Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride Report | Mauna Kea | The Hardest Climb in the World

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 06:59 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Long story short: I've been toying with the idea of riding Mauna Kea for 10 years and last month was my opportunity to take on this epic challenge. Mauna Kea is the largest bike climb in the world, starting at the Pacific Ocean you ride a nearly non-stop climb to the summit at 13,803 ft / 4,207 m. I pulled the plug before the summit, but rode from the beach to the Mauna Kea Visitor's Center at 9,200 ft / 2,800 m and I'm proud of that effort!

Link to blog post with full ride report and featuring my margin writing skills:
https://bikesbeersstuff.blogspot.com...rld-mauna.html

I'll post a link to my YouTube edit in this thread, give me a week to slap it together.

Here a few pics to go with the short story:

The start at Waikōloa Beach

That feeling when you didn't bring small enough gears and burned too much energy on the easy parts of the ride:

Feeling good but calling it a day at 9,200 ft above the beach start and after 5+ hours of constant climbing.

The whole family jumped in the Jeep to drive to the summit at 13,800 ft ... this doesn't look like Hawai'i at all!

Old 03-13-23, 10:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 732 Posts
Awesome climb!!!
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-13-23, 01:08 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Nice report!! Great effort.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-13-23, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Congrats!

Ready for another?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-13-23, 01:48 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Iride01
Congrats!

Ready for another?
I'm a little shocked that Frau Toad is open to a revisit to Mauna Kea, but that does mean she gets to go to Hawai'i again ... so that might have some influence on her interest.

Before another trip to Hawai'i, I've got number of gravel events. Starting with the Ragnarök 105, gravel roads on April 1 in Minnesota can be interesting ... and with the snowpack we have this year, I kinda nervous about the conditions for this one!
Old 03-13-23, 01:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Way ta go! that's better than I could ever expect to do! It looks like the climb starts halfway easy, encouraging you to overcook yourself before the real hard stuff starts.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-13-23, 01:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Well also consider Mt Evans and Pikes Peak. Both in Colorado. I should have gone out to Hawaii when one of my son's was there for a few years. Now I have no other reason and my wife won't go just for me to do a climb.

Pikes Peak is still on my to-do list. But Mt Evans has a lot going for it since you can start far or near to the top with ease.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-13-23, 02:07 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Great going!!

Was it twice as hard as your training ride from Estes Park into the Rocky Mt Park? Three times as hard?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-13-23, 02:19 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
That is freaking EPIC. Supercool.

So you took the Jeep the rest of the way to the summit, which is understandable... but then did you descend on your bike?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 03-13-23, 03:46 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
So you took the Jeep the rest of the way to the summit, which is understandable... but then did you descend on your bike?
LOL! I'm a freak in the bike world, I love a challenging climb but I'm white-knuckled descending. My buddy made it to the summit and road back down to the visitor's center because his support driver didn't have a vehicle that could go to the summit.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Was it twice as hard as your training ride from Estes Park into the Rocky Mt Park? Three times as hard?
It's more like a different universe! My ride up Old Fall River Rd starts with an easy 8-9 miles climbing 1,000 ft before the 8.5 mile climb up 3,000 ft. But Mauna Kea is 40 miles climbing 6,700 ft, then it gets HARD. I did a terrible job pacing the start of Mauna Kea and totally underestimated the amount of energy that first 40 miles would take.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well also consider Mt Evans and Pikes Peak. Both in Colorado. I should have gone out to Hawaii when one of my son's was there for a few years. Now I have no other reason and my wife won't go just for me to do a climb.

Pikes Peak is still on my to-do list. But Mt Evans has a lot going for it since you can start far or near to the top with ease.
I've got a chance of doing Pikes Peak late this year before a business event in Colorado Springs, if that doesn't work out, it's still on my list!

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Way ta go! that's better than I could ever expect to do! It looks like the climb starts halfway easy, encouraging you to overcook yourself before the real hard stuff starts.
You nailed it, it's too easy to feel good and use too much energy too early. You really need to stay in zone 2 all the way to the Mauna Kea Access Rd, because the climb from the Access Rd to the summit is the 4th hardest climb by itself! I was humbled when we saw Cory zig-zagging the road near the summit.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-15-23, 12:58 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Well done! Very impressive.
Old 03-15-23, 04:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4397 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Cool ride. I've done a few 4000+ m climbing days, but not a single climb like that. Great effort!