Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torpedo Automatic hub overhaul

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-23, 01:31 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts

Has anyone here ever overhauled a Torpedo Automatic hub? I started to take it apart and only got here and can't figure out how the rest of it comes off the axle. I attached the screenshot from Sutherland's manual as well and it's still not clear to me. Manual just says remove these pieces but doesn't say how. They don't slide off, something is keeping them attached. Any advice appreciated. Might post over on the mechanics forum as well. Thanks.

Old 03-19-23, 03:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Never had an Automatic but you should get all the info you need on Hubstripping
Old 03-20-23, 09:42 AM
Force 

Originally Posted by clubman
Never had an Automatic but you should get all the info you need on Hubstripping
Thanks for your response. I had looked at hubstripping previously, but the links to the information I need no longer exist. So, still looking for help! Hopefully someone has done this before. Am also going to reach out to Jens Hansen in Germany.
Old 03-20-23, 02:02 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
How many speeds does this have?
Old 03-20-23, 08:14 PM
Force 

Originally Posted by Lattz
How many speeds does this have?
Two
Old 03-20-23, 08:23 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
This should help - it's my description of dismantling and rebuilding a Torpedo Duomatic hub on Flickr, which in many ways is the same, and there are photos of an original Torpedo Automatic schematic there.

When rebuilding it's important to use the right lubricants - mainly not to use grease on the pawls.
Old 03-20-23, 09:05 PM
Force 

Originally Posted by Dawes-man
This should help - it's my description of dismantling and rebuilding a Torpedo Duomatic hub on Flickr, which in many ways is the same, and there are photos of an original Torpedo Automatic schematic there.

When rebuilding it's important to use the right lubricants - mainly not to use grease on the pawls.
Thank you. These documents are great resources. I see your photos and I have the schematic for the Automatic. I am trying to remove the driver bush assembly and planet carrier assembly (see circled below). They aren't just lifting off from the axle, something seems like it is attached that prevents me from being able to lift it off. I am confused, because the schematic does not seem to show anything that would prevent me from lifting these parts off the axle. Do you remember how these similar parts were removed from your Duomatic? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-20-23, 09:54 PM
Dawes-man
十人十色

If I remember correctly, you need to take the pawls and planet gears out of the planet carrier before it will come off the axle but I'm not sure about what needs to be done to remove the brake cone assembly. It should come off in a spiral motion. One thing is for sure, though, it should come off effortlessly (just in case you're tempted to use force). There is a circlip that may need to be removed. I'm afraid it's been a while since I worked on my Automatic (for I have one of those, too) and I've forgotten.
Old 03-21-23, 05:36 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
You can check this as well, the guy has more video on Torpedos.
Old 03-21-23, 07:56 AM
Force 

Originally Posted by Lattz
You can check this as well, the guy has more video on Torpedos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0eWaoNhC-w
Thanks for this as well. I had watched that and it compounded my confusion, since he just lifts those parts off of the axle very easily. I contacted Jens at torpedo-coasterbrake.com and he thinks the old grease has "glued" the parts on the axle. There was a ton of what appeared to be original, hardened grease everywhere when I opened the hub. I will keep working at it. I have another one of these hubs and I am tempted to open it up and see if it is easier to work with. Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 03-21-23, 09:10 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Originally Posted by Force
I contacted Jens at torpedo-coasterbrake.com and he thinks the old grease has "glued" the parts on the axle.!
Jens is a really good guy, who knows these hubs inside out. If he's pointing at old grease I would soak the hub in some sort of degreaser for a couple of days and have another go.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...
Old 03-21-23, 09:25 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
A gallery of Duomatics disassembled

https://www.808.dk/?duomatic-models

Anything in Sutherland's of help?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherl...GH-3-sachs.pdf
Old 03-21-23, 10:36 AM
Force 

Originally Posted by Dawes-man
Jens is a really good guy, who knows these hubs inside out. If he's pointing at old grease I would soak the hub in some sort of degreaser for a couple of days and have another go.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...
Thanks. Yes, Jens seems like a good guy with a wealth of knowledge. And he shares my obsession with these hubs! I will degrease some more and hopefully it will come apart easily.
Old 03-29-23, 10:45 AM
Force 

Success! After some more soaking, I was able to remove these parts from the axle. For what it is worth, pulling the axle away from the parts was helpful whereas I previously was trying to pull the parts off of the axle. The old grease on this hub was pretty amazing - I don't think it had ever been opened. Hoping to rebuild this hub and give it a shot soon! Thanks all!
Likes For Force: