Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying my first bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 02:37 PM
Gaurav1994

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buying my first bike

Hello,

I hope everyone here is in good health!

I am planning to buy a new hybrid cycle. This will be my first cycle ( except for the kid one that i had when i was little). I will be using it for commuting from my home to work( around 23 KM one way), Daily basic usage such as grocery shopping and for fitness. However due to the current situation the new 2020 stock are not available. I have shortlisted some of the bikes but can't make a decision as which one to get. Here are the bikes that I have selected.

Merida Crossway Urban 40 (2020)

Polygon Path 2 (2020)

Polygon Path 3 (2020)

FX 2 Disc (2020)

FX 3 (2019) on Sale

Also is there any downside to get a older model like 2019 Trek FX 3?

Kind regards,
Gaurav Krishna
Old 06-26-20, 03:07 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Collect 'em all!
Old 06-26-20, 08:34 PM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Gaurav and welcome,
To answer your last question of any downside to buying last seasons bike? No 99% of the time. Many manufactures change very little between seasons, colour of frame, slight change of components other times changes to geometry on other
occasions and even sometimes changing the use of the bike all together. The two Trek FX3 bikes seam a similar spec so just go for the cheaper one.

The Merida bike seams to have front suspension, this is a heavy upgrade unless you need it. Most commuter bikes now run with wider rubber to alleviate the need for them. Also Kona do a Dew DL commuter with fenders in that price range, if you have a stockist near you. Try them before you buy them, get to feel what they are all like before you make your decision.
Old 06-26-20, 09:02 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It would be smart to find out the widest tire that will fit. The Trek comes with 32’s, but can you go to 38 if you want a softer ride? So much depends on the roads.

John
Old 06-26-20, 09:51 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
It would be smart to find out the widest tire that will fit. The Trek comes with 32’s, but can you go to 38 if you want a softer ride? So much depends on the roads.

John
Yeah but why buy a bike and then spend 25% of the purchase price on tires immediately.....,.
Old 06-26-20, 10:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Yeah but why buy a bike and then spend 25% of the purchase price on tires immediately.....,.
No one is saying buying tires immediately. But if I had a nickel for every thread where someone wants to put a wider tire on a bike but it won’t fit... And one day those tires will wear out.

I’m not riding that commute. For all I know he can run 25’s.

John
Old 06-26-20, 11:02 PM
Gaurav1994

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sledgefisher
Hi Gaurav and welcome,
To answer your last question of any downside to buying last seasons bike? No 99% of the time. Many manufactures change very little between seasons, colour of frame, slight change of components other times changes to geometry on other
occasions and even sometimes changing the use of the bike all together. The two Trek FX3 bikes seam a similar spec so just go for the cheaper one.

The Merida bike seams to have front suspension, this is a heavy upgrade unless you need it. Most commuter bikes now run with wider rubber to alleviate the need for them. Also Kona do a Dew DL commuter with fenders in that price range, if you have a stockist near you. Try them before you buy them, get to feel what they are all like before you make your decision.
The Trek FX 3 2019 is on sale and the price is similar to all the other bikes that I have mentioned. But those trek bike looks so damn beautiful in picture.
Merida Crossway Urban 40 that i have mentioned has rigid fork. I have read on this forum that fork is better than suspension for hybrid and on riding good roads. I was thinking going with Polygon Path 3 2020 as it has " Shimano Acera M3000 9-Speed rear derailleur " which I believe is a better than the ones used on others.

Is Polygon Path 3 better choice than Merida Crossway or would you suggest another one?
Old 06-27-20, 01:29 AM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Originally Posted by Gaurav1994
The Trek FX 3 2019 is on sale and the price is similar to all the other bikes that I have mentioned. But those trek bike looks so damn beautiful in picture.
Merida Crossway Urban 40 that i have mentioned has rigid fork. I have read on this forum that fork is better than suspension for hybrid and on riding good roads. I was thinking going with Polygon Path 3 2020 as it has " Shimano Acera M3000 9-Speed rear derailleur " which I believe is a better than the ones used on others.

Is Polygon Path 3 better choice than Merida Crossway or would you suggest another one?
Polygon Path 3 looks like a good bike, based on the online reviews that I have seen only. Merida is a good manufacturer and a lot of Merida bikes are sold as hire bikes here in New Zealand. However If it were me I would probably go for the 2019 Trek FX 3 2019 because I like a bargain and previous season bikes don't hold me back at all. But only after test riding all of the bikes on my short list.
Old 06-27-20, 02:15 AM
Gaurav1994

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Polygon Path 3 looks like a good bike, based on the online reviews that I have seen only. Merida is a good manufacturer and a lot of Merida bikes are sold as hire bikes here in New Zealand. However If it were me I would probably go for the 2019 Trek FX 3 2019 because I like a bargain and previous season bikes don't hold me back at all. But only after test riding all of the bikes on my short list.
I will check with the local dealer if they have a L size FX 3 2019 ( I'm between 5'11" and 6') if they happen to have one then I will get it otherwise I will give Merida urban 40 1st preference and Polygon 3 2nd ( Depending on the availability of the size). Giants are expensive.

That Kona Deluxe 2020 looks beautiful Congrats
Likes For Gaurav1994:
Old 06-27-20, 06:23 AM
Gaurav1994

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi sorry to bother you. What are your thoughts on Kona Dew plus? I found a distributor within driving distance that is officially listed on Kona website.
Old 06-27-20, 07:21 AM
sledgefisher

Originally Posted by Gaurav1994
Hi sorry to bother you. What are your thoughts on Kona Dew plus? I found a distributor within driving distance that is officially listed on Kona website.
That is a good bike, the groupset is getting a little old now but will be great for commuting. Just be aware that, that bike has 650B tyres. I don't know how easy it will be to get a wide range of tyres in your location. The bikes that you were looking at earlier were 29" (700C) which are readily available in most locations in a number of price ranges with a variety of widths and tread patterns and also compounds, the 650B although a great tyre are a little more limited in some parts of the world. Also 650B on a Large frame won't be to everyone's taste so may effect your resale value if looking to move on later Just a thought.