Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The best bar tape

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The best bar tape

Old 03-20-21, 04:16 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i use cinelli vole from amazon usual around 25 bucks , its just as tacky as anything that more expensive , but its really sticky on the glue side , i use mostly for my racers , its not cushioned at all , so if you need a tape that soft 3mm i have only really used again cinelli that i ordered by mistake , and ended up using some silicone self sticking tape on a few parts to give me more grip becuase it was so soft and smooth ,
Old 03-20-21, 07:08 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I really love Supacaz. I have used Lizardskins a few times and it is ok. I kinda feel like Lizardskins is a bit overhyped. That being said, I have that on my current bike as we speak lol, but I will be changing it to Supacaz when it wears out.
Old 03-20-21, 07:42 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
We can be forgiven if the bar wrapping skills are atrophying; tape today lasts many times longer than cotton bar tape did and you get do-overs because the stretchy nature is at least as responsible for it staying in place as the adhesive. Old tape was more unforgiving, both literally and figuratively. Lighter colors did complement bikes with Camp Nuovo Record groups nicely, back when chrome and aluminum ruled instead of black! Lighter colors also got dirty pretty quickly and tape replacement was often a more aesthetic choice than anything else.
Old 03-20-21, 03:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Arundel Gecko Grip and Zipp Service Course CX

I've recently tried two that are different from normal cork, more rubbery. I have a slight preference for the Arundel over the Zipp. It's not quite as thick so it wraps more smoothly. Also, the Zipp was a little shorter and I wasn't able to overlap the logo. They feel very similar on the bike, comfortable and secure with or w/o gloves.

Old 03-21-21, 06:50 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Never white bar tape.
Why not? I love white tape.
Old 03-21-21, 07:10 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I really love Supacaz. I have used Lizardskins a few times and it is ok. I kinda feel like Lizardskins is a bit overhyped. That being said, I have that on my current bike as we speak lol, but I will be changing it to Supacaz when it wears out.
I had Supacaz bling tape and as nice as it looked, it wasn’t the easiest to wrap. I was able to tear it the first time I used it. On the Helix, I opted for Ciclovation aurora bar tape and not only does it cost less than Supacaz, it feels better in the hands and looks just as good. I was able to pull/stretch the tape when needed and I was able to reuse the tape after switching out the Record 11 ergos for H11.

Ciclovation Auroa Purple

Supacaz Prizmatik Hologram

Supacaz Oil Slick
Old 03-23-21, 05:16 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 'padded' bar tapes. To me, all they do is make the wrapping process more difficult, and they really don't add enough padding to make the effort worthwhile.
I just use Newbaum's Cloth Bar Tape. Zero padding, but then again, that's why I wear padded gloves, isn't it?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-23-21, 05:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
The $2-$3 tape on Ebay works as well as anything - easy to wrap, cleans easily, enough cushion, lots of colors
I've bought that stuff for refurbish bikes to sell on CL. It stayed together and wrapped long enough to sell the bikes, so it served its purpose.
Old 03-25-21, 04:10 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I've never been a fan of the 'padded' bar tapes. To me, all they do is make the wrapping process more difficult, and they really don't add enough padding to make the effort worthwhile.
I just use Newbaum's Cloth Bar Tape. Zero padding, but then again, that's why I wear padded gloves, isn't it?
So, like wrapping one's bars with hockey tape? Comes in black or white!
Old 03-25-21, 07:18 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by croebuck
I want something both comfortable and stylish and I kind of want to make a statement.
The most comfortable and stylish bar tape I've ever had on any of my bikes is Handlebra ...but holy mother of god is it expensive! It came on a custom bike I had built for me so I didn't realize how pricey it was until it finally came time to replace it. Not sure I need to be that stylish. But it will definitely make a statement!

Originally Posted by croebuck
I’m actually leaning toward white but let me know what you think.
I think anyone who is leaning toward white bar tape probably hasn't owned white bar tape previously.
Either that, or they have a lot of spare time and don't mind being a little OCD.

ime white bar tape is only white bar tape for three or four rides; after that it is gray bar tape. Just not worth the effort to clean it regularly.
Old 03-25-21, 08:39 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
So, like wrapping one's bars with hockey tape? Comes in black or white!
Hockey tape is a bit sticky on the outside. Newbaums has a sticky strip on one side to assist in wrapping, but the side you grab is just cloth. And, it comes in more colors than black or white.