Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long do your brake rotors last?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-19-22, 09:16 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

For me I noticed over time they get pretty warped, which happens sooner than they wear out from braking and because too thin (so they are ready for replacement).

I know I can try to straighten them with a tool however I found that's not easy plus I dont see a point of straightening if they will get warped after few descents again (maybe they wont, maybe they will I am just guessing).

Since they became warped I find it hard to adjust brakes well without they rubbing quite a lot so I feel like I would rather replace them (although they are not wear out).

Also, the other day I went to change rear rotor and there was quite a surprise waiting for me. I usually check my bike regularly and all that but I didnt see this so I am not sure when it happened, but 1 of the 6 rotors screws were gone and the other started to unwind.
Likes For utoner34:
Old 09-19-22, 11:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What's pretty warped? If the are just going from one side of the gap between the pads to the other, then that's probably not enough to call them warped for me.

I've not had a rotor scrub hard enough on the pads to be an issue for riding. I have had them sometimes make a harmonic noise when I'm moving my bike around at home. But that doesn't mean they need any fussing with.

Yes you do need to keep your bolts tight on the rotors or the center lock if you have that. I recently found my rear lock ring on my center lock disc's a little loose and tightening that up fixed some funny noises I was hearing while riding that I wouldn't have identified with brakes.
Old 09-19-22, 03:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I run expensive rotors, and I run cheap rotors; I've never had any warp enough to cause problems. I'm wondering if you have cheapie mechanical calipers that only push one piston against the rotor; if those are poorly-adjusted, the mere act of braking might flex the rotor.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-19-22, 06:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I put a little drop of blue Loctite on the rotor bolts on my mtb. Still don't have a disc road bike but I've had disc mountain bikes for 14 years and I've only replaced one rotor in that time, and it was because it was worn thin. The rotors probably both need to be replaced now, that bike has seen some heavy braking while carrying a total load of about 245 pounds.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-20-22, 04:02 AM
utoner34

Originally Posted by Iride01
What's pretty warped? If the are just going from one side of the gap between the pads to the other, then that's probably not enough to call them warped for me.

I've not had a rotor scrub hard enough on the pads to be an issue for riding. I have had them sometimes make a harmonic noise when I'm moving my bike around at home. But that doesn't mean they need any fussing with.

Yes you do need to keep your bolts tight on the rotors or the center lock if you have that. I recently found my rear lock ring on my center lock disc's a little loose and tightening that up fixed some funny noises I was hearing while riding that I wouldn't have identified with brakes.

Well, enough to rub on one or both sides if the calipers are tight enough. I mean if the gap between brake pad and rotor is 1mm, and the rotor warps 1 mm to side, it will rub.

I only find my brakes work well if I tighter them as much as possible next to the rotors. Which only works if the rotors are straight.

Forgot to write, I have TRP Spyre brakes.
Old 09-20-22, 05:43 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Blue Loctite and checking your bolts from time to time (as mentioned by previous posts) is the best route to success here, imo.
Old 09-20-22, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

When the disc travels from side to side that 1 millimeter and rubs the other pad, is that more just a visual thing or are you actually... while riding the bike, feeling the scrubbing of the pads slowing you down? A pad touching the disc without putting sufficient pressure on it is not really a problem.
Old 09-20-22, 09:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
When the disc travels from side to side that 1 millimeter and rubs the other pad, is that more just a visual thing or are you actually... while riding the bike, feeling the scrubbing of the pads slowing you down? A pad touching the disc without putting sufficient pressure on it is not really a problem.
Maybe not a problem in terms of scrubbing actual speed, but definitely can be a problem in terms of pure annoyance. Rarely is rotor rubbing a silent affair.
Old 09-20-22, 09:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Maybe not a problem in terms of scrubbing actual speed, but definitely can be a problem in terms of pure annoyance. Rarely is rotor rubbing a silent affair.
Visually I can't tell that my rotors aren't rubbing on one pad all the time. There is no gap between the disc and pad on one side. However I don't have any noise while riding. Nor do I have any difference in wear between the two pads.
Old 09-20-22, 09:25 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Visually I can't tell that my rotors aren't rubbing on one pad all the time. There is no gap between the disc and pad on one side. However I don't have any noise while riding. Nor do I have any difference in wear between the two pads.
If you can't see or hear your rotors rubbing, and find no evidence that they've been rubbing, and don't notice that the wheels spin any slower, are they actually rubbing?

