Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seatpost Bolt / Clamp Housing Stripped!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-23-22, 09:38 PM
Ratspeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I am disgustipated. Has anyone ever encountered this before? This bike I haven't had for a month, I tried tightening the seatpost with a torque wrench and the steel stripped into a fine taper. It's one of those notched bolts that locks into the mechanism. I'm not even sure what to call this piece, but it's on the frame, and now I can't get a proper torque to keep the seatpost from sliding down.

For future reference: What is the proper torque to set these to?

More importantly: How the frick can I fix this?

Old 09-23-22, 09:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
BITD this wasn't all that rare, nor was it common either.

Odds are that the bolt key was never properly seated, and once it started turning, it simply cut it's own path.

The first takeaway here, for the OP and anyone reading this, is that blindly turning nuts, even with the best tools, and even adhering to specified torques has the potential to screw (no pun) things up. As a mechanic you need to keep your eyes open and be attuned to what's happening. If the turning bolt was spotted early in the process, the damage would have been much more limited.

Fortunately, there's an easy way past this (in this instance). The OP can simply buy a cap screw, or hex head bolt, so he can hold one end while turning the nut. Or he can buy one of those double ended hex head binder bolts like these.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-23-22, 10:04 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No way! I've never seen this before! Never!!! !!!
!!! !!!
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-23-22, 10:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I'd just go to Ace Hardware, buy the biggest SS hex head bolt that will fit through, a SS nut I liked, a few washers to sit on the outer flanges and use two wrenches. (Might want some wedgelike washers to distribute the load. I'd be looking through my odd parts for wedge shaped whatever I could cut and drill into washers.) I just did this on an old Miyata racing bike that spent real time left out in the rain. Threaded Campy-like seatpin stripped out early on.

Edit: and once again, FB beat me to it!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-23-22, 10:08 PM
Ratspeed

Originally Posted by FBinNY
BITD this wasn't all that rare, nor was it common either.

Odds are that the bolt key was never properly seated, and once it started turning, it simply cut it's own path.

The first takeaway here, for the OP and anyone reading this, is that blindly turning nuts, even with the best tools, and even adhering to specified torques has the potential to screw (no pun) things up. As a mechanic you need to keep your eyes open and be attuned to what's happening. If the turning bolt was spotted early in the process, the damage would have been much more limited.

Fortunately, there's an easy way past this (in this instance). The OP can simply buy a cap screw, or hex head bolt, so he can hold one end while turning the nut. Or he can buy one of those double ended hex head binder bolts like these.
Thanks for that. I actually remember the moment it happened. It was seated properly in place, and when I turned the wrench I heard and felt a sudden "give." I didn't know it had stripped, and I was able to obtain a good torque at first, so I thought nothing wrong until today when I removed the bolt, nut and washer completely and saw this mess.

The thing that strikes me is I have that 33-year old gazelle with a similar mechanism and I've never had this trouble. The steel on that bike is far superior to this. The Gazelle has stainless steel underneath, where this steel doesn't look or feel anything like it. It feels way softer.

I found those binding bolts like you linked, after I posted this, and that does look like a viable solution. But, do you recommend I find a tapered washer as well, to fill in the gap? Or should I just leave it hollow?

I'm also wondering, should I try to find some beveled washers? If I put the binder bolt on there, the torque would apply unevenly due to the angle of the housing.

Last edited by Ratspeed; 09-23-22 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 10:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Ratspeed
......But, do you recommend I find a tapered washer as well, to fill in the gap? Or should I just leave it hollow?
Ideally the head will span across the top. Otherwise, I suggest a structural washer (a thicker machined disc vs. the typical flat washer), to take the load. Even if you could find or make a conical washer to fill the gap you wouldn't want too. The compression driving the cone inward will tend to spread the ear outward, possible cracking it.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-23-22, 10:22 PM
Ratspeed

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Ideally the head will span across the top. Otherwise, I suggest a structural washer (a thicker machined disc vs. the typical flat washer), to take the load. Even if you could find or make a conical washer to fill the gap you wouldn't want too. The compression driving the cone inward will tend to spread the ear outward, possible cracking it.
Yeah, the conical thing, that was my thought too. Force applied incorrectly. Okay, thanks.
Old 09-23-22, 10:25 PM
Ratspeed

Originally Posted by cxwrench
No way! I've never seen this before! Never!!! !!!
!!! !!!
Dost I detect a slight sarcasm? Not that it's unwarranted. This was probably the most newbie'ish mistake I could have ever made, heh.
Old 09-23-22, 10:28 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by ratspeed
dost i detect a slight sarcasm? Not that it's unwarranted.

SLIGHT!!!!! Have you learned nothing?

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-24-22, 06:52 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
We have a bin full of 6 mm bolts and nuts at the shop for this reason.
Old 09-24-22, 03:50 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Could some of the "spherical" washers used for brake shoes be adapted for this application? The bolt diameter might be too small though. Just a thought/
Old 09-24-22, 04:50 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Why the shim?? Get the right size post for starters.
Old 09-24-22, 05:27 PM
Ratspeed

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Why the shim?? Get the right size post for starters.
You're talking about the seatpost? What do you mean it's not the right size?
Old 09-24-22, 05:31 PM
Ratspeed

Here was my fix, at least for now. Marine-grade Stainless Steel M8 bolt, two extra washers, and the two washers and nut that came with the bike.

Ace doesn't have much of a selection of Stainless Steel Metric items. They had no beveled washers or structural steel washers. They did have a nice bushing that could have added some extra strength but it was zinc-coated, not stainless. It's holding the seat up at least, for now!

Old 09-24-22, 07:18 PM
FBinNY 

Hopefully it;s just lighting and camera angle, but the left ear seems partly collapsed, and possibly touching it's opposite member.

If the ears touch anywhere, that will prevent proper clamping of the tube and you'll be over tightening to try to hold the post.

Take a look, and if it's not touching, all is good and you can file the above for future reference. Meanwhile, don't worry that it looks bad and that most of the pressure is at the base of the ear. That's actually in your favor since it minimizes stress on the ear itself.

Old 09-24-22, 09:19 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratspeed
You're talking about the seatpost? What do you mean it's not the right size?
you look to have a sleeved seattube.