Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No logos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 11:49 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
The reason I don't have stickers is not because of theft. I just prefer the look of it. I am very aware what it cost me, and I don't leave the bike at, say, stations, or whatever. I do lock it to something whenever I have to go inside somewhere, and it is even locked in our basement. Theft of cargo bikes is not really rare around here. Even cheap ones.
Old 10-29-20, 11:52 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Haha, thanks. I will try to take some photos for you, but right now it's raining buckets. Drive-side photo, I will remember that. Any detail you want a closer look at?
I am game to see it all, I love titanium and am slowly amassing a collection of Ti bikes 2 MTBs and 1 road. It is pouring here as well so I can understand. Hopefully the rain will stop and pictures can ensue.
Old 10-29-20, 11:55 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am game to see it all, I love titanium and am slowly amassing a collection of Ti bikes 2 MTBs and 1 road. It is pouring here as well so I can understand. Hopefully the rain will stop and pictures can ensue.
Okay, I will see what I can do (dark now), but I should be able to take some tomorrow - hopefully not raining and in daylight.
Old 10-29-20, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Okay, I will see what I can do (dark now), but I should be able to take some tomorrow - hopefully not raining and in daylight.
Daylight is always nice...no rush though as I am out of town and probably won't be on bike forums for a bit.
Old 10-29-20, 12:02 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Daylight is always nice...no rush though as I am out of town and probably won't be on bike forums for a bit.
Super!
Old 10-29-20, 12:03 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I doubt that there are people that specialize in high end bikes. Do they hang around local coffee shops waiting for the owner to leave it outside when they go inside?
This kind of stuff isn't common, but it does happen. I have a friend who had a $10k+ bike stolen from a race. It was leaned up against a railing and he was standing about 10 feet away talking with other racers, when someone walked/rode off with it. The thief could've taken dozens of other bikes, but specifically targeted that one.

It showed up at a local shop a few months later. The guy was arrested as he was trying to ship the bike to a buyer in California.

There was also a rash of LBS break ins in my area a few years back and the thieves were specifically targeting high end road bikes. They hit at least a dozen different shops and would only steal 4-5 select bikes at a time.

Not every bike thief is a junkie looking to turn and burn something for a few bucks.
Old 10-29-20, 05:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I don't think they are effective at all. At least where I live. Most thieves here just look at the groupset which makes a lot of sense. You definitely can't hide a nice bike by hiding the logos, at least to expert bike thieves.
etch in the words "BSO Wal-Mart" on the group set parts after the original advertising descriptors are removed. May even find someone tossing some spare change at the bicycle, out of sympathy...
Old 10-29-20, 07:55 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
OUCH
I don't care that that bike is plastered with Cannondale logos, I absolutely love the primer gray / neon orange color combo
Old 10-29-20, 08:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I don't care that that bike is plastered with Cannondale logos, I absolutely love the primer gray / neon orange color combo
Makes me visible in the winter in the woods when the trees/shrubs are bare.
Old 11-01-20, 07:26 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
No. I just ride.

Can't imagine caring enough to spend time defacing a logo. I try to keep my bikes as near to new and original as I can, excluding upgrades. If the upgrades come with logos, oh well.

On the other side, when restoring bikes, people like me actually pay for new decals and stickers to restore the bikes originality.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 11-02-20, 12:08 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
For a number of years bike frames had huge bright logos, with little logos on the chainstays, seatstays and anywhere else that they could be put. Each individual component also had it's own logo. A bike was a moving advert, and often still is.
Things have changed somewhat... logos now are more muted, and there are fewer of them. I, however, have for years had the habit of removing as many of the logos from my bike as I could (and lots of other things) as I can't see the point of being 'advertised to' once I've bought the product, and often the logos are quite ugly.
Does anyone else remove logos?
I have one logo on my bike and that’s more than enough. I like the clean look.

Old 11-02-20, 10:41 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
For a number of years bike frames had huge bright logos, with little logos on the chainstays, seatstays and anywhere else that they could be put. Each individual component also had it's own logo. A bike was a moving advert, and often still is.
Things have changed somewhat... logos now are more muted, and there are fewer of them. I, however, have for years had the habit of removing as many of the logos from my bike as I could (and lots of other things) as I can't see the point of being 'advertised to' once I've bought the product, and often the logos are quite ugly.
Does anyone else remove logos?
Have zero issue removing all the logos you want. If it makes you happy, that’s what really counts.

From the perspective of being a rolling ‘advert’, I can guarantee you the 99.99% of the general public could care less what kind of bike you ride. All they see is guy on bike, that’s if they are paying attention. So if you feel more secure, or happy being stealth, good on you, but don’t infer that anyone other than those into bikes really could care.

Old 11-02-20, 12:17 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Road & Track once tested a Maserati bicycle. They were further bemused by finding "Campagnolo" written on it in 27 places. Personally, I use a Campy cable guide, to make sure my bike is fast.
One day, a group of Americans were touring the Netherlands, wearing their usual logo-printed club-ride Spandex. An amazed local woman called out "Where are you people from - the Moon?"
My 3-cylinder car was marketed under five different names. I'm thinking of collecting them all, and then snapping the 1 off a 16-Valve emblem too.
Old 11-02-20, 12:30 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
bike messengers in NYC were known for making their bikes look as plain as possible to minimize theft. frames sanded down to bare metal tape or innertubes wrapped around the downtube. Never made sense for regular riders as the groupset is the giveaway, messengers tended to be fixie or singlespeed when I lived there.
Old 11-02-20, 12:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
bike messengers in NYC were known for making their bikes look as plain as possible to minimize theft. frames sanded down to bare metal tape or innertubes wrapped around the downtube. Never made sense for regular riders as the groupset is the giveaway, messengers tended to be fixie or singlespeed when I lived there.
This is the very reason my Rohloff hub is not red but black instead. I prefer the red version, but I figure that I don't want to attract too much attention to the hub.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-02-20, 01:23 PM
Jseivert

Bikes: Trek Crossrip Elite, Trek Silque SL (Wife)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Logos stay

I don't remove them but prefer a cleaner look. I think it's dumb for Trek to have their name in 6 visible locations on each side.

I do remove the dealership logo from my cars. I consider that free advertising.

Jeff
Old 11-02-20, 02:18 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Love to pull the stickers off cheap semi-aero chinese rims. They look MUCH better. Old classic bikes however need them left alone. Even a badly nicked up 531 decal looks great to me. I flip an occasional vintage bike and offen buy decals for a finishing touch.
As for theft, no one will steal a Free Spirt even if left unlocked in my neighborhood.
Old 11-02-20, 05:48 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 328 Posts
On my '89 Cannondale, I thought the lower case name on the top tube was tasteful. But I like the new trend, I think it's about all things "stealth", just like "tactical" has been the buzzword for anything remotely possible to be used by military, from flashlights to sunglasses. Paint it black and suddenly it's "tactical". Many bike commuters have covered names and logos for a long time to try to reduce theft, and it definitely can't hurt, especially since even cheap bikes have aluminum frames these days, but pro thieves know what to look for in the components. But it's also common practice to cover the frame in tape to protect from scratches from leaning against a bike rack. Someone I knew covered the top tube in leather, the seam joined by baseball stitching. Final note: I hated in the '90s that ski gear was not only huge logos (sometimes even on the ski bottoms through clear P-Tex) but hideous bright colors. I much preferred reserved neutral colors that were easy to get everything to match; black, grey, even a classic red goes with many other colors.
Old 11-02-20, 06:36 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Although I think "tactical" can be a thing/reason for some, to me it's just "please, enough with the garish stuff".

I wouldn't own a white bike (no logos) and titanium frame (no logos either) if it was for that "tactical" look. Although I do regret the white bike, it should have been red or orange.
Old 11-02-20, 06:50 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The other side of the coin: in the early '80s, long before tattoos became mandatory permanent fashion accessories, a friend of mine found herself sitting in a coffee shop near a bunch of heavily tattooed students from the nearby Maryland Institute of Art. She said that all the time she was sitting there, they never stopped complaining to each other about outrageous it was that people stared at them everywhere they went.

I wonder whether anyone posting here has a stealth bike plus visible tattoos. It wouldn't actually be logically inconsistent, mark you.
Old 11-02-20, 06:58 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

No tattoos here. And I'm not logo-less for "stealth" reasons either. I just think it looks cleaner: larger unbroken surfaces. I did consider at one point to get a sticker that said "Disabled Transport" Or "Handicap Transport", but decided against it because someone might think I was taking the p... pee and kick the bike or something (I'm an amputee, so it wouldn't be a lie).