Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Playing favorites

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 04:53 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Playing favorites

What's your favorite bike? And why?

I ask because I have several bikes, all older used bikes. My CF Specialized Roubiax is light, fast and reliable. It's the road bike I paid the most for and should be my favorite. But somehow it's not. Last year, I picked up a K2 from around the same era as the Roubiax. It's aluminum frame with CF forks and seat stays, so it's also light, but not quite as light as the Roubiax. It is similarly equipped with 105 hardware, but I have had issues getting the shifting set up correctly. And I've had some bad luck on the bike, include that one spill last fall when I broke my wrist.

Yet somehow, for reasons I can't explain, I just like this bike better than the Roubiax. It doesn't really make sense. By all rights, the Specialized is a better bike. But there's just that thing, you know, a thing you just can't describe, that makes me like this K2 better.

Roubiax:

K2:

Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-13-23, 06:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I have a 1984 Nishiki International 12-speed that just speaks to something in my soul. From a technical standpoint it's not my best bike, but it feels more right in my body and mind.

We admire perfection in people and things, but we love people and things that approach perfection despite their faults and short-comings. I suspect it's because they're more like us. Or maybe that's just me.

Technical excellence can be measures empirically. True love and desire rely on an murky, inexact alchemy involving emotions, past experience, aspirations, other intangibles and a little magic.
Old 03-13-23, 07:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
A steel frame road bike that I built during the winter of 2018 in a local class. It fits perfectly without any kludge adjustments, which at my height and classic steel frames, is rare.
2x11 drivetrain, 32mm tires, rim brake. Perfect.
Old 03-13-23, 07:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Is your avatar King Kong on a bicycle?
Old 03-13-23, 09:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I'll take a turn, even tho' picking one best is impossible. Been in the road bike rabbit hole for 35+ years. Vintage, modern, e-bike.

When on the bike I feel racy. Here's the vintage and 'modern' tailor-made favorites.

Must be the Campagnolo. DeRosa and Calfee.
Old 03-13-23, 09:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've got a small handful of bikes. Strangely enough, my favorite is the oldest and least expensive (even though it's not rideable at the moment -- Shade Tree Mechanic needs to get busy!). I don't know why; I've got a couple custom bikes that are good, but not as much fun as the old Fuji Touring.

This apparent disconnect between specs and comfort, or price and fun riding, is the reason I recommend to newbies, Go to your LBS and ride some bikes. Pick your favorite, because that's the one you'll want to ride most.
Old 03-13-23, 10:30 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I'm guessing the K2 probably fits you better than the Roubaix.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-13-23, 10:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I have 10 bikes. I use Strava to record mileage etc. and I make sure that each ride is properly assigned to the bike I rode. In 2020 and 2021, I split my riding up so that all the bikes got a fair amount of use. Last year, though, I really favored one bike - the 1995 Litespeed Ultimate I bought at the end of 2021 and built up in early 2022. I put about half my total mileage on that one bike. I'd sometimes ride other bikes, and remember why I liked them, but if I was daydreaming about a ride, it would be on the Litespeed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-13-23, 11:17 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
One thing I notice is that the saddle on the Specialized has a noticeable up-tilt to the front. Try levelling it out
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-13-23, 12:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Is your avatar King Kong on a bicycle?
Sorta. Its a tattoo on my back right calf. Sasquatch riding a bike. Or a gorilla riding a bike...same difference. 6'5 220 and I often feel like that when riding next to people.
Old 03-13-23, 12:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
My favorite bike now is not even a bike, it is a trike.
Old 03-13-23, 12:44 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Yet somehow, for reasons I can't explain, I just like this bike better than the Roubiax. It doesn't really make sense. By all rights, the Specialized is a better bike. But there's just that thing, you know, a thing you just can't describe, that makes me like this K2 better.
More than likely that "thing" is the that geometry of the K2 bike fits you better.

If the specialized had that same exact geometry than it would be better from a frame standpoint. Carbon > Aluminum.
Old 03-13-23, 12:56 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My favorite bike now is not even a bike, it is a trike.
Well then, my favorite trike is a bike...
Old 03-13-23, 06:35 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I have a 1984 Nishiki International 12-speed that just speaks to something in my soul. From a technical standpoint it's not my best bike, but it feels more right in my body and mind.

We admire perfection in people and things, but we love people and things that approach perfection despite their faults and short-comings. I suspect it's because they're more like us. Or maybe that's just me.

Technical excellence can be measures empirically. True love and desire rely on an murky, inexact alchemy involving emotions, past experience, aspirations, other intangibles and a little magic.
This guy gets it.
Originally Posted by Lombard
Probably. I may do some measurements at some point to see why it's different since they're both supposed to be 49cm frames.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
One thing I notice is that the saddle on the Specialized has a noticeable up-tilt to the front. Try levelling it out
That's not my normal riding position. I was just messing with the angle when I took the pic.
Old 03-13-23, 08:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I have a 2016 Trek Emonda ALR that fits me like a glove and I absolutely love it. Bought it over the Emonda SL I was looking at at the time as I found the ride better and it cost a lot less as a benefit. I have a very nice Domane SLR 7 AXS, but the Emonda is my go to ride. Love the Emonda so much, I put Force AXS on it recently and just put some new Ritchey bars on it. I need to update the pic.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-13-23, 08:14 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Probably. I may do some measurements at some point to see why it's different since they're both supposed to be 49cm frames.
Geometry is almost certainly different as well as little differences in fit.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-13-23, 09:51 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
It’s worth taking the time to figure out what it is about the K2 that makes you like it more so that if you’re in the market for a bike in the future, you can choose one with those characteristics.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 03-13-23, 09:55 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by asgelle
It’s worth taking the time to figure out what it is about the K2 that makes you like it more so that if you’re in the market for a bike in the future, you can choose one with those characteristics.
Good point.
Old 03-14-23, 03:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
mountain bike, not so much because of the bike, but rather because of where I go on it

Old 03-14-23, 04:50 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
This.

If we assume that the saddle, bars, seat post, stem, every contact point is the same (are they?), the fit could be as close as possible, but probably not exactly the same between the two. Fit measurements always have at least a little +/-). As a starter, it could definitely be the photo angles, but it looks like the saddle-bar drop looks different, but that's just one of the main fit measurements.

On top of that, there could be very small and subtle differences in the geometry that just make the bike feel better in whatever way a bike would feel better to her. Angles, BB drop, chain stay, wheel base, etc. Feeling better could be in any number of ways: over all comfort, handling, stability, the way it rolls over imperfect surfaces, let alone differences in contact points that might not actually be the same exact parts (similar is not the same as identical). We'd have to know all the differences in parts, geometry and measurements.

But it really doesn't matter - there's no arguing with an opinion that something just feels better for no obvious reason. It's good to have a favorite bike! Be glad you have one and aren't always searching for it!

Last edited by Camilo; 03-14-23 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-15-23, 12:54 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Easy Racer Ti Rush long wheelbase recumbent
Old 04-20-23, 09:05 PM
VegasJen

Bumping my thread here.

Since I'm getting ready for a tri next weekend, I wanted to get some seat time on the Roubiax and see if that was the bike I would use again. Since I bought it a couple years ago, it was my go-to bike for triathlons, mainly just for the weight.

But I rode it today for the first time in probably six months and I think I figured out why I don't like that bike as much as I feel I should. It's a fast bike for me, there's no doubt. But it has a weird feel to it, like it transmits more road harshness than my aluminum bikes. Is this a normal experience with CF bikes?

I find that I feel every little crack or pebble on the road, and I'm constantly checking my tires to make sure they're not going down. It's almost like the entire bike vibrates with road input. So even though the bike is fast and smooth, I just never feel comfortable on it. Not a physical comfort, but a psychological comfort, like I'm going to be stranded on the side of the road at any minute. Ironically, I think I've only had one flat the entire time I've had this bike. I had two flats the first two weeks I had my Ridley. Go figure.
Old 04-21-23, 05:41 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bumping my thread here.

Since I'm getting ready for a tri next weekend, I wanted to get some seat time on the Roubiax and see if that was the bike I would use again. Since I bought it a couple years ago, it was my go-to bike for triathlons, mainly just for the weight.

But I rode it today for the first time in probably six months and I think I figured out why I don't like that bike as much as I feel I should. It's a fast bike for me, there's no doubt. But it has a weird feel to it, like it transmits more road harshness than my aluminum bikes. Is this a normal experience with CF bikes?

I find that I feel every little crack or pebble on the road, and I'm constantly checking my tires to make sure they're not going down. It's almost like the entire bike vibrates with road input. So even though the bike is fast and smooth, I just never feel comfortable on it. Not a physical comfort, but a psychological comfort, like I'm going to be stranded on the side of the road at any minute. Ironically, I think I've only had one flat the entire time I've had this bike. I had two flats the first two weeks I had my Ridley. Go figure.
When a bike transmits more road harshness than another bike, my first suspect is your tires. What size and type of tires do you have on this bike compared to your other more comfortable bike?

Frame material has very little to do with comfort. Frame geometry and tube shapes however can have some affect on comfort.
Old 04-21-23, 10:03 AM
VegasJen

When a bike transmits more road harshness than another bike, my first suspect is your tires. What size and type of tires do you have on this bike compared to your other more comfortable bike?

Frame material has very little to do with comfort. Frame geometry and tube shapes however can have some affect on comfort.
I don't recall exactly which tires at the moment. I think they're either Vittoria or Contis. As for the tubes, I pretty much run Kenda in all my 23c tires. Right now, most of my bikes run 23c because that's what was on them when I got them and I just didn't know better. As I replace tires, I'm starting to experiment with 25c and 28c. Have 25c on my K2. I didn't really notice much change in the ride quality with that small change.
Old 04-21-23, 10:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,546 Times in 1,784 Posts
I don't recall exactly which tires at the moment. I think they're either Vittoria or Contis. As for the tubes, I pretty much run Kenda in all my 23c tires. Right now, most of my bikes run 23c because that's what was on them when I got them and I just didn't know better. As I replace tires, I'm starting to experiment with 25c and 28c. Have 25c on my K2. I didn't really notice much change in the ride quality with that small change.
As you change to wider tires, remember to adjust your tire pressure downwards.

The ride will be smoother, and your rolling resistance will likely decrease (depending on the road surface).

I use the Silca Tire Pressure Calculator as a guide.

Likes For terrymorse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.