Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Garage Finds: Peter Mooney, Woodrup Cycles, Puch & Nishiki

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Garage Finds: Peter Mooney, Woodrup Cycles, Puch & Nishiki

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 01:21 PM
gazman22

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Puch -

if curious, it might be of interest to see if there is/was a parallel A-D model

recall the A-D line as launching 1977-78...may be off slightly

Puch looks as though it may be slightly earlier than this so possible there may no be a close parallel

-----
This is the Puch Royal X, there was also a Puch Royal Force. I do not know the time and feature differences between the two. One of them paralleled the A-D Vent Noir.
Likes For gazman22:
Old 03-21-23, 02:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1

BITD we used these "rub-downs" a lot for what we called "comps" (not for complimentary but for comprehensive) and by a brand name "Cromatec". They were made with a process that shared some aspects of screen-printing but also different, and the finished product was too. But liquid inks used were said to be lacquers and adhesives could be a sticky wax (default) or something more aggressive if you spec'd that.

My coworkers did our own informal "weather test" by applying rubdowns to a Honda Civic the owner promised to never wash. We were surprised with how well and long they held up to wind, rain and direct sunshine but NOT to abrasion.
What you refer to as "rub-downs" are really nice, because they apply without the typical carrier film used in decals. And yes, they're pretty robust, and even have a bit of a raised surface, so the "Phil" logos on the example hubs felt similar to Braille letters. Never had them long enough to know if they'd hold up against UV or repeated wet-weather riding, but I'm pretty sure the use of anything abrasive would wipe them out double-quick.

Btw, my photo represents the newly-applied "Phil" logo on the rear hub in the foreground, and the front hub beyond just prior to addling its replacement logo.

My intention was to show how boring the hub shells appear when logo-less - and how cool they look with a bright, shiny, and new logo

DD
Old 03-21-23, 02:48 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Man what a day! Everyone a gem!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-21-23, 03:19 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
At least a week's worth of projects there.
Old 03-21-23, 03:51 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Ahh...'full Campy'.

Nice score, and super fun projects to keep you busy. I hope they are your size!
Old 03-22-23, 12:00 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Great score on the Mooney as by Peter's own admission, there are fewer than a thousand of those in the world. I've had the privilege of riding four of his bikes: #688 and #716 which met unfortunate ends. I currently have and still very much enjoy #729 and #763 which live in my BF photo albums. The example here seems to be very early in Peter's career. Would you mind telling the serial number? I know that on his bikes, at least from 1999 when I first retained him as a builder, it was stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket downtube insertion.

I last spoke with Peter on the phone this past September, and the first thing he said to me was "if you're looking for a new frame, I'm not your guy." I don't know when he's leaving Belmont Wheelworks, but I suspect, from what he told me, he shares Richard Sachs' disillusion with the direction of the bike industry. It must be quite crushing to spend a life perfecting the craft of building heirloom bike frames only to have an industry that rejects the concept altogether. I hope he understands the respect that the few who have and admire his frames have for his dedication to the craft.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 03-22-23, 12:53 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Originally Posted by gazman22
Does your Mooney have a serial number? I have not located one yet but it could be hiding under dust and crud.
If he stamped them like mine, the SN is on the underside of the bottom bracket downtube insertion.

Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 03-22-23, 06:56 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
The Puch Royal X was, to my knowledge, a 1976-only model sold in the U.S. Mine was purchased new for me by my father c. April 1978 from George Crook at Bikeways of Atlanta, who noted there was apparently quantity in a warehouse that remained unsold. It is the same frame as the better known Royal Force, which sold for a few more years. The frameset is full Reynolds 531 DB throughout, and Puch advertised their precise mitering of tubes and that these were silver-brazed in Graz, Austria - and that they were brazed by the same people who built up the Austro-Daimler bikes, which were pricier and nicer.

The Royal X was kind of an oddball. The Royal Force came spec'ed with full black anodized Dura-Ace components and tubulars and was a nice racing bike, roughly comparable to the original matte black and gold Austro-Daimler Vent Noir. The Royal X came with an oddball parts spec - Dura-Ace 42/52 crankset and BB and headset, SunTour Cyclone (short 24T cage) rear and front derailleurs with power ratchet downtube shifters, Weinmann Carrera sidepulls (the nice deluxe version!), Normandy Luxe Competition high flange hubs laced to bog-standard Weinmann 27 x 1 1/4 rims with Vredestein gumwall tires, SR World Champion bars, stem and SR LaPrade seatpost. Pedals were some KKT or MKS thing, and the stock saddle was a Gillux something or another plastic saddle. The relatively heavy clincher wheels and the stock 14-22 5-speed Regina Oro freewheel made no sense - mine was changed out to a 14-24 before I left the shop, and late that year I swapped out the wheelset for Weyless sealed bearing hubs laced to Mavic Montlhery tubular rims. It made more sense then.

They came in two colors, the salmon of the OP's bike, and the white like mine -

The only literature I have ever seen featuring the Royal X was a small poster - it was meant to be folded out, and the rear of the poster had panels featuring the different Puch models and their specifications. The only copy of that I have ever seen was the one I got when I got the bike, and that copy is long lost, so keep your eyes out for one! The 1977 catalog, when the only full 531 Puch was the Royal Force, is out there online if you search.

