Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Two rim brake calipers on front wheel

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-20-22, 05:27 AM
JISO

Bikes: Piazza-Rossin Pista, Vitus 979, Trouyez Randonneuse, Alan Competizione, Ikea Sladda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Tempted to try this out. It can be done with a set of aero rim brakes that mount to the fork rear, such as TRP T925. Mount the front one to the rear of the fork and the rear one to the front of the fork.

Anyone ever done this? Would the additional forces damage the fork?
Old 09-20-22, 05:42 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts

your idea reminded of this.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 09-20-22, 05:57 AM
JISO

Bikes: Piazza-Rossin Pista, Vitus 979, Trouyez Randonneuse, Alan Competizione, Ikea Sladda

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ha, tempted to add a coaster brake
Old 09-20-22, 05:59 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Most brakes are effective enough to launch the rider OTB at full effort. And forks generally survive that.
Double brakes will not increase the force on the fork.
Well, maybe a TINY bit, by locking the wheel a tad faster.
I wouldn’t worry about THAT part of the scenario.
Tandem riders sometimes use double brake setups. But usually rim + hub brake combinations.
Likes For dabac:
Old 09-20-22, 06:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
IMO there's no stress related reason why you shouldn't do this.

However, there may be a simple reason why you couldn't ------- How do you plan to mount two brakes back to back through the one hole?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-20-22, 07:35 AM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You mount the caliper going to the rear of the fork onto the longer recessed nut and attach the nut to the front caliper's bolt.

For T925 you have to swap the bolts to do this
Old 09-20-22, 08:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
One of the really nice features of having only one caliper per lever and having a caliper on each wheel is one can modulate the braking forces and better control their bike is varying conditions. So in my world having two calipers on one wheel would mean that each has its own lever, pretty much eliminating the ability to have the other wheel have its caliper on its own lever and still be able to modulate that brake.

I have thousands of miles on tandems and have the rear hub brake (sometimes called a drag brake) controlled by a bar end "shift lever". Fine for setting an amount of brake application but it rots for any real modulation. Early on my first tandem used a brake lever with both ft and rr calipers controlled by it, two cables entered the lever. With the different cable lengths and different "power" that a ft and rr brake have getting the balance between the two cables was impossible. Oh, one could set up the balance to work OK at slow speeds but than it would be poor at higher speeds.

Are you having stopping problems with the usual single caliper on each wheel? I wonder what problem you are trying to solve. Andy
Old 09-20-22, 09:03 AM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Correct, one lever for each caliper, both on the front wheel. Should result in more braking power than F + R due to mechanical advantage
-
Old 09-20-22, 09:09 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Braking power is always limited by the available traction. Think about that.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-20-22, 09:17 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 92 Posts
My vintage tandem came without the rear drag brake setup so I experimented for a while using two rear calipers with a brake cable splitter/doubler from the lever. I’d have to say that experiment failed. I found I got better braking, and certainly better brake “feel,” from one caliper. I found my experiments with brake shoes more fruitful for improving brake performance. Conversely, I’ve always found it pretty easy to achieve as much brake performance as I need on the front with a single caliper of any kind. So, other than achieving a unique look (which I can’t discount), I think you’ll find two up front aren’t necessary.
Old 09-20-22, 09:25 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
You'll need something like this

​​​​​​https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...RoCdikQAvD_BwE
Old 09-20-22, 09:29 AM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Good point, yes I think traction will be the limiting factor here especially with a 23mm in the front
Old 09-20-22, 10:21 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by JISO
Correct, one lever for each caliper, both on the front wheel. Should result in more braking power than F + R due to mechanical advantage
-
and quite possible loss of control with over braking on the front, speaking as person who has gone over the handle bars with kookstop salmon pads on universal 88 brakes

also you lose the ability to brake and control from the rear brake.

put is this way....do you see any pro's road or mountain using a set up like this? if there were an overall advantage you would

IMHO no value add, along with fussy implementation not advised

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-20-22, 10:32 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Scratch up the brake track with coarse emery cloth and one brake will put you over the bars.
Old 09-20-22, 01:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Or (and probably usually for the front brake) the dynamics of stopping and not going over the bars. In the rain is the one place where two calipers in front could be really good as the rear would wipe the rim for the front.
Old 09-20-22, 03:30 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I'm not sure that I've had a bike that had enough brakes to lock (skid) the front wheel on dry pavement, and I'm not sure why that would be a performance goal to chase.

Pretty much all of my bikes, though, have enough brakes to lift the back wheel, at which point 'more' front brake just means that you can launch yourself OTB just that much harder.
One front brake should be sufficient for this, if it's not; you've got your setup wrong
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 09-20-22, 03:37 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Early on my first tandem used a brake lever with both ft and rr calipers controlled by it, two cables entered the lever. With the different cable lengths and different "power" that a ft and rr brake have getting the balance between the two cables was impossible. Oh, one could set up the balance to work OK at slow speeds but than it would be poor at higher speeds.
The only time I've seen this done with any "success" was on a bike set up for a rider with one severely deformed hand. That hand was unable to operate a brake lever so his other hand had to do both. It worked in a manner of speaking but certainly wasn't ideal.
Old 09-20-22, 04:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Good point, yes I think traction will be the limiting factor here especially with a 23mm in the front
Actually front wheel braking isn't usually limited by traction. Instead, what matters is the "tip vs slide" calculation.

Essentially, What matters is the slope of the line from the front wheel's point of contact on the pavement (where braking forces happen) and the center of gravity of the rider and bicycle. For practical purposes consider the braking force to be along that line, and producing both a vertical and horizontal vector. As long as the vertical vector is less than the rider (and bike's,) weight, gravity will keep the bike down. As brake force is increased, that vertical component increases, until eventually it's large enough to lever the rider upward.

Note that this is a cascade phenomenon, because as the rider lifts, the line of action changes in a way more favorable to further tipping unless the brake is released (or eased off). Overall, safe and effective front braking is about skilled modulation and keeping the CofG lower and farther back from the front wheel, which is why it's virtually impossible to have an endo on a recumbent or tandem.

There are two other key factors ------ While, tire traction is usually adequate to achieve a tip condition in most cases, slippery conditions may become a limiting factor. There's also a dynamic factor, which I liken to shifting cargo in trucks, Inexperienced riders in a panic stop often relax their arms such that as the bike slows they slide forward, in such a way to change the vectors in a way favorable to tipping. This may explain endos that it theory shouldn't have happened.

So to the OP - if you can stop hard enough to lift the rear wheel, you've got all the brake thee bike can tolerate. OTOH - if you cannot reach the tipping point, then more brake, wisely moderated, MAY help.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-20-22 at 10:39 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-21-22, 12:28 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
-
Nope. Unless you have crappy brakes now, you should be able to cause an endo with a single front brake. Shifting your weight to the rear allows you to get braking from the rear brake as well.
Old 09-21-22, 10:36 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
When I lent my wife's Trek FX with linear-pull brakes to my daughter's ex-boyfriend, the first thing he did at the bottom of our hill was squeeze a handful of front brake and somersault over the handlebar. We spent the afternoon in urgent care waiting for the doctor to stitch the cut in his chin. So my first question is, what do you want to do this for?
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 09-22-22, 12:38 AM
JISO

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
When I lent my wife's Trek FX with linear-pull brakes to my daughter's ex-boyfriend, the first thing he did at the bottom of our hill was squeeze a handful of front brake and somersault over the handlebar. We spent the afternoon in urgent care waiting for the doctor to stitch the cut in his chin. So my first question is, what do you want to do this for?
Haha great story

Operationally it looks like it's a no-go. Setup needs a non-standard serrated washer through the recessed nut. There's also the issues mentioned above. Might still be useful for a tourer where faceplanting is less likely
Likes For JISO:
Old 09-22-22, 03:14 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I've only seen dual front brakes on trikes, usually racing trikes, like Longstaffs.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody: