Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My first time with clipless.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My first time with clipless.

Old 09-23-22, 12:54 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Thanks for this thread. It made me realize why 'clipless' doesn't work for me. Bike shoes that fit my forefoot are loose in the heel., so I have to swivel my foot farther than designers expect, too far to easily unclip. Custom shoes do not fit my budget. Compared to pinned flats and toe clips/straps, and even clips/straps/cleats, clipless might work worse for me even if I raced.
Old 09-23-22, 02:37 PM
Spartazoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started cycling in March of 22 as a way to get fit again. Now I am hooked. I too am in the process of upgrading my bike to clipless pedals and shoes. I am going with Shimano dual pedals so I can still take a stroll with tennis shoes. I will probably be ready next week for my maiden voyage. We will see how this goes...
Old 09-23-22, 02:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I don't know if it is the clips or the shoes themselves, but today I used flat peddles along with generic running shoes on two rather short rides, and am now experiencing considerable discomfort, which surprises me.

I used to say I liked to clip in for security, which is basically psychological, but right now I am wondering how I could ever ride flats again. It might be just the shoes, but even 5/10s that I used to use a few years ago are now problematic.

This really makes commuting and single-track (instances where I prefer flats) vexing. I hate being vexed.
Old 09-25-22, 08:21 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
if you are accustomed to rigid bike shoes - flexible running shoes could lead to problems

???
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-25-22, 08:56 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
if you are accustomed to rigid bike shoes - flexible running shoes could lead to problems

???
At a minimum, the muscles of your feet will probably need to develop some strength they lack. With flexible running shoes and platform pedals, there is an exertion required in the muscles of the foot that may be unfamiliar.

Since the large pedals distribute the pedal force without a sharp pressure edge like old metal pedals, it needn’t be a problem. Just a matter of conditioning, at least in my experience.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-25-22, 11:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I got used to flats (along with 5/10s) about 8 years ago. I took a year or so off from SPDs after a severe ankle fracture. Since everything hurt a lot back then, I didn't pay attention, but since then I've likely let some muscle groups atrophy while others strengthened. I was kind of shocked how extreme it is, however.
Old 09-25-22, 11:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by t2p

???
I use the stiffest Shimano XC shoe available, so this makes sense. My surgeon said I had "flexible flat feet" in a way that made it clear it was a Bad Thing.
Old 09-26-22, 11:56 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Generally I use double sided SPDs. I had a knee replaced and traveled to the Lower 48 for the procedure, staying with my son and the rotten grandkids. I bought a road bike there and set it up with the SPD pedals that have a flat side. I was concerned about clipping out with the surgical knee. It worked fine for the rehab period and I was fine with clipping in about 5 weeks post op. But the bike stayed in the Lower 48 with the combo pedals. It turned out to be perfect for riding with a 6 and 8 year old. You won’t believe the number of times you have to put your foot down with little ****ers. That was a positive unintended consequence of flat pedals. So that is that.

Mike