Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 01:11 PM
C0UG4R

Bikes: 1984 Serotta Nova Special, 1976 Zeus, 1995 Park Pre Pro825, 1992 Cannondale M800, 1993 Bridgestone MB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 25 Posts
Here's a few more pictures:

Up on 9 mile hill.

Nice truck!

Neal and Mark on the last few miles.
Old 09-02-21, 02:27 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Great pictures, C0UG4R !
Old 09-02-21, 02:36 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

I didn’t take ANY photos this year having failed to pack my camera and I found it hard to write a cohesive story without the aid of my visual ‘crib notes” so I’ve taken the liberty to comment on the pictures others posted to try and tell my perspective.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the brotherhood of broken clavicles @davester, wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Same goes for the concussion too. I descend much slower these days being more afraid of suffering another concussion than anything else.

I really like that picture you got of Andy Speier (in the foreground in the stocking hat). One of the indelible memories of Cino this year is of him calmly riding up along side of me on a few of the long climbs over the weekend. I’d be in the basement, trying to stay out of O2 debt while he’s totally at ease striking up a friendly conversation as if we were sitting in a cafe. I’m like, dying inside trying to speak but all that comes out are some desperate high note “Heep….heep” noises. Not finding our conversation all that interesting, he’d spin away looking for his next victim :-)

Originally Posted by davester

Atala Man
Thanks rccardr Doc for traveling all the way to to the wilds of Montana in spite of your injury to help out at Cino. I really like the picture you got of Soup_Please Scott and I at the start. I had been soft selling Cino to him for years knowing he’d love the experience and this year I added an enticement and he took the bait: All he had to do was fly in to Spokane with a carry on bag and I’d provide the bike and transportation to and from Kila for the weekend. My Singer only required some minor adjustments to fit him and it worked out great. No need to spoon feed this guy though… He is a very strong and experienced rider and I took great pleasure from riding with him during the weekend. It was like watching a much better version me riding the Cino.

Originally Posted by rccardr
A very different Cino for me this year.

Scott flew in from Arizona, had full Concierge level service from Matt, who drove him in, provided the bike, and likely gave him snacks as well.
I’m a little embarrassed to say that I missed a turn on the route and led Scott, @VRJAKE (John), @johnnyace (Johnny) down Battle Butte road which eventually took us to the Sunday pranza location at the intersection with Browns Meadow road. At least I knew where we were at so we followed the Sunday route across the valley to where the Day 1 and Day 2 courses intersect a few miles from the bottom of the infamous downhill that most people fear going down after day 1 Lunch.

Should we skip Lunch and go directly to Hot Springs or ride up to Pranza?

John was concerned that his wife Virginia would be worried if he didn’t show up at lunch so off we went up that nasty hill, low on water in the heat of the day. I was running high pressure 30mm tires with a 36x29 low gear and could not keep traction where the road pitched up steeply before the big hairpin turn. I got off and walked for a little bit until I found easier section to mount up again and finished the climb. We regrouped on top of the hill and had a beautiful descent down to the green gate that marked the entrance to the private Oasis where Pranza was located. We began to see folks leaving from lunch as we descended many whom gave us a puzzled look as we passed by. I felt relieved of my guilt when the folks I had led astray got to experience that wonderful waterfall at Pranza. John and Scott both told me later they really enjoyed our tough but beautiful side trip. Johnny on the other hand, I am not so sure (sorry).

Later that night soaking in the hot springs after dinner, my head swimming in Sangria I laughed stupidly as Scott tried to talk Mark out of 1st refusal rights to my Singer when I should sell it.

On Sunday, Scott and I were some of the last riders to leave Hot Springs, choosing to soak in the Hot Springs before striking out on fresh Al Dente legs. We rode at a good clip chasing momentum over the gravel rollers as we reeled in riders spread out over the course. Jim squirtdad had assimilated into the wonderful group of volunteers helping out at lunch there. A really nice guy, I admire his positive and friendly attitude. A true show of the Cino Spirit.

Reaching the top of Browns Meadow Pass is always a joy. You hear folks cheering arrivals before you see it and suddenly there you are and Doc, the “Martini Man” handing you a celebratory drink.

Matt and Scott enjoying their reward
The last few miles back into town and off to the Kila Pub for a final gathering. It seems like the weekend is over too soon but at the same time, like a lifetime of rich experiences. It’s a little sad to see it come to an end.

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

Yeah, we never got coordinated enough to get a photo of all BF members together before we started - sorry! It seems I missed connecting with a couple/three members who'd indicated they'd be attending, but there's always next year. The two photos above represent half the BF contingent present for Cino 2021.

DD
I guess everyone will just have to return next year, God willing to get a full BF group photo.

A number of us went back to Hot Springs for one last taste Sunday Night. It is such a quirky place. Wandering down main street, we pass by residents who call out greeting you, deer quietly grazing in peoples yards. A town drunk beckoning us to come over to a beer garden and have a drink with him. We finally decide on Fergies Pub for dinner. The young cook is out front sitting on a bench having a smoke with some locals one of which was an older woman dressed in a slinky low cut hot pink cocktail dress. We smile, walk in and take one of the many open tables. The waitress comes by a few minutes later, a bit agitated saying “It’ll be a few minutes before I can take your order, something really bizarre just happened” It was a perfect moment that encapsulated this wonderfully oddball town.

Much gratitude to and affection for @mountaindave and his awesome volunteers for making Cino possible.
Cino would have died out if it weren’t for Dave. I hope the School profits from your effort and they see the value in sponsoring it in the future.

May Cino live on forever.

Thank you!

Last edited by northbend; 09-04-21 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-02-21, 02:39 PM
rowjimmy

Bikes: Litespeed Ghisallo, Detroit Bikes Single Speed, Knoa Honzo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Great pics! I'm the one on the Badgers jersey suffering up 9 mile hill. I had no idea that picture was taken. C0UG4R
Likes For rowjimmy:
Old 09-02-21, 03:39 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
@davester Thanks for the update. Again, sorry to hear your Cino experience was cut short in such a painful way. Hope you are only reading this once you are ready for a return to screen time. Take care and heal well!
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 09-02-21, 03:40 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
First Cino

This was my first Cino. What can I say — it was a great ride. Perfect weather, excellent company, fine food (mostly) ... I'll surely be back. I won't tell too many people about it, though, because one of the things that made it a great ride was the size: ~60 riders is so much more companionable than ~1000 riders. It was also really good to attach faces and bikes to the BF handles that I've been seeing.

I'll post a few pictures here, and put the rest on Flickr. Please correct the captions and supply missing ones.

MountainDave, clouds, and the pre-ride pep-talk

I stopped on a corner to photograph the riders behind me — please identify yourselves

Me (Andrew) at the pranza stop.

Bob and Jeremy

Jeremy on his fixie — still smiling after four punctures

Corey on his Alex Singer

The spirit of Cino! Andy on his Atala in the lead.

Matt and Neal — still smiling at the finish

Last edited by SquireBlack; 09-02-21 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added Flickr link
Old 09-02-21, 04:12 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Anyone want to give a lowdown on what tires you used, what size, psi, and how they performed?
700C x 30mm FMB Paris Roubaix tubulars at 65 front, 70 back. No flats, knock on wood.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-02-21, 04:17 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Since we got home, Thomas and I made a few adjustments on his new bike. We swapped tires for some that matched, changed saddles, adjusted cable tensions, and removed one bottle cage.

I'm really amazed that he 'almost' fits it. The reach is a bit long and the seatpost is low in the tube, but he can ride it. Today is the first time ever for him using downtube friction shifters(even if only in the driveway).

Thomas did well for his first Cino:

davester gifted him a Berkeley jersey. thank you
He won an award(the bicycle art)
and. A new bike

Proud of this kid for sticking with it all weekend.

We will tear it down this winter and do a full service/polish on it. He'll be riding it regularly by next spring.
Old 09-02-21, 04:44 PM
northbend 

Originally Posted by SquireBlack
This was my first Cino. What can I say — it was a great ride. Perfect weather, excellent company, fine food (mostly) ... I'll surely be back. I won't tell too many people about it, though, because one of the things that made it a great ride was the size: ~60 riders is so much more companionable than ~1000 riders. It was also really good to attach faces and bikes to the BF handles that I've been seeing.

I'll post a few pictures here, and put the rest on Flickr. Please correct the captions and supply missing ones.

Me (northbend) in the foreground, Gugie in the background
I stopped on a corner to photograph the riders behind me — please identify yourselves

gugie in the lead, Bob Freeman in the background

davester
Hey Andrew, Captions noted above in Bold
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-02-21, 04:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Since we got home, Thomas and I made a few adjustments on his new bike. We swapped tires for some that matched, changed saddles, adjusted cable tensions, and removed one bottle cage.

I'm really amazed that he 'almost' fits it. The reach is a bit long and the seatpost is low in the tube, but he can ride it. Today is the first time ever for him using downtube friction shifters(even if only in the driveway).

Thomas did well for his first Cino:

davester gifted him a Berkeley jersey. thank you
He won an award(the bicycle art)
and. A new bike

Proud of this kid for sticking with it all weekend.

We will tear it down this winter and do a full service/polish on it. He'll be riding it regularly by next spring.
Absolutely priceless, this is one of those times Dads live for, great job Thomas, and Dad.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-02-21, 08:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Hey, obrentharris - did you ever make it to Cino? IIRC, you made a post some time back from the road, camping along the way; were you sidetracked by even more beautiful scenery?

Anybody been in contact with Brent? I thought it strange he didn't appear to be riding with us either day, and he hasn't posted on BF since the 21st.

DD
Old 09-02-21, 08:30 PM
northbend 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Hey, obrentharris - did you ever make it to Cino? IIRC, you made a post some time back from the road, camping along the way; were you sidetracked by even more beautiful scenery?

Anybody been in contact with Brent? I thought it strange he didn't appear to be riding with us either day, and he hasn't posted on BF since the 21st.

DD
He's fine, I messaged him yesterday.
Old 09-02-21, 08:49 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^

DD
Old 09-02-21, 08:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
And that jersey looks like it was made for him, so cool.

[/QUOTE]
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-02-21, 10:11 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I was a bit disappointed that no one (as far as I know) won the Jacques Anquetil award. If I were about 20 years younger, I might have tried for it, but alas, I'm middle-aged and mostly boring these days.
We have to give that award the next morning due to parting requirements. I forgot to announce it.

Hans, the judge on Saturday morning, rode over with his buddy in just a hair under four hours ride time! That’s about a 15mph average the whole way! Then they went to Fergie's and almost got in a fight with some pool sharks, and didn’t get home until 1:00. They didn’t leave hot springs until 9:30 and still arrived at Brown’s Meadow Pass with everyone else. Animals. And the Jacque Anquetil winner!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 09-02-21, 10:46 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I was told many times by my volunteers, especially my admin, that I have to allow them to help more next year. I feel like I know Cino enough now to let people take over jobs. Reed actually did an amazing job of breaking down roles and responsibilities, but sometimes it’s hard to explain them if you aren’t familiar with them. Kind of like giving a volunteer directions to the middle of nowhere - follow the riders?…

I’m all destressed and ready for school to start. I’m so glad we got to hang out for a wonderful weekend.

I’ll begin consulting with @nlearner; to be sure he can attend next year’s Cino so we can again have spectacular weather. As @majmt mentioned, summer was hot, smokey and miserable right up to a week before Cino. So Neal needs to come back!

And I promise to have better vegetarian options next time!

Just fantastic photos everyone!

If you’re willing to share, please send some to my director email and I’ll get a bunch posted up on the website.

Cheers!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 09-02-21, 10:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
I was told many times by my volunteers, especially my admin, that I have to allow them to help more next year. I feel like I know Cino enough now to let people take over jobs. Reed actually did an amazing job of breaking down roles and responsibilities, but sometimes it’s hard to explain them if you aren’t familiar with them. Kind of like giving a volunteer directions to the middle of nowhere - follow the riders?…

I’m all destressed and ready for school to start. I’m so glad we got to hang out for a wonderful weekend.

I’ll begin consulting with @nlearner; to be sure he can attend next year’s Cino so we can again have spectacular weather. As @majmt mentioned, summer was hot, smokey and miserable right up to a week before Cino. So Neal needs to come back!

And I promise to have better vegetarian options next time!

Just fantastic photos everyone!

If you’re willing to share, please send some to my director email and I’ll get a bunch posted up on the website.

Cheers!
Just grab the pix from @Drillium Dude's Flickr site. @rccardr should have a few hundred uploaded sometime soon, but he's doing it one handed, so it might take awhile.
Old 09-02-21, 11:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gugie
Just grab the pix from @Drillium Dude's Flickr site
Yup, I'm totally cool with that - share away

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-03-21, 06:49 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
I’m a little embarrassed to say that I missed a turn on the route and led @VRJAKE (John), @johnnyace (Johnny) down Battle Butte road which eventually took us to the Sunday pranza location at the intersection with Browns Meadow road. At least I knew where we were at so we followed the Sunday route across the valley to where the Day 1 and Day 2 courses intersect a few miles from the bottom of the infamous downhill that most people fear going down after day 1 Lunch.

Should we skip Lunch and go directly to Hot Springs or ride up to Pranza?

John was concerned that his wife Virginia would be worried if he didn’t show up at lunch so off we went up that nasty hill, low on water in the heat of the day. I was running high pressure 30mm tires with a 36x29 low gear and could not keep traction where the road pitched up steeply before the big hairpin turn. I got off and walked for a little bit until I found easier section to mount up again and finished the climb. We regrouped on top of the hill and had a beautiful descent down to the green gate that marked the entrance to the private Oasis where Pranza was located. We began to see folks leaving from lunch as we descended many whom gave us a puzzled look as we passed by. I felt relieved of my guilt when the folks I had led astray got to experience that wonderful waterfall at Pranza. John and Scott both told me later they really enjoyed our tough but beautiful side trip. Johnny on the other hand, I am not so sure (sorry).
No worries on the wrong turn, Matt. I took it in the spirit of Cino, and although that climb back to Pranza nearly did me in and my right knee was very unhappy, I had a great time. There's definitely worse things in life than volunteering the rest of the weekend with wonderful people, at a wonderful event, in an amazing place. Looking forward to next year!
Old 09-03-21, 06:53 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
We have to give that award the next morning due to parting requirements. I forgot to announce it.

Hans, the judge on Saturday morning, rode over with his buddy in just a hair under four hours ride time! That’s about a 15mph average the whole way! Then they went to Fergie's and almost got in a fight with some pool sharks, and didn’t get home until 1:00. They didn’t leave hot springs until 9:30 and still arrived at Brown’s Meadow Pass with everyone else. Animals. And the Jacque Anquetil winner!
Excellent! I knew it had to occur the following morning, I just didn't know that it had been fulfilled. Yay, Hans!
Old 09-03-21, 08:03 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Here's the link to 320 photos of Cino Heroica 2021. Enjoy!

Cino Heroica 2021 | Flickr
Old 09-03-21, 08:16 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts

Thanks much Doc, very nice of you to do. I think I am going to start a Cino 2022 savings plan.
Old 09-03-21, 08:35 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
nlerner has thrown down the gauntlet to all of us here in New England. If he can make the weather perfect, I'm going to do my darndest to attend in 2022. Neal, I'll be in touch to see how you handled your logistics from Boston to Montana and back. It's not a short drive by any stretch of the imagination!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-03-21, 10:18 AM
northbend 

EXCELLENT PHOTOS Doc!
Old 09-03-21, 12:24 PM
BenottoGuy

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Great shots, Doc. Thanks for capturing the front brake debacle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.