Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tips for out of shape man?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 02:43 PM
whm1974

Bikes: 26" Diamondback DBW 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I used ride everywhere, outside the small city where I live. Stopped doing that after I gotten my disability ~10 Y/O ago. Did buy a new 26" road bike to replace a 24" MTB, big mistake there. The shop I purchased it from is not selling new bikes anymore. Can ride the 26" bike, but it is harder now that I'm middle age.

The bike is a diamondback edgewood dbw 700 model. Took off the cargo rack off after falling out last year.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-23, 02:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
What makes your new bike hard to ride?

EDIT: I stopped riding for 15 years. 3 years ago (at the age of 52), I got back on my bike, and have worked my way back to being in fairly decent shape....and lost a bunch of weight. For me, the big key in getting back my fitness is being fairly consistent with my riding schedule.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-21-23 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 02:50 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
First of all- middle age is not that old. Don't sell yourself short. Secondly- what about the current 26" road bike is hard for you to ride? Is the position adjusted correctly? If the seat is uncomfortable- that is normal. You just have to get your rear end toughened up.3 weeks of riding will do that.
Old 03-21-23, 03:41 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Start slow, don't get frustrated, and just enjoy riding. Welcome back.
Old 03-21-23, 04:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I also came back after about 10 years off and agree with the above statements that you need to set a consistent schedule and start slow. I have been back at it for about 3 years now and have to remind myself that I will likely never reach the ability I had in my 20's, but I can keep losing weight and staying in shape.
Old 03-21-23, 04:57 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Start off with modest goals that you can consistently achieve. If you can get on a schedule of riding for a specific length of time for a set number of days each week then you will have a good chance of success. If you keep it up you will eventually begin to ride for longer times and more distance. Having a bicycle that fits you well and you find comfortable is most important as well.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 03-21-23, 05:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
Having a bicycle that fits you well and you find comfortable is most important as well.
This ^^^ !!!

A bike that is uncomfortable, or you aren't confident in, is demotivating. Bikes should be exciting enough that you WANT to ride!
Old 03-21-23, 05:25 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by whm1974
I used ride everywhere, outside the small city where I live. Stopped doing that after I gotten my disability ~10 Y/O ago. Did buy a new 26" road bike to replace a 24" MTB, big mistake there. The shop I purchased it from is not selling new bikes anymore. Can ride the 26" bike, but it is harder now that I'm middle age.

The bike is a diamondback edgewood dbw 700 model. Took off the cargo rack off after falling out last year.

Thanks.
The only question mark I saw was in your subject “Tips for out of shape man?” So…my answer would be…that for you to get from “out of shape” to ‘in shape’ you need to exercise regularly. Like several times per week. It doesn’t have to be bicycle riding, but…since you mentioned a couple of different bikes…it sounds like you want to add bicycling to your routine. It can be bicycling AND other activities like running, swimming, rowing, weights, etc. Now I’m not a certified fitness expert, but at 62 years old…like many in this forum…I’ve been doing fitness stuff since I was in my teems. Like what was alluded to in other posts above…you need to figure out which bike you want to use, and get it adjusted so that it’s comfortable to ride. If that can’t be done, get one that is comfortable. You don’t have to start out riding hundreds of miles per week. None of us did. But just do it regularly, and try to always be adding to your base. Like I said…I’m not a certified fitness expert. So, if you’re sincere about getting in shape, perhaps you should consult with one to help you map out a plan to build on. Good luck.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-21-23, 06:24 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Echoing the prior sentiments, there's nothing more important that having a bike that feels good. If you ride very far, your butt will be sore at the start no matter what what. But everything else should be comfortable.

I started riding in my 50s after 30 years off the bike. Tried a couple of bikes in the first month and then found a bike I really liked riding. Made all the difference and I wanted to ride as often as I could. In the first three to six months you'll see fairly rapid progress in terms of the speed and distance you can comfortably handle. Then you tend to plateau and you have to work a lot harder to improve. Or not if you don't care to.
Old 03-21-23, 09:04 PM
whm1974

Bikes: 26" Diamondback DBW 700

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Well guys I had the bike for ~10 years and didn't riding all that much like I did when I was working. Really let myself go. My previous bikes were 24" MTB. I plan on replacing the 26" road bike with one like I used to ride. Went to the city park today and yesterday so making progress.

The streets around here in Madison and St Clare Counties IL are and not the best, and good MTB are the best suited for riding.
Likes For whm1974:
Old 03-21-23, 09:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Good saddle, good cycling shorts, good padded gloves, comfortable shoes.
A big smile.
Desire to get it right.
Old 03-21-23, 09:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Well guys I had the bike for ~10 years and didn't riding all that much like I did when I was working. Really let myself go. My previous bikes were 24" MTB. I plan on replacing the 26" road bike with one like I used to ride. Went to the city park today and yesterday so making progress.

The streets around here in Madison and St Clare Counties IL are and not the best, and good MTB are the best suited for riding.
If you have a park you can ride in that's great. Just get some saddle time a few days per week if you can, and keep it fun.
Old 03-21-23, 10:38 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
for me the hardest part is always the first step, gets a lot easier after that,
Also; The law of inertia, or Newton's 1st law of Mechanic, body at rest stays at rest, unless it is acted upon by an external force, and a moving body keeps moving unless . . . etc,
Old 03-21-23, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
I think we need to discuss the cargo rack issue. How did you fall out? Or did it fall out? Or did you fall out of the rack? If we can solve this riddle, it may hold the key for getting back into shape (since you brought it up).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-22-23, 05:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
As others have said, the top tip is to exercise consistently for the rest of your life. Exercise needs to become an essential part of your weekly routine.

I know a lot of people who decide to get fit, start going to the gym or riding a bike or whatever - for a few weeks or even a few months, maybe a year. They get fitter and then at some point they start to lose interest. 6 months later they are back to doing nothing and they might as well have not bothered in the first place. Don't be that guy.
Old 03-22-23, 05:45 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention proper use of the gears. Keeping it in high gear does not make you go faster; it just makes it harder to pedal. Keep a low enough gear that your feet are turning 80-100 rpm all the time. Any time your feet get outside of that, feel free to shift up or down to regain the correct cadence.

As far as the wheel size, it really doesn't matter. Maybe the current bike is too big for you - which is a frame issue, not a wheel size issue. You should be able to comfortably straddle the top tube without banging any tender bits. Adjust the saddle so that it leaves your knees slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. This necessarily means that you cannot sit on the seat when your feet are on the ground. If that's a feature you want, you should look for a different style of bike, a cruiser, which puts the pedals further forward.

Your current bike is not a 26" bike, it has 700c wheels, which are roughly - but not exactly - the same size as the old 27" standard. If you only ride on paved trails and streets, you can always change the tires to something with more or a road tread.
Old 03-22-23, 06:19 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
My First Year at 9,000 mile mark.
Ended The year w 11,200 Miles.
I was 66 Y/O

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-25-23 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-22-23, 06:27 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 373 Posts
Don't compare yourself to what you were 10 years ago. Look forward. Bike forward.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-22-23, 06:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Have your bike tuned-up by a shop. a cleaned and lubed tuned drive train, wheel and crank bearings may just rejuvenate both your bike and you.
Old 03-22-23, 06:39 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I used ride everywhere, outside the small city where I live. Stopped doing that after I gotten my disability ~10 Y/O ago ... harder now that I'm middle age.
Really let myself go.
Okay. So, injuries and/or disabilities. And let yourself "go."

Do your legs function appropriately, suitable for at least some exercise, perhaps suitable specifically for use of a bicycle (even a seated/safe gym type cycling station)?

Does your sense of balance function appropriately, sufficient for simple weight-bearing exercise, simple gym "floor" exercises, and/or suitable for maintaining safe balance while cycling?

Do you have a muscle strength problem or limitation that would get in the way of general exercise or (seated gym) cycling?

Do you have a cardiovascular limitation that would inhibit exercise, or cycling specifically?

My own situation:
Decades ago, I had a near-catastrophic injury to some muscles in a leg. Took years to fully recover. And at about middle-age the injury's inherent weakness began to get serious enough that power levels were down from that "fully-recovered" state. Balance was down, ability to exercise frequently (at any sort of "decent" level of output) was down.

My solution was: start slow, with something stable and effective for boosting my cardio and enlisting my legs' muscles, then keeping at it and general exercise/weights until such time as I strengthened sufficiently to add more-general activities. Began on seated cycling and rowing stations at the gym, and incorporated weight training ... this done daily for nearly three years. Gradually, too damned gradually IMO, the legs got stronger and overall my balance improved sufficiently to the point I could do on-bike cycling on the roadways. At which point, adding in frequent cycling and commuting became easy. The key: starting slowly, safely, then keeping up with it, daily, plus as much stretching as necessary; eventually, your body will "wake up" again and begin working better ... even if it takes years of such turn-around. IOW, the body knows what to do, so long as you push it along down the right path.

Can't say that this will necessarily work in your case, as it's unclear exactly what your disability's limitations are. But, assuming you've got some balance and some muscle function, it ought to be possible. Try finding a couple of different physical exertions that you can do daily, do safely, and do sufficiently energetically to benefit your cardio and muscular needs. In time, I'll bet you will see sufficient improvements and increases in strength and ability that'll allow you to regularly (perhaps even daily) engage in cycling or other activities.
Old 03-22-23, 06:54 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Similar situation here. Was an active cyclist/power lifter... life got in the way of that, coupled with a back injury that had me sidelined for the better part of 10 years.

Got fat, very fat -along with all of the other health issues that go along with that.

First - diet is absolutely 90% of the equation. Without eating right - you will be fighting a very hard battle.

Baby steps at first. Don't over do, don't burn out.

I started by walking at lunch. 1/2 hour here, 1/2 hour there.

Then I got the bike fired back up. Was inconsistent, rode way to hard, had constant muscle soreness and burnout. I was riding too hard trying to recreate my youth.

Then I scaled back intensity, rode easy rides, added volume & before I knew it - metric centuries and full centuries were possible.

Then I added structured training a few times per year.

Many bumps, bruises and setbacks along the way - but you have to keep at it. Don't stop in the winter, don't stop just to stop, do something easy when on business trips or vacation, do take time to recover and incorporate easy months.

This took 4+ years. Patience is key.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 03-22-23, 07:33 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
I got on a bicycle for the first time since I was 12 at 50 years old. I weighed 360 lbs. and couldn't ride it out of sight before I had to get off and walk. I got my diet right and cycled EVERY day. Actually 360 days that first year. Sometimes it was only for 10-15 minuets, but I did a few miles every day and was averaging a bit over 100 miles a week by the end of that first year. In less than 18 months I went from 360 lbs. to a very fit 170 lbs.

Nothing worthwhile is easy but you can do it.
Old 03-22-23, 08:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
tips for out of shape man
for me it's about motivation
if I don't have it I don't work out
I'm on week 3 of nothing
then there's life disasters & obligations that pull me away from my own self care
back to motivation - it's different for everyone, I think. what motivates me, wouldn't necessarily motivate someone else. & vice a versa
good luck finding your own personal motivation
Old 03-22-23, 08:32 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Make and find a variety of routes that you find interesting and enjoyable.
Rides can be a great source of joy and you will find yourself looking forward to them.
Rides will not be exercise alone, but become part of your lifestyle.
Old 03-22-23, 08:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Little and often is a good tip for making it sustainable. It's less daunting if you only commit 20 or 30 mins of your time 3 or 4 times per week. Which is a good idea when starting from scratch anyway. Those who steam into it full-on tend to blow-up within the first 6 months or just lose motivation.

Make exercise a simple habit.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.