This might be more of a philosophical question.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-20-22, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If you can't see or hear your rotors rubbing, and find no evidence that they've been rubbing, and don't notice that the wheels spin any slower, are they actually rubbing?
Pretty much that is my point.

I feel that many of the people that always claim their rotors warped provide no evidence other than they appear to go from pad to pad as the wheel rotates. It simply bothers them and they go to great lengths to fix or attempt to fix something for no benefit. Except maybe their own insanity. However that doesn't necessarily indicate that there is an issue if it isn't causing a problem. A certain amount of warp is okay. Just like wheels have a tolerance for how true their rims are.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-20-22, 06:15 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
How do you tell if a rotor is worn? Assuming its not warped.
Old 09-20-22, 06:25 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Measure the thickness. If you can't find a spec measure the area next to the brake surface for reference. Mine started at 3mm and one was worn below 2mm.

A rotor manufacturer might be able to provide a spec/recommended minimum thickness.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-20-22, 10:38 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I put a little drop of blue Loctite on the rotor bolts on my mtb. Still don't have a disc road bike but I've had disc mountain bikes for 14 years and I've only replaced one rotor in that time, and it was because it was worn thin. The rotors probably both need to be replaced now, that bike has seen some heavy braking while carrying a total load of about 245 pounds.
Blue loctite is my friend too. Have fun and stay safe.
Old 09-21-22, 04:28 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
long enough that I don't worry about the replacement cost.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-22-22, 08:43 AM
utoner34

Yes, exactly that.

Its rubbing just enough to make annoying noises. Sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes not, more does than not

I haven't tried floating rotors yet though (if they will warp less).
Old 09-22-22, 10:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Use a caliper. When a Shimano rotor gets down to 1.5mm, it’s time for replacement. SRAM rotors get replaced at 1.55mm.

Originally Posted by big john
Measure the thickness. If you can't find a spec measure the area next to the brake surface for reference. Mine started at 3mm and one was worn below 2mm.
Wow. What kind of rotor started out 3mm thick? I don’t think that would fit in most calipers.
Old 09-22-22, 11:28 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Koyote

Wow. What kind of rotor started out 3mm thick? I don’t think that would fit in most calipers.
Oops, you're right. I just checked, it's just over 2mm in the thickest part. Must have been under 1.5 when I tossed it.
I'm old and get confused easily.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-22-22, 12:56 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Problems described - If 6 bolt then it seems like they aren't being torqued properly or in the correct pattern. If you have them unevenly or improperly torqued then they will spring a bit when heated during braking.

Warp - fix it. If it continues then fix it correctly.

If you can't keep the rotor within the pad clearance easily then you probably have something else going on. Common causes:
  1. caliper mounts on the frame are no longer flat and in the correct plane in relation to the axle. Solution: re-machine the mount
  2. Caliper mounts are indented or scored so that when you line the caliper up while loose it's fine but when you tighten it the caliper moves. Solution: re-machine the mount
  3. Piston(s) is(are) sticking. Solution: pull the pads, correctly advance a piston, clean it, apply a little bit of DOT grease for DOT brakes or a drop of mineral oil or DOT fluid for the corresponding brake systems. Press the pistons back into the bore and repeat the cycling the piston in and out until they float freely. Clean it all vigorously with rubbing alcohol. re install the pads and push the pistons and pads back as far as they go. Mount the wheel again and advance the pads with several pulls until brake power returns. This should allow the pads to freely advance and then freely retract when the brake is off. It will also allow an out of true rotor to easily push the pad back enough for clearance within a revolution or two.
Like all things on a bike - Disc brake rotors shouldn't be having major problems unless something is foundationally wrong with the setup.

Likes For Psimet2001: