Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to mount a chainguard on Tiagra 4700 Crankset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-22, 06:32 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have bought a commuter bike with a Tiagra 4700 Crankset. I’m looking to get a chainguard to keep my pants from getting stuck in the chain. Are there any types of chainguards that will fit this crankset? (Excuse the double thread posting, due to internet connection issues )

Last edited by karldub; 09-12-22 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 06:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
no, and that type of chain guard probably doesn't do what you think it will. I had one on my first road bike and ended up removing it
Old 09-11-22, 07:50 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
On ebay and such you can find all kinds of chairing guards with different types of fasteners. Some will clip onto the cutouts of the chainring, but I have never seen anything that will bolt on to the style chainrings you have. You would have to drill and tap holes into your chainring to make anything work which is maybe OK, but I wouldn't do it. Getting a new Shimano crank that already has a chainguard would be my recommendation or if you're just worried about getting pants dirty you can just use a strap on your pants leg or there are special clips made just for this purpose. Pair of Vintage Bicycle Metal Trousers Pant Cuff Clips Bands Bike | eBay
Old 09-11-22, 11:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Try to find the previous generation Tiagra crank (FC-4600). It has a more standard exposed 5-bolt chainring configuration but uses the same HTII bottom bracket.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-11-22, 05:53 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Raises the question, do you want the guard to keep from dropping the chain or keep the chain from dirtying your pants cuff?

BTW, here's a 5-bolt guard that will work if you don't mind downgrading to Sora 3000. https://www.benscycle.com/shimano-so...885ac32878b2c0
Old 09-12-22, 01:08 PM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Raises the question, do you want the guard to keep from dropping the chain or keep the chain from dirtying your pants cuff?

BTW, here's a 5-bolt guard that will work if you don't mind downgrading to Sora 3000. https://www.benscycle.com/shimano-so...885ac32878b2c0
I want to get the chainguard to keep my pants from getting stuck in the chain.

I’m now looking at the longer, uglier ”city bike” chainguards that are mounted on the frame/and or bottom bracket. Seems however the maximum chainring size for all of those is 48t - any ideas on modifications?
Old 09-12-22, 07:25 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by karldub
I want to get the chainguard to keep my pants from getting stuck in the chain.

Seriously, your chainguard options will all require modifying or downgrading your crankset, and your pants cuff will still rub the chain. Trouser clips are cheaper, less invasive, and more effective.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 09-12-22, 11:56 PM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat

Seriously, your chainguard options will all require modifying or downgrading your crankset, and your pants cuff will still rub the chain. Trouser clips are cheaper, less invasive, and more effective.
Hi,

Can you elaborate on why my pants would still rub the chain? I haven't had this issue on any of my previous "city bikes". I guess it's a matter of q-factor as well?

Cheers
Old 09-16-22, 01:57 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by karldub
Hi,

Can you elaborate on why my pants would still rub the chain? I haven't had this issue on any of my previous "city bikes". I guess it's a matter of q-factor as well?

Cheers
Yes. Your right ankle passes the bare chain behind the chainring twice in the 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock phase, approximately. Your pants hem probably wont get caught, but it will get greasy and worn. Trouser clips are a less expensive, less invasive, and more effective solution than downgrading from or degrading a nice hollowtech 2 crankset.
Likes For oldbobcat: