Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tektro RL-520 hood replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 03:56 AM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Hi all. I'm planning some maintenance coming up soon. I had been thinking I should replace my Tektro RL520 long pull brake levers (not brifters, brake only) on my Surly Disc Trucker.

As it turns out, the hoods are the only beat up part (like high use areas worn thin flimsy) and the levers themselves, while scratched up and well-worn, work fine. I'm trying to make good decisions and not spend where I don't need to and I noted that Tektro offers a hood replacement for the RL520. I can't visualize how the old ones come off and the new goes on. Does anyone have any familiarity with this? I've had my existing levers off to change handlebars and other maintenance, and it's not been apparent to me the hoods can be separated from the levers. Is this an easy task, or am I better off just replacing the whole unit?

Thank you!
Old 08-30-22, 06:12 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Most are very similar replacement process

Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-30-22, 07:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Gevenalle uses Tektro brake levers for their integrated brake/shifters and offers replacement Tektro hood/bodies assemblies as maintenance parts. Look here: https://www.gevenalle.com/product/replacement-brake-hoods/ These are nice since the hoods are already installed on new bodies and that makes replacement easy.

Their web site only lists replacements for the short pull levers (R200) but a call to them may get you some long pull bodies (RL520) as they do use them for some of their shifters.

Last edited by HillRider; 08-30-22 at 07:33 AM.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-30-22, 07:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Video of how to replace hoods although this is for a Shimano it's basically the same. In addition to using the alcohol as a lubricant you can throw the new hoods in some near boiling water for a couple minutes to make them more pliable for installation.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-30-22, 09:48 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
They are rubber. You pull them off like a sock and slip the new ones on. It will take some finger strength.
Likes For Yan: