Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Eros - tire size question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-17-21, 03:04 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts

Just in time for St. Patty's Day I found this beautiful green machine in my hunt for a bike small enough for the wife. We're not looking for a strictly road bike, but I saw mentioned elsewhere this is a decent bike for a little bit of everything. I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on being able to put bigger tires on this thing. We're not looking for mountain biking or anything, but something for some packed dirt/rail trial stuff. What would be the widest tire you think would fit on this? This bike ticks a lot of boxes for what we're looking for.

Also, I know what these were new and this looks to be in superb condition. Is this bike worth the $700 they're asking? Copied info from the ad below.

HIS CLASSIC EROS IN RARE FOREST GREEN IS LITERALLY IN BRAND NEW CONDITION ONE ORIGINAL FEMALE OWNER PURCHASED BRAND NEW AND UTILIZED IT LESS THAN 50 ORIGINAL MILES ! A BIKE OF THIS SIZE ,CONDITION, AND COLOR IS RARE ! IF YOU WANT QUALITY THAT WILL LAST THIS IS YOUR BIKE! WE AREN’T TALKING MASS PRODUCED ENTRY LEVEL GARBAGE OR WALMART RETAIL GRADE JUNK ! THIS IS A PRO GRADE BIKE WIYH SOME OF THE FINEST VINTAGE HIGH END QUALITY PARTS OF ITS TIME !THIS IS THAT BIKE IF KEPT IN THIIS CONDITION WILL ONLY INCREASE IN VALUE ! YOU WILL NOT LOSE A DIME IF YOU DECIDED TO SELL IT AT SOME POINT DOWN THE ROAD THATS FOR SURE. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH SPECIFICATIONS Year....1997 Make....Bianchi Model.....Eros Bicycle Type...Road/sport,Road,Road Racing, Triathlon, Marathon, Touring, Trekking Origin.... Hand made in Italy Gender....UNISEX MSRP USD (new) $1,129.00 Sizes....49 cm (XTRA SMALL ) Colors Forest green metallic w/Black and Silver Graphics under clearcoat ************************************* FRAMESET Frame Construction....Lugged Frame Material....Dedacciai Superset 2 chromoly, double-butted, fully lugged Fork.....Bianchi Fork Materal.... .Dedacciai Superset 2 chromoly,, unicrown crown Frame Size.... from the center of the crank bolt up to the seat tube opening is 49cm Standover height.....from the floor to the top of the top tube measures roughly 28 inches *************************************** COMPONENTS Component Group.....Campagnolo Mirage Brake calipers ....Campagnolo Mirage Brake/Shifter levers .....Campagnolo Mirage Ergo Front Derailleur....Campagnolo Mirage, bottom-pull/braze-on Rear Derailleur.....Campagnolo Mirage Crankset.....Campagnolo Mirage Chainrings.....32/42/52 teeth alloy (TRIPLE) Bottom Bracket......Campagnolo Mirage, 111 mm spindle BB Shell Width.....68mm English Rear Cogs....8-speed, Campagnalo 12 - 25 teeth Chain....SRAM PC 830 1/2 x 3/32" BRAND NEW UNUSED just installed ....MSRP $25.00 Seatpost....27.2 mm diameter BONTRAGER carbon fiber micro-adjust Saddle..... matching celeste green Swede Bianchi Pista Handlebars......SYSTEM COMPONENTS T6061 alloy drop Handlebar tape.....BRAND NEW UNUSED matching celeste green PROFILE DESIGN performance cork just installed.....MSRP $30.00 Handlebar Stem....ITM Headset 1" Miche Trofeo *********************************** WHEELSET (650C) Wheel Size.....650C Hubs Front and Rear....Campagnolo Avanti Rear Cassette...8 speed Campagnolo Avanti Rims.....650c AMBROSSIO ELITE Aero Design Handmade in Europe Spoke Brand....DT stainless steel, 2.0mm straight gauge Spoke Nipples.....Brass nipples Tires.....650c color matching celeste green /black Michelin Axial Pro
Old 03-17-21, 03:11 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
EDIT: I think I found my answer in another thread but I'll leave this here for y'all to look at this bike.
Old 03-17-21, 03:47 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts
I would think $450 tops and mainly because of the rare smaller size than anything. It does look to be in good shape. I've seen them pop up on CL for anywhere from $150-$700, but I don't know if anyone is buying at the higher range.
Old 03-17-21, 04:04 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Nice looking bike. I have a 90's Eros that I converted to a sort of gravel bike. I'd say you'd have trouble fitting anything larger than 28mm tires on it. I was able to fit 40mm tires on mine but that required going with 650b wheels plus making dimples in the chain stays. I love my Eros the way I have set it up; however I don't think that I would want to start modifying a beauty like the one pictured.
Likes For Moe Zhoost: