Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin lactate threshold

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin lactate threshold

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 08:29 AM
Grouperdawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Garmin lactate threshold

Does anyone know how accurate this is or if it is helpful? It has my calculated mine at 171 so I’m wondering if I am doing a long ride or climb I could try to keep my heart rate around 155 ish and know I could sustain that for a while. It also has an ftp calculation too
Old 03-05-21, 08:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Why not just try it? I mean, if you have a power meter, I'd definitely pace off of that rather than HR - there's both lag and drift to contend with if you're going off of HR.

FWIW, their FTP estimate for me seemed to be in the right ballpark. Haven't even looked at the LTHR estimate, to be honest.
Old 03-05-21, 08:51 AM
Grouperdawg

Ok good to know, I do have a power meter on new bike I love it. I just didn’t know anything about LT and was reading about it and seemed that would be good info to know if it’s accurate or something else to look at

With power meter, do you dial into 80% or so of ftp?
Old 03-05-21, 09:14 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
It really depends on the desired intensity and expected duration of not only the climb but of the rest of your ride, as well. Your FTP is your hour-ish power, so go from there.

My "climbs" are pretty short, so I usually ride them above FTP, unless I have a long day ahead of me. In flat/rolling terrain, I'll often aim for 90% or so for fast-paced rides of up to 3-4 hours. For endurance rides, I'll start out more conservatively.

Just feel it out - it won't take long.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-05-21, 09:23 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Ok good to know, I do have a power meter on new bike I love it. I just didn’t know anything about LT and was reading about it and seemed that would be good info to know if it’s accurate or something else to look at

I always try to ride lomg climbs at FTP. Doesn’t always happen depending on what precedes the climb but that’s my goal on anything over 30min.

Last edited by gregf83; 03-06-21 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 03-05-21, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Even when they are accurate, your actual ability for any given day might not be what your LTHR or any other number might suggest.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-05-21, 02:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Mine have always been within 1 bpm for running LTHR. I never tried to figure out what the number is for cycling because power works better for me.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-06-21, 07:08 AM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It really depends on the desired intensity and expected duration of not only the climb but of the rest of your ride, as well. Your FTP is your hour-ish power, so go from there.

My "climbs" are pretty short, so I usually ride them above FTP, unless I have a long day ahead of me. In flat/rolling terrain, I'll often aim for 90% or so for fast-paced rides of up to 3-4 hours. For endurance rides, I'll start out more conservatively.

Just feel it out - it won't take long.
My normal rides are also short climbs so they are above ftp as well but a few times a year we do these six mountain climbs near by and I’ll have to sustain a constant grade of maybe 4% to 8% then down hill and then repeat it works out to little over a century the hardest thing for someone like me is pacing myself. I also have group rides where I’m up front all day or maybe solo endurance ride and would be nice to know a comfort zone if I don’t want to suffer too much that day for what ever reason. I have an idea with watts I guess I just need more time with it
Old 03-06-21, 07:18 AM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by gregf83
I always try to do lomg climbs are meant to be ridden at FTP. Doesn’t always happen depending on what precedes the climb but that’s my goal on anything over 30min.
That would wreck me 😆

I’ve only done a few ftp tests on the trainer and even doing the 20 minute test by the end I’m completely spent. Doing an ftp test is not something I look forward to. I’m 50 years old and I do a good bit of riding but my goals are probably less ambitious then most on this forum. I do have friends older then me that race and are competitive but I enjoy what I do as is and while I’d love to be stronger I’m also happy just maintaining where I am
Old 03-06-21, 07:39 AM
WhyFi

My normal rides are also short climbs so they are above ftp as well but a few times a year we do these six mountain climbs near by and I’ll have to sustain a constant grade of maybe 4% to 8% then down hill and then repeat it works out to little over a century the hardest thing for someone like me is pacing myself. I also have group rides where I’m up front all day or maybe solo endurance ride and would be nice to know a comfort zone if I don’t want to suffer too much that day for what ever reason. I have an idea with watts I guess I just need more time with it
Gotcha.

Yeah, feel it out. It might take a couple tries, but you'll figure out the pacing. On long rides (100+ miles), I like to start out very conservatively, often in the 65-70% region if I don't have a ton of endurance work under my belt for the season. That'll go up as the season and fitness progresses.

The other thing to keep in mind with long rides is that, even if you're looking at average power/intensity, you've only got so many matches to burn, so I try to moderate my high-torque efforts. IOW, even though I have a preference to stand and power over rollers, I'll be mindful that that kind of fatigue piles up on a long ride much more so than spinning, even at (more or less) the same power.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-06-21, 08:11 AM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Gotcha.

Yeah, feel it out. It might take a couple tries, but you'll figure out the pacing. On long rides (100+ miles), I like to start out very conservatively, often in the 65-70% region if I don't have a ton of endurance work under my belt for the season. That'll go up as the season and fitness progresses.

The other thing to keep in mind with long rides is that, even if you're looking at average power/intensity, you've only got so many matches to burn, so I try to moderate my high-torque efforts. IOW, even though I have a preference to stand and power over rollers, I'll be mindful that that kind of fatigue piles up on a long ride much more so than spinning, even at (more or less) the same power.
good stuff
Old 03-06-21, 08:36 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Keeping below FTP on long climbs is very challenging even with my 36 X 32. I’ll qualify that my long climbs can be steep.
Before power I used HR. Although a lagging indicator it was a good way to keep things in check on days when I wanted to take it easy. Avg HR was a valid tool. In the same way FTP is also the same way of getting there. What I am interested in is seeing how the two compare at 100 miles on a 125 mile 16,000’ ride. AVG HR. goes down over time but power is still power.
Old 03-06-21, 10:40 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by waters60
Keeping below FTP on long climbs is very challenging even with my 36 X 32. I’ll qualify that my long climbs can be steep.
Before power I used HR. Although a lagging indicator it was a good way to keep things in check on days when I wanted to take it easy. Avg HR was a valid tool. In the same way FTP is also the same way of getting there. What I am interested in is seeing how the two compare at 100 miles on a 125 mile 16,000’ ride. AVG HR. goes down over time but power is still power.
Yeah that’s a really good point, and I’m running a 28 in the back cassette there’s no way when it gets steep for me to be below ftp, it’s too low 😆
Old 03-07-21, 11:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Years ago, I liked using heart rate to pace up very long climbs. I just did it by experience, seeing what heart rate I could maintain. It was helpful keep from going too hard at the bottom of the climb.

Power meters work even better.
Check out your power curve on Garmin Connect --> Reports --> Cycling -->Power Curve.
Better: on Strava, see the Power Curve in the left sidebar on one of your rides. You can hover over the chart to see more detail, and change the date range for the "best effort" line. This is more useful than the Garmin display.
This examines all time periods from 1 second up to the length of your ride, and picks out the highest watts within the ride for every amount of time. So you can see your current and best efforts for short intense efforts, or for 10 minute climbs. I had an approximate wattage goal on a steep 5 to 6 minute climb, and it worked very well. I was able to go a bit harder near the top -- nice!

I like loading my rides into the free Golden Cheetah. It's kind of a big learning curve, but just using the basic charts and default stats isn't hard. It has a ton of configs that can be changed, if you are interested. There's some youtube videos that help.
It's CP Chart is the power curve. I can hover over the chart and see when the best efforts occurred. And see selected sections of the current ride on the chart, too.
It's interesting to click the created ride intervals of best 1 minute, 5 minute, etc power, and show the route map to see where those efforts happened.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-07-21 at 11:35 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-07-21, 05:12 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
I find (for me) sticking to HR is a much easier way of setting my pace for long rides. My aerobic magic number is 155. If I stay below that, I can ride 12+ hours

As soon as I let myself go anaerobic I start burning too hot and it limits my ability to sustain a full day's riding

I find that my energy requirements to produce power on different terrains / temperatures / wind conditions varies greatly and isn't really a reliable method
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 03-07-21, 08:30 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Years ago, I liked using heart rate to pace up very long climbs. I just did it by experience, seeing what heart rate I could maintain. It was helpful keep from going too hard at the bottom of the climb.

Power meters work even better.
Check out your power curve on Garmin Connect --> Reports --> Cycling -->Power Curve.
Better: on Strava, see the Power Curve in the left sidebar on one of your rides. You can hover over the chart to see more detail, and change the date range for the "best effort" line. This is more useful than the Garmin display.
This examines all time periods from 1 second up to the length of your ride, and picks out the highest watts within the ride for every amount of time. So you can see your current and best efforts for short intense efforts, or for 10 minute climbs. I had an approximate wattage goal on a steep 5 to 6 minute climb, and it worked very well. I was able to go a bit harder near the top -- nice!

I like loading my rides into the free Golden Cheetah. It's kind of a big learning curve, but just using the basic charts and default stats isn't hard. It has a ton of configs that can be changed, if you are interested. There's some youtube videos that help.
It's CP Chart is the power curve. I can hover over the chart and see when the best efforts occurred. And see selected sections of the current ride on the chart, too.
It's interesting to click the created ride intervals of best 1 minute, 5 minute, etc power, and show the route map to see where those efforts happened.
Thats pretty cool on strava , I went in and looked at that very interesting
Old 03-07-21, 08:35 PM
Grouperdawg

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
I find (for me) sticking to HR is a much easier way of setting my pace for long rides. My aerobic magic number is 155. If I stay below that, I can ride 12+ hours

As soon as I let myself go anaerobic I start burning too hot and it limits my ability to sustain a full day's riding

I find that my energy requirements to produce power on different terrains / temperatures / wind conditions varies greatly and isn't really a reliable method
Any chance Garmin gave you a lactate number , assume that it would be higher but just curious. I would guess 155 is a number I could go all day as well ; 165 is a number I can stay for hrs but working. My max heart rate is 190 ish but I don’t go much over 185 anymore unless it’s hot and really working
Old 03-08-21, 05:00 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Any chance Garmin gave you a lactate number , assume that it would be higher but just curious. I would guess 155 is a number I could go all day as well ; 165 is a number I can stay for hrs but working. My max heart rate is 190 ish but I don’t go much over 185 anymore unless it’s hot and really working
oh i didn't realize it was a lactic acid threshold. yeah it would be higher. Anaerobic threshold (155 for me) just means I'm using carbs in addition to fat, for the ATP production cycle. Which means I'm burning hotter, and need to be taking in more carbs and watching bonk-levels more closely. Lactic acid is the result of anaerobic ATP production, but where your threshold lies is very individual. I know you can do lab-based lactic threshold testing but I don't think any estimating from Garmin will be really useful.

I have no idea where to find such a number in my garmin stuff anyways. Sorry!
Old 03-08-21, 10:54 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
oh i didn't realize it was a lactic acid threshold. yeah it would be higher. Anaerobic threshold (155 for me) just means I'm using carbs in addition to fat, for the ATP production cycle. Which means I'm burning hotter, and need to be taking in more carbs and watching bonk-levels more closely. Lactic acid is the result of anaerobic ATP production, but where your threshold lies is very individual. I know you can do lab-based lactic threshold testing but I don't think any estimating from Garmin will be really useful.

I have no idea where to find such a number in my garmin stuff anyways. Sorry!
Does this mean that heart rate threshold is the same as lactic acid threshold?
Old 03-08-21, 11:00 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
The body always metabolizes carbohydrates along with fats. Lactic acid does not exist in the body. Lactate is produced during the first steps of aerobic metabolism, not only during "anaerobic."
Old 03-08-21, 12:25 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The best indicator of performance is performance itself. Not calculations. If you truly need to know what you can do for an amount of time, do it. If you don't need to know that value, don't do it.

Most folks don't do training necessitating knowing their hour long power.

Also, WRT comparing to others, FTP is not a good gauge unless you're a triathlete or time triallist. Otherwise, you almost never race or ride purely at ftp. A better gauge for many people would likely be 5min or 8min power. From which you can probably choose a popular local segment with lots of strong boy and girl results and give it a try.

IMO. Therefore, ignore the Garmin and you do you and do what you need to hit the intervals or goals you have. Not the seemingly random measuring stick of "ftp".
Old 03-10-21, 12:19 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Originally Posted by asgelle
The body always metabolizes carbohydrates along with fats. Lactic acid does not exist in the body. Lactate is produced during the first steps of aerobic metabolism, not only during "anaerobic."
Mmmmmmm I beg to differ.

Lipolysis can only occur under aerobic conditions; and it can occur strictly without any carbs.
I've done many, many long rides fasted with no sugar or exogenous carbs. Purely fasted or with fat and salt supplementation

Glycolysis can occur under aerobic or anaerobic conditions.
Aerobically, you will have no lactate production. Anaerobically, the pyruvic acid gets converted to lactate due to the lack of oxygen present during the reaction.