The previous owner's modifications are all similar to what I did with mine when I was riding it most - I replaced the narrow-range freewheel with the then-new SunTour Ultra 6 Winner 13-28. I switched to a Shimano Crane for the same reasons this bike's owner did, it was comparable to the Cyclone but could handle more teeth. The Phil hubs and racks point to the other direction these bikes can easily be adapted towards. Geometry wise, they're not too far away from a Raleigh Competition Mk. II or a Gran Sport, but with arguably nicer construction and fewer braze-ons. A little more trail, like 52 mm vs. the 41 or so of the Raleighs - and oddly enough, all of the ones I have seen had 57cm-ish top tubes, kinda like Raleighs.

The Weinmann Carreras like these are my favorite single-pivot sidepull. They were Weinmann's last shot at competing with Campagnolo, and when cleaned up they are very smooth and work nicely. I have a set of the slightly later, slightly cheaper looking version on my favorite Gitane fixed-gear, and they work as well but aren't quite as pretty.

There really aren't very many of these out there. I foolishly sold mine to a friend of mine in Macon, GA, in 1987, because I just HAD to have that Fender Vibroluxe amp - then realized I missed it, went to buy it back, and learned it had been stolen. When I got back into bikes in '97, I started searching, but I could never find a white 23-in example for sale, only the 21-in like the OP's. By pure freakish chance, one day on a trawl of FB marketplace, I typed "Puch" into the search engine, and this bike popped up in Stone Mountain, GA. A few messages and a phone call to an area bike shop and I got it for $100 plus boxing and shipping. It wasn't until I was hauling it out of the box that I took a long look at the scars on the headbadge and freaked out - it was MY long-lost Royal X.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 03-22-23, 05:36 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
If he stamped them like mine, the SN is on the underside of the bottom bracket downtube insertion.

Thanks!

Given the 40+ bikes in my garage I painfully left all but the Nishiki (which I will rebuild and sell) in my mothers garage (5 hours away) for future retrieval. But now that I have this info I will have my sister take a look. I did inspect the BB but really only its underside and it was very dusty and grimy down there. I will report back. Nice to be a part of a club of 1k ± and I am also curious to roughly date the bike. It is a very simple but beautifully executed frame. A keeper for me. I look forward to riding it and finding out more.

Last edited by gazman22; 03-22-23 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-22-23, 05:43 PM
gazman22

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
There really aren't very many of these out there. I foolishly sold mine to a friend of mine in Macon, GA, in 1987, because I just HAD to have that Fender Vibroluxe amp - then realized I missed it, went to buy it back, and learned it had been stolen. When I got back into bikes in '97, I started searching, but I could never find a white 23-in example for sale, only the 21-in like the OP's. By pure freakish chance, one day on a trawl of FB marketplace, I typed "Puch" into the search engine, and this bike popped up in Stone Mountain, GA. A few messages and a phone call to an area bike shop and I got it for $100 plus boxing and shipping. It wasn't until I was hauling it out of the box that I took a long look at the scars on the headbadge and freaked out - it was MY long-lost Royal X.
Great write up and awesome story about ending up with your original bike! I will have to do some soul searching at some point to decide which of these stay and which go. Fortunately those decisions are down the road. I look forward to rebuilding all of them, getting them in riding shape, and knees willing, enjoying them all for a while.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-30-23, 04:18 PM
gazman22

Great score on the Mooney as by Peter's own admission, there are fewer than a thousand of those in the world. I've had the privilege of riding four of his bikes: #688 and #716 which met unfortunate ends. I currently have and still very much enjoy #729 and #763 which live in my BF photo albums. The example here seems to be very early in Peter's career. Would you mind telling the serial number? I know that on his bikes, at least from 1999 when I first retained him as a builder, it was stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket downtube insertion.

I last spoke with Peter on the phone this past September, and the first thing he said to me was "if you're looking for a new frame, I'm not your guy." I don't know when he's leaving Belmont Wheelworks, but I suspect, from what he told me, he shares Richard Sachs' disillusion with the direction of the bike industry. It must be quite crushing to spend a life perfecting the craft of building heirloom bike frames only to have an industry that rejects the concept altogether. I hope he understands the respect that the few who have and admire his frames have for his dedication to the craft.
It took me a while to get back to the bike. I was back in Oregon this past weekend and now have the bike home. I did speak with Peter once and he said the serial # would be where yours is located but perhaps it is to filled with paint on my bike. He also said it would be on the steerer tube which turned out to be a much easier find. So, with out further ado, this bike is #146. I look forward too riding this one!

And to keep the streak of purchased bikes while visiting my mother alive, I came home with a nice XO-2...

Old 05-31-23, 12:30 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
And to keep the streak of purchased bikes while visiting my mother alive, I came home with a nice XO-2...

Alright, alright, I'll give mine a call...

Wonderful bikes, what a great set to find.
Old 05-31-23, 06:57 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts
Definitely what I thought but absolutely no branding on them. Are there Phil hubs with no branding?
I had a set of similar Phil hubs that I purchased in 1972 for my first set of wheels I built. Eventually the red 'Phil' logo kinda disappeared after 3 or 4 decades as the center part increased in rust.
Old 05-31-23, 10:18 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Do you have a side-on pic of the Woodrup, full bike?

Edit: Sorry finally found it - it's my size!

Last edited by Road Fan; 05-31-23 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-31-23, 11:03 AM
MooneyBloke

So, with out further ado, this bike is #146. I look forward too riding this one!
Were you able to call back and find out anything about #146? That sounds either late seventies or early eighties to me.
Old 05-31-23, 11:06 AM
gazman22

Were you able to call back and find out anything about #146? That sounds either late seventies or early eighties to me.
Peter is only in on Sundays. I plan on reaching out this Sunday. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 06-24-23, 10:29 PM
gazman22

The bike was built in 1980. 531 throughout. Tubulars, so have to figure if I keep those on active duty.