Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1985 (?) Specialized Rockhopper Comp Custom

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 11-21-20, 06:30 PM
Afcyclestx
RiseUpRideHardGrindOn

Bikes: Throne Tracklord, Throne Phantom, IRO, Haro V1 SS Conversion, Vintage Specialized Rockhopper SS Conversion, Raleigh Carlton, Stolen BMX, Gravity Deadeye 29er, Vintage Ironhorse 26” FG Conversion, State Megalith, Pure Fix steel, Trek 7500,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Kinda went town on this and didn’t mean to, but we did it. Heavily modified SS Specialized Rockhopper. I’m not sure but I think it’s an ‘85. Original decals and seat/seatpost and grips. Everything else was added. I have it posted for $400 but only because it was labor intensive to a big chunk in price is the TLC that went into it. But realistically, what do you guys think?

The design of the original brakes was crazy. We couldn’t put it back together.
Old 11-22-20, 07:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,459 Posts
Where did you get the cranks and that funky stem done like that?

May I make a suggestion? If you rearrange the washers a bit and put that thick one on the other side of the brake arm it might make adjusting the brakes easier. That little bellows thingie shouldn't be so squeezed up.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-22-20, 09:53 AM
Afcyclestx
RiseUpRideHardGrindOn

Bikes: Throne Tracklord, Throne Phantom, IRO, Haro V1 SS Conversion, Vintage Specialized Rockhopper SS Conversion, Raleigh Carlton, Stolen BMX, Gravity Deadeye 29er, Vintage Ironhorse 26” FG Conversion, State Megalith, Pure Fix steel, Trek 7500,

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Where did you get the cranks and that funky stem done like that?

May I make a suggestion? If you rearrange the washers a bit and put that thick one on the other side of the brake arm it might make adjusting the brakes easier. That little bellows thingie shouldn't be so squeezed up.
Thanks for the input. The original brakes that came on it were trash unfortunately. We had to take brakes off of another bike that was just sitting around. The cranks and stem we painted and did a sea foam splatter. Also, the stem cap didn’t match the bars so we sanded it out and reshaped it. Honestly, my partner painted the bars, stem and cranks while I was at work. I might not have went that route but he had the bike almost put together by the time I got out of work. We were trying to get it ready for an event we were taking part of. You should have seen it before. It was kept outside and was in bad condition. All the parts we made them fit. Drilling larger holes, reshaping parts... everything we had laying around. The only thing I bought was paint and the bike was 100 bucks. I didn’t buy the bike planning to restore. I bought it because it had a super cool wheelset. This project just happened. Me and my buddy almost killed each other during the process. He is real high strung and has a temper. I swore after the event that I would never talk to him again. That didn’t last. Lol
Likes For Afcyclestx:
Old 11-22-20, 12:40 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Nice bike, great model, however, the effort put forth will not garner that return. I think as a clean stock machine is of more value and would be in the range of $250-300 on a good day in my local listings.
Old 11-22-20, 12:54 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I agree with the 250-300 dollar assessment on the clean stock bike. But that might’ve been pre-pandemic. The prices here are all over the place nowadays. No clue what the market in San Antonio is like, tho.

Last edited by Rage; 11-22-20 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-22-20, 01:17 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

I think that might be an ‘88/89?
It looks just like my weird dusty blue 1989 Rockhopper but cooler.
I really like the yellow.
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-22-20, 01:18 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
I'd agree. The stock bike locally here would go $250. As this one sits, in the condition it's in, setup as it is..I wouldn't go $150..no idea if anyone else would. TX is a long way from here..hard telling..
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-22-20, 01:25 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

I actually paid a hundred bucks for mine too. But it was stock. Not that clean, tho. Found it in a Vegas pawn shop and talked the guy down from 150 because it was covered in red sand. Used it the two weeks I was there and then shipped it home for fifty bucks.
Want to repaint it yellow now...
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-22-20, 01:31 PM
Afcyclestx
RiseUpRideHardGrindOn

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks everyone

I agree with the 250-300. I have it posted on Offerup here for 300 obo. I saw another post here with same bike. It’s an 88 or 89.

I appreciate all the feedback. Happy to be a part of this community. Y’all have a great day!
Old 11-22-20, 06:20 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Originally Posted by Afcyclestx
I agree with the 250-300. I have it posted on Offerup here for 300 obo. I saw another post here with same bike. It’s an 88 or 89.

I appreciate all the feedback. Happy to be a part of this community. Y’all have a great day!
Somebody once told me how to figure out the year from the serial number. Wish I could remember how.
Anybody?
Old 11-22-20, 09:17 PM
krakhaus 

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
It's a 1989.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 12-11-20, 09:20 AM
Afcyclestx
RiseUpRideHardGrindOn

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Gone

Sold her on Mercari for 200 bones.