Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

QR Rear wheel shift in frame?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

QR Rear wheel shift in frame?

Old 09-05-22, 10:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Also make sure dishing is proper on the wheels.

Tire should sit in the right spot with the bike sitting on the floor, both wheels on the ground, and skewer loose.
Old 09-07-22, 12:09 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
In the pics that the OP posted, it almost looks as if the that’s a front axle in those larger rear dropouts. I mean it isn’t possible that a rear wheel was mistakenly assembled with a front axle is it?

Dan
Unlikely since the axle would then be way too short, but definitely agree that the dropout is too large or the axle is too small.
Old 09-07-22, 12:10 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
23mm tires, spokes tensioned and wheels true, cones adusted .
Dropouts do seem to have more clearance than I would expect.
I'm not sure this happens constantly. Skewers may just have been improperly adjusted.
See t2p 's post above. It looks like the dropouts have worn too large.
Old 09-07-22, 12:41 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
Thanks, I've just repacked the bearings for him, axle is good.
You said you had just serviced the hub - did you loosen both the DS and NDS lockouts when this was performed? I ask because it looks like the axle is not centered properly, and the end of the NDS axle may be protruding past the outer edge of the drop out. If this is the case, it would make sense that the skewer cannot hold the hub in place, as it would be tightening directly against the axle end, and not the dropout. I could be completely wrong, but those pictures seem to show this as a potential cause of the problem.
Good luck!
Old 09-07-22, 12:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I had that problem on my old 12-speed and it turned out to be a broken axel. It performed fine, but deflected a lot under heavy load. I'd check for that.
I had that exact same problem when I had a broken axle. That's how I learned it was broken, because when I'd put pressure on the pedals the tire would rub on the left chain stay & seat stay. When I pulled the rear wheel off to see why it was doing that, that's when I learned the axle was broken.
Old 09-07-22, 12:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
In the pics that the OP posted, it almost looks as if the that’s a front axle in those larger rear dropouts. I mean it isn’t possible that a rear wheel was mistakenly assembled with a front axle is it?

Dan
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-07-22, 12:49 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
the dropouts are trashed
not uncommon on the Scott CR1 frame carbon dropouts
(google search brings up a number of related threads)
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Unlikely since the axle would then be way too short, but definitely agree that the dropout is too large or the axle is too small.
Originally Posted by urbanknight
See t2p 's post above. It looks like the dropouts have worn too large.
it's obvious the dropout axle cradle on the NDS side is too broad/open.
There are clear sharp outlines/indents at either end of the dropout, which led me to think of a missing metal facing. And the obvious more open cradle would suggest a 'liner' to take up the excess space in the cradle and also provide a clamping surface for the QR.
Most NDS dropouts are flush at the QR clamping surface. compare with urbanknight's pic of a dropout. And notice the space/distance from axle end to QR clamping surface...
The CR1 axle end is almost flush with the current clamping surface... a little more wear and that wheel will no longer become tight with the QR in place properly.
Old 09-07-22, 12:59 PM
hevysrf

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
You said you had just serviced the hub - did you loosen both the DS and NDS lockouts when this was performed? I ask because it looks like the axle is not centered properly, and the end of the NDS axle may be protruding past the outer edge of the drop out. If this is the case, it would make sense that the skewer cannot hold the hub in place, as it would be tightening directly against the axle end, and not the dropout. I could be completely wrong, but those pictures seem to show this as a potential cause of the problem.
Good luck!

Only loosed one side, axles are not standing proud of drop out.
He did 40 quick miles after this maintenance with no reoccurrence, so I'm thinking any wear in the dropouts was caused by improper tightening, but still serviceable if watched closely.
Old 09-08-22, 09:52 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Is it possible that the rear axle has front end caps on? The axle looks too small for the dropout opening.
Old 09-08-22, 10:24 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
the dropouts are trashed

Not much more needs to be said. They could be repaired with a metal machined sleeve (bike mechanic with machine tools and skills) or perhaps with a simple fix (clever bike mechanic) or the bike being ridden carefully on carefully inserted wheels (and not too hard). Is your son up the the last option? I"m guessing no, but i do not know him. In my youth I did unspeakable things to my UO-8 dropout.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-08-22, 11:33 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Is it possible that the rear axle has front end caps on? The axle looks too small for the dropout opening.
Looks like normal axle, worn out dropout. Probably gets worse every time the wheel shifts.
Old 09-08-22, 12:37 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
You could probably make a quick temporary fix by bending a piece of aluminum to keep the quick release axle from shifting. Here is a pic to one I made for a horizontal dropout. On my 80s UNIVEGA It works really well for a 250# masher using ChiCom quick releases. You will need to reconfigure for your vertical dropout. Just an idea...

Old 09-08-22, 01:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think this is one case where a hack repair would be suitable. I would figure out where the axle should be in the dropout and add something to make it so it stays there. Unlike the cracked head tube, I don't really see how this is a safety critical issue. If you really wanted to do it right, I imagine a carbon repair place could fix it up for a reasonable price. Or even just get a carbon repair kit and diy. But I would check with someone that does it all the time first.
Old 09-08-22, 06:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
can the mods combine this thread with the cracked head tube thread ?

appears to be issues one or both dropouts

might be more than Tulio Campagnolo himself can overcome
Nope
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.