Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no s

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no s

Old 08-16-22, 02:34 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
However, it seems to make just as much in not more sense for a car equivalent to alert drivers when there are cyclists and pedestrians ahead. Not only that, with gps technology, that device can and should alert drivers when they are exceeding the speed limit as well as approaching an object (like another car or cyclist) too quickly. We do not have the self-driving car yet but we certainly have the technology to alert drivers of dangerous situations.
Some people choose to cycle or walk because it's cheap and simple. Now, you want to make it more expensive and more complicated.

And, the "transponder" idea requires boiling the ocean to be successful: for this to work, most cyclists/pedestrians would need the transponders and most cars would need to receive the signal.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-16-22, 02:36 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
BTW as an aside... I like those blinkers that have a system that increases the blink rate as a motorist approaches... is that a Garmin Radar thing?
The Garmin radars do this.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-16-22, 03:39 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
...regardless of what one does to minimize the risk of being struck by a driver, the ultimate determination does lie with what the driver does.
Exactly. Every time a car passes us we roll the dice. Who knows what's going on with each driver, other than what I notice, and that ain't very promising.
Old 08-17-22, 04:51 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
Talk about a case-in-point, this reporter was talking about a hit-and-run and then one happens as they're filming

Old 08-17-22, 07:06 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Talk about a case-in-point, this reporter was talking about a hit-and-run and then one happens as they're filming
How nice of the runner to leave their front bumper with attached license plate behind.
Old 08-17-22, 09:02 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
How nice of the runner to leave their front bumper with attached license plate behind.
Of course, if the runner vehicle is stolen, that won't do much good. That crash was totally insane... have people just stopped caring at all when they drive now??? Certainly the other cars zooming by behind the reporter seem to be going at a rather high speed, for a street of that nature, with all those crosswalks on it.
Old 08-17-22, 06:11 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
What you are talking about is a transponder. And if you think about it, Drivers will become reliant on the "fact" that cyclists and pedestrians have these, and will stop thinking for themselves. So the first time you go out with a low battery in your transponder... you get hit.

Now on the other hand, every driver out there has a big windshield, and is required to at least see out of one eye... and by law is required to NOT HIT THE THINGS IN FRONT OF YOU. One might think that would be sufficient.

But, sure, let's complicate things by adding transponders to ordinary humans so the smart cars can do what the dumb drivers won't do.

BTW as an aside... I like those blinkers that have a system that increases the blink rate as a motorist approaches... is that a Garmin Radar thing?
In case you haven't noticed, a lot of drivers aren't paying attention anyways. If I'm wrong about that, we wouldn't be discussing how dangerous our streets are.

However, if the Varia can work without any requirement for cars, I'm sure the engineers at Garmin can do the same thing for cars without any requirement for cyclists or pedestrians. That's the premise behind self-driving vehicles.

But if the transponder is the current solution, what would be the big deal if they are supplied free of charge to all cyclists and pedestrians paid by, of course, auto manufacturers or licenced drivers. If you can carry your keys, wallet or purse with you everytime you leave your home, you can carry a transponder too.

New cars nowadays supply so many things as standard features anyways and if you also haven't noticed a lot of those features suit the bad driver, like parallel parking and blind spot detection.

Complicated? It's already here.
Old 08-17-22, 09:17 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
In case you haven't noticed, a lot of drivers aren't paying attention anyways. If I'm wrong about that, we wouldn't be discussing how dangerous our streets are.

However, if the Varia can work without any requirement for cars, I'm sure the engineers at Garmin can do the same thing for cars without any requirement for cyclists or pedestrians. That's the premise behind self-driving vehicles.

But if the transponder is the current solution, what would be the big deal if they are supplied free of charge to all cyclists and pedestrians paid by, of course, auto manufacturers or licenced drivers. If you can carry your keys, wallet or purse with you everytime you leave your home, you can carry a transponder too.

New cars nowadays supply so many things as standard features anyways and if you also haven't noticed a lot of those features suit the bad driver, like parallel parking and blind spot detection.

Complicated? It's already here.
Oh, it really IS already here... At least in concept. Everyone that carries a cell phone could be "seen" with just a bit of technical magic and either 5G or good WiFi. And there are proposals in the works for a thing called cellular V2X (C-V2X), using existing cell networks to send signals regarding car to car communication that could "see" humans too.
Old 08-18-22, 12:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I look forward to the pranks I can pull with a transponder and a small drone.
Old 08-18-22, 02:39 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Cagers are stupid when dealing with bikes. They even try to pass you coming to a traffic light on red which achieves absolutely nothing, expect only prove their stupidity.
I take that lane every time. No exceptions.

Glenn
Old 08-18-22, 03:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins

Glenn
It's funny. Despite my many years and miles, I still find myself subconsciously hugging the curb or fog line when I should know better, and that's always when I get woken up by a dangerously close pass. I occasionally get honked at when I'm taking the lane, but at least that means they see me and are avoiding me.
Old 08-18-22, 03:54 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's funny. Despite my many years and miles, I still find myself subconsciously hugging the curb or fog line when I should know better, and that's always when I get woken up by a dangerously close pass. I occasionally get honked at when I'm taking the lane, but at least that means they see me and are avoiding me.
I particularly take the lane when I'm in the pole position at red lights to avoid the right hook, or the "pull up beside you and wait to go straight idiot." In fact, when I'm at any intersection with a light, red or green, I'll take the lane. I relinquish it when I'm through the intersection.

