulate jetlag, but otherwise it was a good way to help identify which tools to take, where to put extra padding, and build confidence that we could do it again upon arrival. We have photos and notes remember the order and sequence, I learned that I don't have to remove the pedals, which saves time, and I numbered the brake and hub cable connections to avoid fiddling around later. We have the pre-cut frame padding and TSA-webbing to help protect everything and keep it all together as well.
The goal is to assemble the tandem with minimal delay and join our fellow travelers (who are renting bikes) in the pub to review the first day's ride plan!

Last edited by mbliven; 08-16-21 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 05:26 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I've flown to/from Paris three times, and once to/from Oslo. TSA inspected every time. On the first return from Paris, they broke my headlight mount, I expect by cramming things back in. Other times things were not packed exactly right, but nothing damaged. I think key is having no extra items in the box, and making things as easy as possible.

I was watching out the airplane window one day, watching the luggage handlers out of boredom. Our child stroller came along the conveyor. The guy's job was to move it from one conveyor to the next; both were waist high. He picked it off the first conveyor, raised it up over his head, and dropped it onto the 2nd conveyor. Sometimes, you just get unlucky.
Old 08-16-21, 06:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

The goal is to assemble the tandem with minimal delay and join our fellow travelers (who are renting bikes) in the pub to review the first day's ride plan!
The pub??? You really do not want to be late to that meeting.
Old 08-24-22, 10:31 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I just flew with my bike to/from Denver (we spent the weekend in Estes Park). All was in good condition when I arrived in CO, the bag had been inspected, but nothing out of place. I got home to find the bag was mispacked, TSA clearly dug deep into the bag and had no clue how to put it back together or simply didn't care to repack it correctly. I love how the Delta agent asked me to sign a waiver since the bag isn't 'hard case' ... it is but not a plastic shell. I don't care how good I am at protecting my bike, after TSA mishandles it ... what the hell can I do?!? (I just got home late last night and have not assembled the bike yet, I'm just pissed seeing the first impressions of TSA's handling of my bike bag)

For reference, my bag is the Thule Roundtrip

Old 08-25-22, 08:53 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Dumb question, but is tsa only in the United States?
in all the times flying from Canada to other countries, with my bike in a cardboard box, I've had the box opened and inspected at the oversize baggage place, but they just look inside box, then give me tape to retape the top of the box.
In Montreal, the oversize baggage x-ray machine isn't big enough for a bike box ( hence the need for a visual inspection) but I suspect they do in some European airports I've gone through, they haven't opened the box to inspect, so they must have extra large x-ray machines.
Old 08-26-22, 08:04 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by djb
in all the times flying from Canada to other countries, with my bike in a cardboard box, I've had the box opened and inspected at the oversize baggage place, but they just look inside box, then give me tape to retape the top of the box.
In Montreal, the oversize baggage x-ray machine isn't big enough for a bike box ( hence the need for a visual inspection) but I suspect they do in some European airports I've gone through, they haven't opened the box to inspect, so they must have extra large x-ray machines.
I expect most parts of the world will want to inspect a bike box ... and other oversized bags, years ago, my kid was a competitive snowboarder and the board bag always had the TSA note in it when we unpacked. I just wish they'd inspect the bag with me available to repack the bag to protect the bike. Leaving MSP and DEN, I checked the bike bag with the Delta agent and didn't see it again until I got to my destination.

After unpacking my bag and assembled my bike, everything is good. But the one take away I have, pack only the bike in your bike bag. I had some leftover snacks in a box in the bike bag (Kind bars, Jelly Belly, etc), the snack box was opened and all the snacks were spread throughout the bike bag. I was flying out of Denver, and I think TSA was looking for 'edibles'. Funny side story, TSA did not inspect my checked rollbag with tools, bottles, and some other snacks.

I watched a couple YouTubes about packing a bike for air travel and reading some posts in this thread and it seems the inspectors will dig a lot deeper if they see something that is not just the bike. I'll test this theory early next year when I fly to Hawai'i with my bike.

I'd be interested to see my posts about protecting your bike from excessive TSA searching and mishandling.

Edit/afterthought: on business travel, I had my carry-on opened and inspected many times over a number of trips. I finally asked why, the agent explained that my box of business cards near my laptop was a red flag on X-ray ... an explosive device could appear the same with the X-ray. Since hearing this, I've packed business cards in my roller bag and laptop in my carry-on, and never had my carry-on inspected since.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-26-22 at 12:41 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 08-26-22, 10:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
TSA is the USA agency for transportation security, other countries have similar agencies of different names.

Ticketing at Halifax NS sent me to oversize even though my bags were not oversize, that was faster. And they put me on a different flight so I had to hurry.

I can't comment on how they dealt with full size bike boxes, that was three years ago and I do not recall how big her X ray machine was. But I think her X ray was bigger than average. I had my S&S case which they X rayed. The only thing they wanted to inspect was my camp stove. She was more pleasant than TSA staff in USA are.
Old 08-26-22, 11:33 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
TSA is a US agency, but I believe US security requirements can sometimes affect other countries as well.

For example, when flying back from Timor-Leste, the flight was scheduled with four hops: Dili to Bali, Indonesia to Manila Philippines to Los Angeles to Austin.
- The Timor-Leste to Indonesia flight was a separate flight.
- I was able to check my bags in Bali all the way through to Austin - but ended up having bags inspected twice.
* When I and other passengers arrived in Manila - we were directed to a transit desk. The transit desk told us we couldn't proceed until we went to a separate room to identify our luggage before it was transferred. I pointed to my duffel and bike and while I was present, the Philippine authorities opened the bike box and did an inspection.
* When I arrived at LAX, I received the bike box to bring it through customs before placing it back on a belt for the next step. After that point when I handed it off, the bike box was again opened and TSA tape applied and notice put inside the box.

So my question is why the Philippine authorities needed an extra inspection of the luggage in transit when they didn't need one when I went in transit the other direction. My best guess is US guidelines/influence had this inspection because the end point was in the US.

I also had at least one more explicit inspection coming back to the US. This time, I was flying back from Vietnam. I was called over the loudspeaker to go to my bike box and help them open it so it could be inspected. Again, I was flying back into the US.

One more interesting inspection I had was in flying back from Srinagar, Kashmir, India to Delhi. In this case, I didn't have a box so my bicycle was flying in the open so anyone could inspect it. Srinagar has some extra security compared with rest of India. We had the first checkpoint a few kilometers from the airport. This is where bus passengers offload - have their luggage screened and reboard the bus - and car passengers have them sweep the car looking for explosives, etc. They weren't quite sure what to do with us when we cycled through the checkpoint.

We then arrived outside the building and could go through second screening only a prescribed amount of time before our flight. This screening had to figure out what to do with the bike. People went through the metal detector and the free bike was too big to go through the normal baggage screen. Eventually, they decided to bring someone over with what looked like a metal detector to sweep the bike. This somehow beeped on on of my rims. They puzzled over this for a while and eventually decided to ignore it. The third screening was once we had delivered the baggage to the airline - we were again summoned after that checkpoint to point at our luggage before it got loaded onto the plane.

Srinagar normally had extra security protocols and bringing a bicycle through them definitely pushed things a bit... fortunately this was a bike not in any packaging so everyone could see what it was.

Last edited by mev; 08-26-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-26-22, 03:30 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
all interesting comments guys, thanks.
Oh, hey Hypno-- I am really surprised that you didnt put foam bits here and there on your frame.
An admission here--I flew back from the Netherlands many many weeks ago, but I still haven't taken my damn touring bike out of the box, its sitting there in my garage still---just really busy with family stuff and I typically use other bikes for commuting and faster rides.

So I'll take it out and show you where I generally put foam bits on, using tape or zip ties.
Likes For djb:
Old 08-27-22, 08:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by djb
all interesting comments guys, thanks.
Oh, hey Hypno-- I am really surprised that you didnt put foam bits here and there on your frame.
An admission here--I flew back from the Netherlands many many weeks ago, but I still haven't taken my damn touring bike out of the box, its sitting there in my garage still---just really busy with family stuff and I typically use other bikes for commuting and faster rides.

So I'll take it out and show you where I generally put foam bits on, using tape or zip ties.
I've gotta say, the Thule bag has great built-in padding. The bag has two outer layers, the tan you see is foam padding, then the outer layer is a hard shell in fabric. Best part is the bottom rail of the bike bag converts into bike stand to assemble/disassemble the bike.

But that said, I'm gonna add foam tubes over the frame and fork for future trips (this was our first trip with this bag).

Repair stand

Rotor protection and wheel mount

Old 08-27-22, 10:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Nice stand.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: