Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

After how many miles a day do we get diminished returns with our fitness?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-14-21, 12:48 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

What's your opinion? Is it 40? 50? 70? 100? I have done 60 miles recently and 70, but I don't feel like there are many other benefits once you get past 40 or 50. I could be wrong. Maybe it's different for everybody? With cycling, you can't really customize the intensity of your whole ride as easily due to stop signs, different road conditions, hills, downhills, etc... The benefit of cycling is that it's more fun so you do it more. But minute per minute, hour per hour, there are more challenging workouts. Now going up a big hill is really a tough workout, but not all routes are going to be the same.
Old 06-14-21, 12:51 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Who is this "we" you speak of?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-14-21, 12:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Eleventy seven.

The longer the ride, the more fat I burn, so there's that. I notice a big difference between 75 and 100 miles in that regard.
Old 06-14-21, 12:54 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Eleventy seven.

The longer the ride, the more fat I burn, so there's that. I notice a big difference between 75 and 100 miles in that regard.

Really? Maybe so. But I eat more the longer I ride. I'm just saying, is there not a diminished return?
Old 06-14-21, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy

It's not capitalized, so definitely not the royal We.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-14-21, 12:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
It depends what you are training for. If you are training for 100 mile rides, then you need to be regularly doing 50+ mile rides to get conditioned for it, especially if you are riding at tempo. If you are just cycling to keep fit, then there's no need to put in that kind of mileage. You get the best bang for your buck riding hard for say an hour.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-14-21, 01:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Really? Maybe so. But I eat more the longer I ride. I'm just saying, is there not a diminished return?

I'm sure there is, but it probably varies per person even if you kept all other factors the same.

I don't necessarily lose weight on the longer rides (especially late in the season when I've pretty much lost all I care to), it's often more replacing fat with muscle.

You're likely to burn fat on a long ride even if you're eating because your digestion can't keep up with the calorie needs of the ride. I assume that varies a lot with how much effort people are putting out per hour or mile, however.
Old 06-14-21, 01:05 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It depends what you are training for. If you are training for 100 mile rides, then you need to be regularly doing 50+ mile rides to get conditioned for it, especially if you are riding at tempo. If you are just cycling to keep fit, then there's no need to put in that kind of mileage. You get the best bang for your buck riding hard for say an hour.

If you are training for 100 miles, would you say it's better to do 50 + miles consistently than to just do one very long ride close to 100 miles, but less often?
Old 06-14-21, 01:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If you are training for 100 miles, would you say it's better to do 50 + miles consistently than to just do one very long ride close to 100 miles, but less often?

I'm not sure what "training" for a ride means. I understand what training for a race means, but I would think the best way to prepare for a ride of 100 miles is to ride 100 miles. I find the more long rides I do, the easier they get, but I'm not sure that if I wasn't largely limited to 25 mile rides during the work week, that I'd be as able to recover from my Saturday century as well as I do.

There's definitely a point of distance and frequency where the damage you're doing to the muscles day to day by the overuse overwhelms your body's ability to repair the damage--in other words, overtraining is a real thing.
Old 06-14-21, 01:32 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Every time I go a little farther than I have in the past I get a mental kick out of it and know I have to step it up to exceed that new best mileage. The rest is all just a perk. I also like being pretty fit for my age and cycling is the one thing that helps the most. I know if I am on a multi hour ride I am burning some serious calories.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 06-14-21, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Every time I go a little farther than I have in the past I get a mental kick out of it and know I have to step it up to exceed that new best mileage. The rest is all just a perk. I also like being pretty fit for my age and cycling is the one thing that helps the most. I know if I am on a multi hour ride I am burning some serious calories.

I live in New England, so I can occasionally get the kick of riding in 3 states in one day, completely under my own power (no cheating by putting the bike on/in the car).
Old 06-14-21, 01:59 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What's your opinion?... I don't feel like there are many other benefits...
DreamRider85 !!!

Clever...
Old 06-14-21, 02:21 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Longer rides build endurance. Short fast rides or HIT can help burn calories quicker. You may need to do other exorcises to achieve overall body fitness.
Likes For JayKay3000:
Old 06-14-21, 02:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depends on the kind of fitness you're trying to develop.
Old 06-14-21, 02:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not sure what "training" for a ride means. I understand what training for a race means, but I would think the best way to prepare for a ride of 100 miles is to ride 100 miles. I find the more long rides I do, the easier they get, but I'm not sure that if I wasn't largely limited to 25 mile rides during the work week, that I'd be as able to recover from my Saturday century as well as I do.

There's definitely a point of distance and frequency where the damage you're doing to the muscles day to day by the overuse overwhelms your body's ability to repair the damage--in other words, overtraining is a real thing.
Kinda confusing GOAL with APPROACH, I think.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-14-21, 02:47 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The OP has a frog in his pocket.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-14-21, 03:02 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Like most fitness questions', the "how many miles?" answer is one of diminishing returns. So you'll get the biggest benefit from the first mile. Mile 2, not so much.

That's not to say that you only need to ride one mile a day to prepare for a 100 mile ride. 60-75 miles in a day would be a better answer, because you'll want to accumulate the benefits or more miles to enable you to ride that long distance without (as many) endurance and fatigue problems. But perhaps you have to ride two miles, #74 and #75, towards the end of your long training ride to accrue the same benefit as your first mile.
Old 06-14-21, 03:12 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Like most fitness questions', the "how many miles?" answer is one of diminishing returns. So you'll get the biggest benefit from the first mile. Mile 2, not so much.
What about VO2 slow kinetics?
Old 06-14-21, 03:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've never seen a mileage based fitness plan. It's time and effort (however you measure that, could be power, HR, or RPE).
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-14-21, 03:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I'd tend to think if you eat more because of that longer ride, then you probably are having to put out too much effort currently to do those longer rides.

Rides I do at very high to max efforts, I tend to eat back all the Calories I expended on the ride. When I ride at low to moderate efforts then I don't gorge myself on food for the next few days after the ride. This seems to be rides of any length for me. Though I've always felt that long rides of any sort let me lose weight. Maybe I just pace myself better on longer rides of 50 to 100 miles.

As for we in your title..... Do you think we all ride for the same reasons? I doubt many of us have the same reasons and desires for what and why we do it. So your bell curve you are trying to figure out might be really skewed.

Don't use we in your next title please. After all we are individuals with our own wants and needs. Being part of a controlled collective is not my desire.
Old 06-14-21, 03:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What's your opinion? Is it 40? 50? 70? 100? .
None of the above...Numbers have nothing to do with fitness....Diminishing returns happen after your body adepts to the exercise or activity which you are doing and that particular exercise no longer provides enough stimulus for your body to improve. This happens to everybody and there are no exceptions. The only way to continually make progress is to change how you exercise and train. Changing things around is what provides new stimulus for the body and that's how fitness improves.
Old 06-14-21, 03:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,266 Times in 7,222 Posts
It’s his newest schtick. He will keep it up as long as people keep responding.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-21, 04:33 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd tend to think if you eat more because of that longer ride, then you probably are having to put out too much effort currently to do those longer rides.
I can't see that how hungry you are is a good measure of the training effect of a ride.

All other things equal: the longer the effort, the higher the training stress, the greater the fitness adaptation.

A measure of "too much effort" would be symptoms of overtraining: fatigue, lethargy, insomnia, weight fluctuations, high resting heart rate, etc.

Old 06-14-21, 04:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genejockey
Kinda confusing GOAL with APPROACH, I think.

That's actually my point-- "training for a ride" seems to confuse an approach to one kind of goal (competitive racing) with a different kind (non-competitive distance riding).
You don't train to take a long walk or jog 10 miles.

It just seems obvious to me that the way you get ready to do a 100 mile ride isn't by "training" per se, but rather by increasing the distance you ride. So doing a bunch of 50 mile rides to "train" for a100 seems dubious on its face. On the other hand, incrementally working up to 100 miles over a series of rides would make sense to me, but each one of those shorter than 100 mile rides is also a ride, so I think it's kind of silly to call them training sessions.
Old 06-14-21, 04:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I can't see that how hungry you are is a good measure of the training effect of a ride.

All other things equal: the longer the effort, the higher the training stress, the greater the fitness adaptation.

A measure of "too much effort" would be symptoms of overtraining: fatigue, lethargy, insomnia, weight fluctuations, high resting heart rate, etc.
How do you get the idea I'm talking about training effect from that? I'm not taking training effect into consideration at all.

I was just giving the OP a possible reason why they feel they eat more on long rides. On my long rides, I've never felt overly hungry afterwards. It is my short very hard rides that I tend to eat large amounts of food for a time afterward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.