Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Old 09-05-17, 04:06 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Snagged 4th/60-something on stage 2 of gmsr (52mi road race with a group sprint finish) and 15th on GC which *should* have secured me the last of my points for cat 2.
Old 09-05-17, 04:13 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Mikey! You also looked really good in the crit. Sorry that one didn't work out better for you.
Old 09-05-17, 05:12 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks! congrats to JJ on taking the win. i felt good in the crit, probably could have done some things different tactically but it's all good.
Old 09-05-17, 09:48 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats Mikey, you had a pretty great year and managed to travel to some good stage races during it.
Old 09-05-17, 12:11 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm done racing for the season. Finished up with Red Kite omnium on Saturday and then district crit Sunday.

The race Saturday was dumb. 113f at reg. Only 6 guys showed up. We agreed to shorten the race to 45 minutes to maybe stave off death, race was down to 3 after 10 minutes. Usual 3rd place for me, behind Coble and Grundmann, also the usual winners anyway.

Sunday was a little better. Probably only 100f at 5pm and maybe 18 guys. I rode for my teammate (defending champ from last year) and got away early. I was OTF from 8 minutes at 27.5mph solo when I was caught by 3 guys. Grundmann, Coble and my teammate. The plan was working well with my teammate staying fresh and me murdering myself, attacking as often as I could. I did my best but started getting the heat shivers around 40 minutes. Nobody else would do anything (smart) so we slowed quite a bit and I knew we were ****ed. I kept putting digs in but they were weak and I was feeling pretty sick so I doubt they were hurting G or C. I put in a 30s leadout to the last corner to make them chase one last time, but they are better sprinters than my teammate and he took third.

I got nipped on the line by two dorks who'd been out of the race for the entire day as I rolled across. This is the one race where I care about 1st place vs. just a strong result, so no big deal. Placing and podiums at districts are only 3 deep, so the jokes on them.

Not only was it hot, the air quality out here has been 4/5, with 5 being the worst on the index used in the bay area. Smoke from regional fires to the north has blanketed the region. My throat is still ****ed from the efforts sucking in hot-ass campfire smelling air.

My season is over.
Old 09-05-17, 02:06 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^Low Key Hills?

My climbing has improved to a point that i can probably finish at the back of the pack and I might give a couple of them a whirl.
Old 09-05-17, 02:37 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
^Low Key Hills?

My climbing has improved to a point that i can probably finish at the back of the pack and I might give a couple of them a whirl.
let me know. we can ride them together. series looks like it will run a reduced schedule this year. I'm currently ~10lbs overweight to try and be at the front again.
Old 09-06-17, 10:07 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
let me know. we can ride them together. series looks like it will run a reduced schedule this year. I'm currently ~10lbs overweight to try and be at the front again.
Website seems dead. Any recollection when they typically kick off?
Old 09-07-17, 08:44 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Website seems dead. Any recollection when they typically kick off?
usually the last week in September. Dan has been very busy though this year. We will see if they happen at all. I think he's tired of doing the work required to put the series on.
Old 09-07-17, 11:59 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man GMSR was quite an experience this year. I had told myself I would be happy getting in the top 20 and I managed it at 18th overall. But I am left wanting more because I know I can get more from myself. I could have played a few moves smarter, taken a few more risks here or there and a few less risks here or there. I guess that is why I keep coming back to this race every year.

Day 1 (5.6 mile Merckx TT): So I was Tim A's 30 second man. For those of you who don't know Tim he has won the Mt. Washington Hillclimb overall in the past and consistently podiums it every year (Overall, not age group). So my objective was to just not let him pass me today. The TT is short and difficult to pace because it starts with a 1.5 mile climb, transitions to a rolling downhill, then really kicks up for the last 500 meters to the line. I accomplished my goal even though Tim was only about 1 bike length behind me at the end which ended up netting me 25th which was about 1:05 behind the winner.

Day 2 (107 Mile circuit, 2 laps): So, this was the day that I "had a plan" for. The course is actually the road course from Killington Stage Race but with one change that removes the KOM climb and doesn't go up the access road. But of course, we do two laps of this thing to make it a circuit race... The course is still relatively challenging with a new KOM point added at the top of a climb that starts at mile 2 and ends at mile 5. My plan was to try and get away after the KOM on the downhill since breaks were typically formed there during Killington. Sadly, everyone else had the same idea and I ended up missing out on one of the attacks that was let go near the end of the descent. All I can say is that I sat in where I could and attacked where I had an opportunity. I was surprised that I was marked enough that people were not even willing to let me roll alone off the front, each of my attacks were sucked back in. In the end, there was a winning move of 4 that got away on the flat section after a dirt climb on Lap 1 which finished about 1:20 ahead of the field by the end of the race. It is worthwhile noting that the last 3k of the race was a straight line of cars all the way to the finish, most of the field decided to play it safe and not sprint except for that ONE dude who decided to thread the needle in order to snag 5th place.

Day 3 (103-mile P2P road race): WORST. DAY. ON. A. BIKE. Or at least it was when we started, looking back on it makes it feel epic (Type IIb fun). Of course, it had to be about 50 degrees and pouring rain during neutral roll out. I was so cold that the second the 4-mile neutral roll out was over I immediately began attacking just to warm myself up. Needless to say, everyone also had the same idea which made the start of the race pretty active. The first real test came in the form of the new Roxbury Gap climb they added this year. I found myself needing to catch back up to the lead group over the climb due to bad positioning at the start but overall it was just a good opportunity to keep the legs pumping and get my body temperature back to a normal range. After catching back up to the lead during the descent we began to attack each other again, lo and behold THIS time I was able to get away with 4 other guys that worked well together, at least until the next climb. Me and another racer I know were leading the group up the climb and both agreed we didn't care about the KOM points, for whatever reason a guy from Mike's Bikes decides to launch an attack for those same KOM points that me and Connor followed with a heavy tempo. Sadly, the two other members of the break were not able to keep up and by the time we caught Mr. Mike's on the descent there were three of us. This was definitely NOT GOOD. Behind us were the major teams and major firepower, I knew we were doomed from there on and it didn't help that my two break mates missed a right-hand turn after the descent and I needed to wait for them to back track which easily cost us 30 seconds of our 1:30 advantage over the top of the climb. From there it wasn't too long of a wait until a chase group of about 8 came flying up and caught us right before another KOM point at which point me and Connor were promptly shelled from that group. The rest is sort of a blur, Connor had very little gas left after we unsuccessfully tried to chase back on and I ended up dragging us to the base of Baby Gap where we were caught by the remainder of the field which simply blew past us. Baby Gap and App Gap were just misery, I was barely able to do my endurance power over both App and Baby Gap. In the end, me and Connor finished about 30 seconds apart with me in the lead almost 14 minutes down on the winner (Tim A.) and in 22nd place. What is most notable about this was upon reaching the top the race promoter had set up emergency shelters and cargo vans with space heaters to keep cyclists warm and they provided transport for us and the bikes back down the mountain. I can't give Gary (RD) enough credit for having this set up for us, I really don't know if I would have survived the descent.

Day 4 (30 mile downtown Burlington VT Crit): Not much to say here aside from me successfully hanging on this year. It is a 6 corner crit that is always nuts. Tim A. had asked for my help defending the leader's jersey since he only had one other teammate, I told him I would try but that I would probably not be doing that well in the crit, sadly this proved to be the case and he ended up losing the jersey by the end of the race. I feel bad I couldn't help, it wasn't for lack of trying and ultimately he isn't my teammate so it was not really my job but I wish I could have actually done something to help him.

I swear every year I will never do this race again because it is so brutal and by the time I am driving home I can't wait till it rolls around. At least I accomplished my own personal goal of a top 20 by getting 18th in GC. For next year I hope to be 10 lbs lighter, 20 watts stronger and have at least two more teammates (I can dream, right?).
Old 09-07-17, 12:17 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
For next year I hope to be 10 lbs lighter, 20 watts stronger and have at least two more teammates (I can dream, right?).
Teammates that hard to come by?
Old 09-07-17, 04:57 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Hey man, we're trying.

GMSR Cat 2

Stage 1 TT: Had done little top end stuff the past month due to hip injury and had only really been able to pedal hard again for the 2 weeks leading into the race, so I was coming into it not knowing what I was capable of. I aimed for what I knew I could do before I got injured, and entirely blew myself up half way through the TT. Teammate got 2nd so I went into the next day assuming I'd be working for him.

Stage 2: Teammate got into an early break, which I kinda thought was suicide since it was 5 miles into a 106 mile race. I sat in for the first 30 miles trying to figure out wtf would happen. We hit a dirt section climb/descent and could see the break up ahead, I guess things kind of exploded over the top of the climb, I descended the dirt really nervously because it was a stretch of road I had cracked a wheel on in the spring, and had to chase back on. By the time I was back in the field there were a good group of guys up the road but a lot of the top 10 had missed their opportunity including 1st and 3rd on GC. So, I spent the next 60 miles chasing down ALL of the things, latching on to every move that went, generally being a psychological wet blanket while also not trying to be a physical obstruction. The break finished ~3:40 ahead of us, teammate got yellow, 2nd place on GC 1 second behind.

Stage 3: As dz_nuzz indicated, the weather was pretty bad. My cat 2 gc teammate requested I sit on the front until the first climb and keep any breakaways from forming, so I did, and a teammate of the 2nd place guy on GC joined me, and we took turns doing tempo for the first 25 miles, chased anything that got away back, etc. I was pretty fried from the previous day's work, so that + setting pace kinda cooked me. I got tailed off on the first climb pretty quickly. Maybe I could've chased back on over the top? But I wasn't convinced I would be able to, and there were still 70 miles to go in cold rain, so I decided I had done the job asked of me and didn't want to freeze to death, and pulled a u-turn and rode back to the start. It turns out my teammate crashed while descending around mile 70 and DNF'd, which is a bummer on multiple levels, especially because this would've given him enough points to upgrade and join dz_nuzz as a cat 1, and he has been working super hard for it.

I have to say it is really, really fun doing team duty. I am disappointed with my performance and also pretty annoyed with the season in general, but it is what it is. I had a brief moment in late June thru mid July where I felt like I was firing on all cylinders, but besides that it has been extremely frustrating.
Old 09-07-17, 07:10 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ehhh that was supposed to be read as: "I want all three things (I can dream, right?)"
Old 09-08-17, 03:47 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GMSR was so sick this year.

I got roasted in the TT despite good power. I was worried about IAB in the downhill portion of the course because of the wind. tempting to just say windy TTs aren't great for someone of my size, but I really need to buckle down and improve at this discipline. My power is there, just gotta work on other stuff.

In the "circuit race" (just a road race for the 3s) I struggled through the 2nd KOM climb, but made it over the top. Made it into a 10-ish man group over the last climb. We worked well together but got brought back...probably because the eventual winner was in the group and was super marked. Road the wave in the sprint to 4th. Was weird, spent the entire finish expecting the sprinters to blow by me.

Road race was EPIC. I think I handle bad weather well. Which is funny because I never train in bad weather. Once we got to Middlebury gap i was never really cold. Made the front group over Middlebury but it's the 3s so everything rolls back together. Started baby gap at the back because I'm an idiot. By the time i got to the front there was a massive split to ~20 guys. Chased all the way up and down baby gap and caught the tail end of the group at the bottom of app. Put my head down and smashed app, passing as many guys as possible. 16th, but there were like 5 dudes in sight at the finish, so I'm pretty bummed. Feel like I had a shot at a legit result if I had been more attentive.

Rode super agressive in the crit. In a few moves that got brought back. I had a teammate in the field who can sprint so I shut down moves at 8 to go and again at 3 to go. Teammate managed 6th and I rolled in with the group. Thankfully though, my RR and other people being back at the crit meant I moved up to 15th on GC (by 4s!) to snag that last GC upgrade point, lol.
Old 09-08-17, 07:25 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Auld Yins RR (8/27) finished 10th of 60ish.

Open 40+ Vets (Masters) race and then last one of the Scottish Vets series. Somehow I was in 2nd place for the 5 race series. Race mostly stayed together and then the selection was made over a 5 minute climb that's probably 40 miles into a 55 mile race.

The races I've done have been in the 40-50 mile range this year, so I was feeling good and made a group of 12 over the top. Problem is that after that I was in the badlands of over 2 hours of racing. It was a minor victory to cling on the group and salvage 10th. The winner jumped with probably 2 km to go. Gutsy move and he stuck it.

I managed to hang to 2nd in the series and got a cool engraved flask for my trouble. 3 more races to try and get my Cat 2.

Last edited by Yep; 09-08-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 11:17 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Grats on the upgrade Mikey.
Old 09-08-17, 12:22 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, but it's not approved yet so you never know.
Old 09-08-17, 12:26 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Man it's awesome to see you find your racing legs and kill it this year!

my race videos
Old 09-08-17, 12:27 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
One moment mid race, easy, nothing special, I find myself moving up to the front, round a corner and see half the pack up the road building a gap! Matt is also back here and he takes off. Then I take off after him.
I would use a sad-face emoji, or some kind of angry emoji, but I'm too old for that...

Don't chase your teammates down!!

my race videos
Old 09-08-17, 12:31 PM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on a great season! It seems some of the GMSR folk will be making it down to Doylestown on Sunday. It should be a fun one.
Old 09-08-17, 12:39 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would bet $10 that you can send a list of bogus results and get your cat-1 upgrade about two months into next season.

also, the short cranks I had are 8-bolt. I forget if that's what you needed or not, but I finally looked!
Old 09-08-17, 01:18 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fudgy doesn't know JD.
Old 09-08-17, 01:25 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I would use a sad-face emoji, or some kind of angry emoji, but I'm too old for that...

Don't chase your teammates down!!
Hahahahahahaha

Not sure if you're serious tho...

That's not chasing teammates down, that's half the f***ing race riding away and I wasn't planning on going home after 30 minutes. Maybe the stragglers caught back on, I never found out cuz I went to the front when you asked me to chase a break immediately after catching back on. Your welcome.
Old 09-08-17, 01:33 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Fudgy doesn't know JD.
Are all the upgrade coordinators on the west coast creampuff pushovers?

... NYC region has a new upgrade coordinator. I was chatting with her teammate, to whom she denied a cat 2 upgrade because 2 of his points were >36 months old.
Old 09-08-17, 01:41 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thought cat 1 upgrades went to Boulder?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.