Unnerving for a while at first, but I think it's actually safer. Better visibility and keeps the cars from doing something they shouldn't do in the first place.
Old 08-18-22, 09:07 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins

Glenn
Even if I'm taking lane, they still do it, although many are polite enough to move to the next lane and then move back to my lane in front of me, only to be stopped by the red light. I mean why? Completely pointless, I'll just filter through.

Ofc, I only filter through traffic, if vehicles behind me can easily pass me later on.
Old 08-20-22, 04:11 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
I rode my bike downtown today, to meet friends for dinner
Part of the ride required me to ride in city traffic alongside cars, since no shoulder.
At the red light, my instinct was to run off the road and hide, but I queued at the red light like any other car.
It was not that bad at all.

I chained my bike to a sign post behind a dumpster.
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-20-22, 04:16 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

https://tinyurl.com/mrx776hp

Last edited by CheGiantForLife; 08-20-22 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-20-22, 05:57 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I like chaining my bike to No Parking signs
Old 08-20-22, 08:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I like chaining my bike to No Parking signs
Defy authority!

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-22, 01:35 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Defy authority!
As you wish.

Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-21-22, 03:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by flangehead
As you wish.

Doesn't apply here, but I find it a dilemma when that sign is the only plausible place to lock my bike and it's immediately adjacent to where the handicapped driver would have to go if there was actually a car parked there.
Old 08-21-22, 09:16 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
I'll probably get banned if I post a photo of what I do around No Dumping signs.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 08-21-22, 02:32 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Rode different route today, and stayed in traffic instead of hiding on the sidewalks.
$8 mirrors also came in handy. Gaining more confidence to stay in traffic, especially at intersections.
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 08-22-22, 10:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
As of now, if there is no shoulder on either side, I simply do not ride on those roads without an obvious shoulder lane. I currently refuse to ride on roads without a shoulder on at least one side. (or at least grass or sidewalk, where I can walk the bike until shoulder is available on one side) Also, I feel its safer to salmon in a shoulder lane, than to ride with traffic in the actual traffic lane. Shoulder equals safety where you're not an obstacle impediment to cars.

It feels unsafe and borderline reckless to ride in actual traffic where there is no shoulder. For those who ride on roads with no shoulder, how do you deal with the fact that when you're riding with traffic, cars are constantly having to move half way out of the lane you're occupying? If there is not much traffic, this is not a big deal for the car, as there is another entire lane to use for passing the bike. But, during thicker traffic times, where cars are in both lanes, the bike is creating an obstacle on the road and potentially causing car accidents, particularly if there are cars in both lanes and one sideswipes another while having to avoid the bike by swerving into the left lane. Not only is this totally unnerving for the rider, but it creates a real danger for cars. This also applies to one lane roads, where the car must cross over double yellow lines to avoid the bike, thereby risking a fatal head on collision. This is an ethical line I simply can not cross.

Best practices for riding with traffic when there is no shoulder?
I am old, retired, and in no hurry. Therefore I almost NEVER ride a main heavy used road or arterial. I ride MUPS or suburban streets. Fortunately most of the hiways I ride out of town have good shoulders.
Old 08-22-22, 01:54 PM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Glad your getting out there into the traffic OP. Just to add to the stories, which have been very interesting, I live in Colorado where cycling is done by many, so I have not had too many issues in the last 17 years riding in traffic. But when I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I got hit from behind. AND I was on the shoulder!! The key as others have pointed out is visibility, and your ability to see what's happening behind you so great that you have the mirror. I also run a tail light that is super bright in the daytime.
Old 08-24-22, 09:53 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Just did another ride.

At one particular intersection, I still can't resist going salmon in the shoulder instead of waiting at the red light to take a left at the intersection (only to ride in no shoulder)
So, I bypass the intersection by cutting over left before the intersection, doing salmon for 100 feet, and the crossing over into the correct lane.

Also, when there is a shoulder, I can't help but ride in the shoulder instead of in traffic. On a one lane road, this just feels safer. Because it is.
Old 08-24-22, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Just did another ride.

At one particular intersection, I still can't resist going salmon in the shoulder instead of waiting at the red light to take a left at the intersection (only to ride in no shoulder)
So, I bypass the intersection by cutting over left before the intersection, doing salmon for 100 feet, and the crossing over into the correct lane.

Also, when there is a shoulder, I can't help but ride in the shoulder instead of in traffic. On a one lane road, this just feels safer. Because it is.

For me, the shoulder vs. lane thing is decided on a road-by-road basis.

I'm not going to second-guess you on this but besides avoiding salmoning, I also try to avoid "solutions" that require me to cross the same lanes repeatedly. I look at this as an issue of probabilities, and I figure I'm more statistically likely to get hit if I'm swerving between lanes repeatedly than if I hold a single position in a place visible to drivers. Just as a matter of math, the more lanes I'm crossing, the more cars I'm likely to encounter and, as a practical matter, being unpredictable by swerving around is more likely to cause a problem by confusing the drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.