Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

QR Rear wheel shift in frame?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-04-22, 10:22 AM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

My son has an older carbon Scott CR1, he's pretty strong, recently he has complained his rear rear wheel shifts in the frame under load.

Not always, but sometimes enough to cause the tire to rub on the non drive side chain stay. He has a new QR coming.
Is this a problem with his tightening of the QR's? Worn dropouts?

What is your method for tensioning QRs?
Would a better quality bike's dropouts be precise enough to prevent this?
Old 09-04-22, 10:31 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
1. Tell your son to get a genuine Shimano or Campy quick release. The aftermarket quick releases that have the mechanism obviously exposed don't grab nearly as tightly.
2. To tighten a QR hold the lever out parallel to the axel and tighten the nut on the opposite side until it is finger tight. Then push the QR lever so it is perpendicular to the axel. Make sure you position the QR lever so that you can get a finger behind it when you need to release it.
Old 09-04-22, 12:31 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I had that problem on my old 12-speed and it turned out to be a broken axel. It performed fine, but deflected a lot under heavy load. I'd check for that.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-04-22, 12:45 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I had that problem on my old 12-speed and it turned out to be a broken axel. It performed fine, but deflected a lot under heavy load. I'd check for that.
Agreed. The Scott CR1 is a relatively new carbon frame, and not an old steel frame with adjustable sliding dropouts. The axle should not move at all.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-04-22, 01:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
As Retro Grouch stated, get internal cam skewers and clamp them down tightly. That’ll likely be the end of it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-04-22, 01:46 PM
hevysrf

Thanks, I've just repacked the bearings for him, axle is good.
Internal campagnolo QR's ordered.
Likes For hevysrf:
Old 09-04-22, 01:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
As Retro Grouch stated, get internal cam skewers and clamp them down tightly. That’ll likely be the end of it.
I agree with bikes with horizontal drop outs, an internal cam QR, clamped very tight is essential. An external cam QR just won't cut it (in my experience).

But a modern bike with vertical drop outs? i've never had any shifting, ever with external cam QRs. Is it possible?

Originally Posted by hevysrf
Thanks, I've just repacked the bearings for him, axle is good.
Internal campagnolo QR's ordered.
hevysrf can you tell us if it's a horizontal drop out or vertical? The Campy QRs aren't a waste, but I dunno, I wouldn't think they'd be needed with vertical drop outs. I could be wrong and will welcome corrections.
Old 09-04-22, 02:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Rear wheels shift all the time regardless if the wheel is quick release or nut. After you centre the wheel between the frame (and rim brakes if you habe them), keep an eye that it's not shifting as you tighten the nut each turn or half turn. Sometimes it may be handy to jam a spacer each side of the wheel to keep it in place as you tighten. The problem you have is that the qr wasn't tight enough before you closed the lever.

Don't tighten it too much that you can close the lever. The lever should go all the way parallel to the frame and not sticking out. If it's sticking out, it's too tight.
Old 09-04-22, 03:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Rear wheels shift all the time regardless if the wheel is quick release or nut. After you centre the wheel between the frame (and rim brakes if you habe them), keep an eye that it's not shifting as you tighten the nut each turn or half turn. Sometimes it may be handy to jam a spacer each side of the wheel to keep it in place as you tighten. The problem you have is that the qr wasn't tight enough before you closed the lever.

Don't tighten it too much that you can close the lever. The lever should go all the way parallel to the frame and not sticking out. If it's sticking out, it's too tight.
No, no no...and no. The frame has vertical dropouts. No shifting at all should be happening. You should definitely not have 'jam a spacer' on each side of the wheel. To set the tension on the q/r skewers tighten the nut end enough that you start feeling the lever tighten up when it's halfway through it's travel. Do NOT close the lever against the frame or fork.
ETA: To complete the proper information a nutted axle wheel should NEVER shift in the dropouts. If it does you're doing it wrong.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-04-22, 05:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No, no no...and no. The frame has vertical dropouts. No shifting at all should be happening. You should definitely not have 'jam a spacer' on each side of the wheel. To set the tension on the q/r skewers tighten the nut end enough that you start feeling the lever tighten up when it's halfway through it's travel. Do NOT close the lever against the frame or fork.
ETA: To complete the proper information a nutted axle wheel should NEVER shift in the dropouts. If it does you're doing it wrong.
Thanks. I was about to post the same thing. If you’re doing it right, the wheel never shifts. Period.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-04-22, 05:06 PM
hevysrf

I'm an axle nut , 36 spoke, 50mm rim guy. didn't realize just how little clearance there is between tire and chain stay on these carbon diamond frames.

Old 09-04-22, 05:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
What are those pictures trying to show re: your problem?
Old 09-04-22, 05:20 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

But a modern bike with vertical drop outs? i've never had any shifting, ever with external cam QRs. Is it possible?
I use external cam QRs with vertical dropouts, and I agree with this - my rear wheel doesn't shift at all, and never has.
Old 09-04-22, 05:54 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
Those drop-out slots, although vertical, seem oversized, and rounded off on the bottom ends, not really vertical all the way down. Or is the second one the derailleur hanger? I can imagine the wheel moving some - there is slop enough. Having enough clamping force should still work, IF the dropouts themselves can take it.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 09-04-22, 06:31 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf

I'm an axle nut , 36 spoke, 50mm rim guy. didn't realize just how little clearance there is between tire and chain stay on these carbon diamond frames.

That pic of the NDS dropout seems totally wrong to me. My CF bikes all have a metal 'faceing' (prolly an insert glued to the carbon). Clamping directly to the carbon would be a total no/no for me...
A little more 'crunching and that axle end will be flush with the dropout side...
My guess is there 'was' an 'Insert' to face the dropout properly and take the skewer abuse (which fell off?) , which would account for the excess space in the dropout.
I wouldn't be using a QR with a serrated cap until some metal facing has been put back in place. That QR will eat the remainder of that dropout quickly...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: And the insert might also sleeve the inside of the Dropout, reducing the excess space and also taking the direct load off the dropout carbon. A good hard thump I can could see that dropout end cracking enough to loose a wheel.

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-04-22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-04-22, 06:37 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,038 Posts
can the mods combine this thread with the cracked head tube thread ?

appears to be issues one or both dropouts

might be more than Tulio Campagnolo himself can overcome
Old 09-04-22, 06:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
That pic of the NDS dropout seems totally wrong to me. My CF bikes all have a metal 'faceing' (prolly an insert glued to the carbon). Clamping directly to the carbon would be a total no/no for me...
A little more 'crunching and that axle end will be flush with the dropout side...
My guess is there 'was' an 'Insert' to face the dropout properly and take the skewer abuse (which fell off?) , which would account for the excess space in the dropout.
I wouldn't be using a QR with a serrated cap until some metal facing has been put back in place. That QR will eat the remainder of that dropout quickly...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: And the insert might also sleeve the inside of the Dropout, reducing the excess space and also taking the direct load off the dropout carbon. A good hard thump I can could see that dropout end cracking enough to loose a wheel.
There are tons of bikes and forks w/ 100% carbon dropouts...zero metal. Been like that for years, over 10 at least.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-04-22, 09:24 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
There are tons of bikes and forks w/ 100% carbon dropouts...zero metal. Been like that for years, over 10 at least.
maybe so, I don't go around checking dropouts... LOL, but my tarmac definitely has metal face on the NDS dropout...
Doesn't hurt to contact Scott, send them the pics and issue, and see what they come back with... especially the large extra space within the dropout. Are they that forward thinking to allow for a crappy wheel build?
TA droputs are one thing, but where there's a hard clamping effort on the resin face, I wouldn't be so happy. Myself, I will check future QR bikes/frames when/if I look for a buy...
Course it's doubtful that I'd get another rim brake bike, since I already have a boatload that will last to end of days...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-05-22, 12:30 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 682 Posts
Those dropouts look like they have been enlarged, either on purpose or from wear (too loose of a skewer). Those marks on the second pic also suggest that the axle is indeed shifting, but it shouldn't be even if the skewer is out. I just took these pics for comparison. Note the tighter clearances.

Old 09-05-22, 07:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Yep, I have a 2007 Look 595. Rear dropouts are all carbon
Old 09-05-22, 08:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
In the pics that the OP posted, it almost looks as if the that’s a front axle in those larger rear dropouts. I mean it isn’t possible that a rear wheel was mistakenly assembled with a front axle is it?

Dan
Old 09-05-22, 08:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
What size of tires are you using?

You might benefit of simply reducing the tire size by one size. Especially if the son is fairly lightweight.

On one bike, I found a benefit of giving the drive side skewer nut a slight tug back before tightening down. Keeping the wheel centered, but just enough to pull the skewer shaft to back of the axle hole.
Old 09-05-22, 08:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Could it be the wheel/spoke tension and just being flexy under load? Or the frame itself flexing?
Tried just bending the frame/wheel side to side while off the bike, using body weight and strength?
Old 09-05-22, 08:44 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,038 Posts
the dropouts are trashed

not uncommon on the Scott CR1 frame carbon dropouts

(google search brings up a number of related threads)
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-05-22, 09:02 AM
hevysrf

23mm tires, spokes tensioned and wheels true, cones adusted .
Dropouts do seem to have more clearance than I would expect.
I'm not sure this happens constantly. Skewers may just have been improperly adjusted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.