Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stock Giant Wheels v. Mavic Aksium

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 05:53 AM
bgrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering swapping my Giant PR2 stock wheels for Mavic Aksiums or another entry level aftermarket wheel.

Can I expect better performance with the entry level offerings from aftermarket wheels over stock?

For what it is worth, I have no real complaints about my stock PR2's except durability. They stay true, feel plenty rigid, have taken some hard knocks and come through it all pretty well. I have had two PR2's develop cracks at the spoke holes. The first at about 5000 miles and the second at about 2500 miles. I really don't want to spend $1000 on wheels, but would like to put some wheels on that I don't have to replace annually. I'm 6'2" and between 210-220.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

BGRider
Old 10-17-15, 09:35 AM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I can only speak from research, and not experience. From what I gather if doing a wheel upgrade and sticking with alloy, the best ones to look at are November, Boyd, Psimet, and Fulcrum (and their campy equivalent). Based on your weight, Id probably go with one of the first three in the list so you can actually have a discussion with the builder and take their recommendations as to what you are actually looking for.

I found this to be a great read: CHOOSING THE BEST ALL-AROUND WHEELSET FOR THE ROAD CYCLIST | In The Know Cycling

Right now I am rolling with Fulcrum 2.5 which is an OEN version of what I think are Fulcrum 3's. I am not exactly light and they have remained true, stiff, and comfortable. From what I gather, going with something like Fulcrum 0's and you are starting to waste your money. And the problem with Mavics is that their parts are proprietary. Though I have to admit, I do like their style (damn french).

Again - these words are coming from my personal research and not experience. I believe the proper internet speak is "YMMV".
Old 10-17-15, 10:04 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aksiums are complete pigs. You are better of with Performance house brand.

The brides CX bike came with them. I bought her some nice hoops and ran her Aksiums on my commuter for a season which pretty much killed them. So they were good for that.

Mavic has some fine wheel choices. These are not one of them
Old 10-17-15, 10:55 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Askium are not an upgrade.

$200-250 gets Vuelta Corsa Lite which are good quality and about 300g less than your stock wheels
$500 gets 1400g Chinese carbon like what I have or some Fulcrums
$700-1000 you can get nice custom handbuild wheels

If you want to learn wheel building you can build nice light wheels for $400
Old 10-17-15, 12:15 PM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I am around 200 lbs and ride Boyd wheels. I have about 4000 miles on them and have had zero issues. Have not had to true them yet either. I did have a question about the skewers and got a response from Boyd himself. I highly endorse Boyd wheels.
Old 10-17-15, 01:32 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Aksiums are complete pigs. You are better of with Performance house brand.

The brides CX bike came with them. I bought her some nice hoops and ran her Aksiums on my commuter for a season which pretty much killed them. So they were good for that.

Mavic has some fine wheel choices. These are not one of them
Aksiums are one of the few wheels from them that make sense. For $150, you get a durable 1800 gram wheelset (2015 version). Their other wheelsets are a poor value until you hit CCU.

I'd like to see what you can show for that price that is comparable. Perhaps a Shimano RS21. But nothing better.
Old 10-17-15, 02:07 PM
Bugstomper2000

Bikes: 1989 Trek 1200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the best weight rim you can get for under $75? I broke a spoke this morning and I've been thinking of rebuilding my wheels anyways...
Old 10-17-15, 02:18 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Performance Forté Titan front and rear wheelset is $160 now. The published weight for the set is 1755g.

They seem to get some respect on BF at their price point.
Old 10-17-15, 03:34 PM
rms13

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
Aksiums are one of the few wheels from them that make sense. For $150, you get a durable 1800 gram wheelset (2015 version). Their other wheelsets are a poor value until you hit CCU.

I'd like to see what you can show for that price that is comparable. Perhaps a Shimano RS21. But nothing better.
But how are Askiums better than what he has currently? Seems like a lateral move and waste of money
Old 10-17-15, 09:57 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Stock wheels are fine. If OP has no plans to compete professionally, a more aero or lighter wheelset is a waste of money.

Bike manufacturers spec wheels in the right weight and strength for every day riding.

There's no great need to replace them.

Best upgrade OP can do is get better tires for a more supple and fast ride. Now there's where more bang for the buck can be found.
Old 10-17-15, 10:31 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Plus 1 on Vuelta Corsa lites. Put these on my road bike and dropped a pound.
Old 10-18-15, 07:18 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
@rms13, right, more of a lateral move. If I were him, on a budget, I'd use a cheap but good hub like a Novatec or Miche, Sapim Race spokes, Archetype/xc279/xr31T rims 28/28.
Old 10-19-15, 03:59 AM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have had my eye on the veulta corsa lites for a while. That price point bugs me a bit though - I bought some MTB wheels in that price range once and while they seem durable, the are simply not quite as stiff. Regardless - anyone know if the veulta's will hold up and not develop rim cracks within 5000 miles? Id like to get more than one season out of them.

Anyone familiar with Rolf PRima Echelons? The LBS who is going to check with Giant on my current failing wheel for any warranty coverage sells them. They assure me that despite the low spoke count they are durable and I wont have the same problems I have seen with the factory wheel.
Old 10-19-15, 04:04 AM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Stock wheels are fine. If OP has no plans to compete professionally, a more aero or lighter wheelset is a waste of money.

Bike manufacturers spec wheels in the right weight and strength for every day riding.

There's no great need to replace them.

Best upgrade OP can do is get better tires for a more supple and fast ride. Now there's where more bang for the buck can be found.

I would agree with you except for the fact that I have had two factory wheels crack so I am looking for something more durable.
Old 10-19-15, 07:11 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would discuss buying a custom handbuilt wheelset from a builder. Explain your weight, riding conditions, what's been going on with your other wheels, and your expectations. If durability is your main concern, I don't understand why people are suggesting looking at lighter wheels.

It's possible you got two factory lemons but if not, why not look to address the problem instead?
Old 10-19-15, 07:25 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if the big worry here is durability (admits to crack on the stockers) then the aksium is a decent choice. they can be had all over ebay, new, for $200 a set. they are durable as hell, I rode a set of them for 4.5 seasons without ever having to true them and I'd been riding them between 200-245lbs the whole time without a single trip to the shop for truing or a crack or a broken spoke. from a durability standpoint, to me, they look like a reasonable upgrade from the stockers that have had problems. they just don't have any 'bling' to 'em and no real cache' about them among the 41 faithful. claimed weight is 1795g, meh, going lighter there won't make any tangible difference to 90% of riders anyway, and likely a lighter wheel is, in most circumstances, going to be less durable until you get to the outer price points with high-end components.
Old 10-19-15, 01:59 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bgrider
I would agree with you except for the fact that I have had two factory wheels crack so I am looking for something more durable.
I understand. Get a strong, well-built wheelset for every day riding and you're set.
Old 10-21-15, 03:50 AM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate everyone's input. The correct solution is for me to upgrade to something more durable. Along with this comes the inevitable shelling out of some cash which I am hesitant to do. I almost pulled the trigger on some Rolf Prima wheels but just could not convince myself to accept the lower spoke count considering the problems I have hade. They are very attractive wheels and their marketing and the LBS do a good job of promoting them.

My upgrade has now been delayed because I happened across a deal I could not pass up. The local REI had Aksiums discounted to $105 for the rear and $90 for the front. Thinking this a pretty good deal but that the wheels probably would disappoint me, I left. I got home and in the wee hours of the morning I looked them up online and determined that the online price was even lower: $92 for the rear, $80 for the front. At that price I decide that they were almost in the "disposable" range and I pulled the trigger. REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so if I don't like them right out of the box then I am not stuck with them. I will be ordering a couple of spare spokes of all the correct sizes to keep handy though. Maybe I will be surprised and these will hold up for me.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-25-15, 05:49 AM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up the Aksiums on Friday evening, installed them Saturday and went for 35mi spin. I have to say that I am impressed with them. They are stiff, a tad lighter than the Giants, perfectly true, and rode quiet and smooth. I will even go so far as to say they were more comfortable than the stock wheels on road imperfections, but that's probably a figment of my imagination. The real test will be what I have to say about them 3-5000 miles later. But for the price (80frt, 92 rear) I could not pass them up.
Old 10-25-15, 06:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Picked up the Aksiums on Friday evening, installed them Saturday and went for 35mi spin. I have to say that I am impressed with them. They are stiff, a tad lighter than the Giants, perfectly true, and rode quiet and smooth. I will even go so far as to say they were more comfortable than the stock wheels on road imperfections, but that's probably a figment of my imagination. The real test will be what I have to say about them 3-5000 miles later. But for the price (80frt, 92 rear) I could not pass them up.
Good call. I think you will be impressed with the Aksiums over the long haul. They are seriously strong. New Orleans has the worst streets I have ever seen. My Aksiums have taken a beating and are still in perfect true with no issues at all.
Old 10-26-15, 05:40 AM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope so. They have a two year warranty anyway so if they have the cracking problem the Giants did then I presume Mavic will stand behind them. Put another 20 miles on them yesterday and still pleased.
Old 10-26-15, 05:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My only experience is with Mavic Ksyrium Elites and Aksiums. The Aksiums were inexpensive, not a particularly light wheel and really durable. They are excellent training wheels. The Ksyrium Elites are really nice wheels and fairly light. Again, they are very durable. FWIW my steel Guru weighs 16 lb 12 oz with them. This is based on 8 yrs. experience with the Aksiums on my Masi and the past 3 yrs. with the Ksyrium Elites on my Guru.
Old 10-26-15, 06:35 PM
bgrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
My only experience is with Mavic Ksyrium Elites and Aksiums. The Aksiums were inexpensive, not a particularly light wheel and really durable. They are excellent training wheels. The Ksyrium Elites are really nice wheels and fairly light. Again, they are very durable. FWIW my steel Guru weighs 16 lb 12 oz with them. This is based on 8 yrs. experience with the Aksiums on my Masi and the past 3 yrs. with the Ksyrium Elites on my Guru.
thanks for commenting! It's encouraging to hear that you have 8 years on Aksiums: is that 8 years on one wheel set or 8 years of using Aksiums and replacing them regularly? Also, not to ask a personal question - but what size of rider are you? I am at the upper limit of the published weight rating for Aksiums so I may not see the durability you did. I'd take a hard look at the Ksyrium line (along with some others) but I really don't want to spend $$ on wheels costing 1/3 to 1/2 as much as my bike did at this point. I'd be happy to get a couple of seasons out of something.
Old 10-27-15, 06:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
thanks for commenting! It's encouraging to hear that you have 8 years on Aksiums: is that 8 years on one wheel set or 8 years of using Aksiums and replacing them regularly? Also, not to ask a personal question - but what size of rider are you? I am at the upper limit of the published weight rating for Aksiums so I may not see the durability you did. I'd take a hard look at the Ksyrium line (along with some others) but I really don't want to spend $$ on wheels costing 1/3 to 1/2 as much as my bike did at this point. I'd be happy to get a couple of seasons out of something.
I have to revise my statement. I had forgotten that the first two years with my Masi I had Eastons. I replaced them because the Easton rear wheel pulled a spoke right off the rim. So, about 6 yrs. with the Aksiums. One wheel set. I'm not sure what the weight limit is for Aksiums but I weigh 185 lbs but the first 4 yrs. with the Aksiums I weighed around 192 lbs.