Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Check your Speedplay cleat/pedals

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 11:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts

Basically my time trial aero data went into the toilet. I was on the same equipment and bike fit. So started digging. Brakes not rubbing, tires inflated, hub good, bottom bracket fine, chain fine. Speedplays spun fine.

But I noticed a groove enough on both sides where the cleat has been digging enough I could put a fingernail in the groove.

I threw the road bike Shimano pedals on it and re-did the same road on the TT bike for a Notio test today. I've not gotten home yet to analyze it in Golden Cheetah..........but it's easily in the 20w+ range of loss that was going on.

The last bad day with the Speedplays: 2 u-turns and 22.8mph on 219w AP with less elevation than today, but same exact roads and almost exact same wind direction and speeds (wind doesn't matter as the Notio reads it)
Today on the Shimanos without rub/grinding: 8-turns and 23.1mph on 208 AP with more elevation

So yeah......I don't need Golden Cheetah to see the cleats were effing up there.

So, if you run Speedplays go check if the cleats are rocking inwards when you pedal and causing the cleat to grind into the spindle. You could be losing a pile of watts and ruining your pedals.

I didn't post in the general forum, cuz, well, eff those guys if they want to be trolls all the time. I'll just share the PSA with you all in here.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-16-22, 02:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
That is a lot of power. Thanks for heads up.