Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Used bike vs new big box store bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 12:57 PM
Afkkek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a bike, but being very new to this world I thought I'd seek some advice here regarding what your views and opinions are towards used bikes of better makes versus new bikes of arguably worse quality (ie big box stores).

The two bikes I'm looking at would be either:
A) Brand new Raleigh Overtake on clearance at ~$316 at a local big box store.
B) Used 2005 Trek 1000 through a friend who's knowledgable about bikes for ~$200.

Now I totally understand that no one can give me an exact recommendation of what to do without knowing of the condition of the used bike (I'd post pics but haven't met the post quota yet to be able to do that), but I'm more thinking about just the generalities of buying a bike that old. I've seen local forum posts of biking enthusiasts completely pan the notion of buying a bike from that store but are big box stores really THAT bad versus your small dedicated bike stores, or versus what seems to be an ancient bike? Anyways would love to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-21, 01:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-26-21, 01:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Afkkek
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a bike, but being very new to this world I thought I'd seek some advice here regarding what your views and opinions are towards used bikes of better makes versus new bikes of arguably worse quality (ie big box stores).

B) Used 2005 Trek 1000 through a friend who's knowledgable about bikes for ~$200.

Now I totally understand that no one can give me an exact recommendation of what to do without knowing of the condition of the used bike (I'd post pics but haven't met the post quota yet to be able to do that), but I'm more thinking about just the generalities of buying a bike that old. I've seen local forum posts of biking enthusiasts completely pan the notion of buying a bike from that store but are big box stores really THAT bad versus your small dedicated bike stores, or versus what seems to be an ancient bike? Anyways would love to hear some of your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

The Overtake is perfect for those who rarely venture beyond their subdivision cul-de-sac. In general, the more bells and whistles they put on a big box bike, the more corners they cut. Raleigh spec'd the Overtake with a (garbage) suspension fork, and so to offset the cost of that, they used a crap seatpost, riveted chainrings, a nutted spindle, and probably took every other shortcut they could in order bring the thing to market for $300. Other than the Tourney derailleur, there's not much on that bike that I'd even consider a quality part.

The "ancient" Trek is better in almost every respect, and every single component represents a significant upgrade over the Raleigh. For $200, this is a no-brainer.
Old 09-26-21, 02:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
For $200, this is a no-brainer.
If it fits.

I'm more thinking about just the generalities of buying a bike that old.
​​​​​​​2005 is way too new for me. My oldest is from 1972. My most recent is from 1987. I can ride any on a century (or further).
Old 09-26-21, 02:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you buy new from a big box store and have the mechanical skills to know that everything is put together correctly and to do any needed maintenance or adjustment, then you might be good with one. In fact, until my kids were grown up and able to buy their own, that's what I bought for them. Inexpensive enough to simply throw away.

Otherwise used is good too, but again unless you know how to DIY your own stuff, stick to a brand that is new enough to not be such a hassle finding parts for and that it is a brand that the local bike shops in the area service and sell.

With whatever you get make sure it fits. If you are wanting a road bike, then big box store almost-a-road-bike models might be a tad heavy.
Old 09-26-21, 02:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's better to purchase a used brand name bike than a brand new big-box department store bike....Even if you have mechanical skills to work on bikes, it's still not worth upgrading a department store bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-26-21, 05:11 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Get the Trek. No brainer.............
Likes For frogman:
Old 09-26-21, 05:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
How much do you know about bikes? How much have you ridden in the past? Do you currently own a bike, and if so, how much do you ride? If not, how long has it been since you have ridden a bike?
Originally Posted by Rolla
The Overtake is perfect for those who rarely venture beyond their subdivision cul-de-sac. In general, the more bells and whistles they put on a big box bike, the more corners they cut. Raleigh spec'd the Overtake with a (garbage) suspension fork, and so to offset the cost of that, they used a crap seatpost, riveted chainrings, a nutted spindle, and probably took every other shortcut they could in order bring the thing to market for $300.
This is factual. The Raleigh will be a great bike so long as "riding" for you is fifteen minutes around the neighborhood at ten mph after dinner each evening. More than that and you do not want the Raleigh.

On the other hand the Trek might be an equally bad purchase. it might not fit, it might not suit your riding needs or desires, it might need work which you will have to ay a lot to have someone else do .... and you might spend a lot of money on it only ti find that you don't ride it and it will take up space in your garage for ten years, before it becomes the subject of another thread just like this one.

The right answer is Not "either/or." You need to look at each purchase individually.

You might be asking "Should I buy this diamond or this turd." You might be asking, "Which of these poisons should I eat?"
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-26-21, 05:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts

Thanks in advance!
For a start any suspension fork on a $300 bike is guaranteed to be complete junk. You are far better off with a rigid fork on any budget bike. Your friend's Trek is likely to be a better bet if it's in good condition and it fits you.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-26-21, 06:32 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Afkkek:
IF YOU ARE A NOVICE AND ARE AN ADULT THAT IS BEGINNING TO RIDE AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE YOU WERE 14 Years OLD, AND STABILITY AND COMFORT ARE YOUR MAIN CONCERNS, then The Raleigh Overtake WILL BE THE BEST CHOICE BY A HUGE MARGIN!!!

Here is Why:
The Raleigh has 700 x 38C TIRES
and
The (2005) TREK 1000 has 700 x 25C TIRES

*******The WIDER WHEELS AND MUCH WIDER TREAD WILL GIVE YOU A MUCH MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE RIDE AND GREATER STABILITY******
The 700 x 25 C tires and wheels will transmit more road shock as you will feel many more road bumps than with a softer, lower pressure wider 700 X 38 C that seems to soak up such road irregularities such that you do not feel many of them. The 700 x 25 C tires and wheels will be faster but the ride will be somewhat harsh compared to the 700 x 38C tires and wheels of the Raleigh Overtake.

The TREK 1000 from 2005 is a fine quality bicycle but you are dealing with two distinctly different animals.
Someone with significant road riding experience will 99% of the time opt for the TREK 1000 because they enjoy the more crouched road type riding position and the nimble maneuverabilty and faster response and speed of the TREK 1000 as they are accustomed to the much harsher ride that road type bikes with higher PSI pressure tires provide.

Certainly, the old TREK does have better quality grade equipment, but this you must remember is all relative, meaning that once you have equipment of decent enough quality that provides excellent reliability, it does not matter what the hell upgrade as the RALEIGH is more like a VOLVO 244 STATIONWAGON, FORD CROWN VICTORIA as you aren't gonna make a lightweight responsive sports car out of it, no matter how much you upgrade it or boost the horsepower to make it go faster,
The TREK is like a CORVETTE, with a firm rough ride, and not particulary great compared to other, better engineered and better built sports cars from other marques, but it isn't all that bad considering it is a General Motors product, and at least people no longer think of them as garbage motors and the Corvette isn't that second rate and far beyond the competition as it once was.
Simply put, the TREK ain't as good as some might think, although it is a fine product, and that current day big-box Overtake is not nearly as bad as many would lead you to believe. Sure, the serious cyclist enthusiasts are gonna say go TREK but remember this that realistically you may not be ready to run with the big dogs and their sporty crouched position "better" machinery. IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED AND LIKE THE "Sporty-Ride", DEFINITELY GO WITH THE 2005 TREK, BUT IF COMFORT & RIDE QUALITY and STABILITY is WHAT YOU WANT, THEN YOU SHOULD CHOOSE THE 2021 RALEIGH OVERTAKE because the 700 x 38C will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. Certainly, you could look at other Used & New Bicycles with something in 700 X 38C or that ballpark that may be technically superior to that Raleigh but at the end of the day, many things may not matter one bit unless your aim is for greater speed to ride with a fast pack or to race in a triathlon, in which case you should be seeking different bicycles than these two choices. There is nothing wrong with choosing a "comfort bicycle" or something more sporting. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WILL BE RIDING IT! IF YOU DON'T ENJOY THE RIDE, YOU'LL NOT RIDE VERY MUCH, AND YOU'LL REGRET CHOOSING THE WRONG STYLE OF BICYCLE! You are unfortunately the only person who knows what you'd actually like to ride, so follow your instincts and don't feel like you have to follow the herd because Eddy Jerkxx or Lanny Dumbstrong says you gotta go with the lightest one with the best groupset.
Remember to always wear a helmet when you ride your bike!

https://raleigh-canada.ca/products/r...brid-bike-700c

https://raleigh-canada.ca/products/r...brid-bike-700c

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...k/1000/details

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 09-26-21 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-26-21, 06:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Caps Lock key getting stuck?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-26-21, 07:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I guess the OP should just get a fat bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-26-21, 07:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

The Raleigh is sort of the offspring of an overweight Yugo and a broke-down Ford Pinto. The Raleigh will have the durability of a balloon and the reliability of an unplugged digital clock. If you cover it with a sufficient number of drop cloths it will reside quietly in your garage for a year or two, after which time it will start disintegrating.

If you take it outside and ride it ... well, at least you won't have to walk home far, but dragging it home will be a pain since it weighs as much as a dead pony---and probably would be about as much fun to ride.

The Trek, on the other hand, is pretty much as @Vintage Schwinn described it. if you are not already a cyclist, or are a very casual cyclist, you will find the Trek awkward and unstable and uncomfortable .... assuming it it even close to fits you, and assuming it is in anything like rideable condition. it is a fine bike for someone who wants to do a quick 15 or 50 miles several times a week, and not so good for riding slowly around the neighborhood after dinner.

Don't pay too much attention to Vintage Schwinn's tire obsession---a big, heavy tire on a big, heavy wheel will weigh you down and make every pedal stroke feel like too much of an effort for how far it moves the bike. Plus, that useless, overweight front shock will suck up even more energy.

You really need to answer the questions that I asked above if you want serious advice:

How much do you know about bikes? How much have you ridden in the past? Do you currently own a bike, and if so, how much do you ride? If not, how long has it been since you have ridden a bike?

and also,

How do you plan to ride this new bike?

it's like going to a hardware store and buying a random tool and hoping it is the tool you need for the job. Good luck with that .... and good luck with your search for a bicycle.

here is some hopefully helpful advice: if you are willing to spend $300 for Walmart junk .... spend $75 for Walmart junk and get the simplest bike they sell. One speed, no shifters, no suspension, just a hop-on-and-ride beach cruiser. if, after several months, you find that you are riding a lot and really want a better bike, take the remaining $200 and whatever you have saved up in the meantime, and start shopping for a bike you might want to and be able to ride for several years enjoyable. I can guarantee you it won't be a low-budget, all-style/no-substance big-box bike with a useless suspension fork and parts which will break the first time the bike falls over---and cannot be replaced.

And just for kicks----whichever way you go, come back to this thread in six months or so and see what you think of it then.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-26-21, 07:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
2 diff types of bike. one is a road bike, one is not. instead of deciding between seller or quality it would be smarter the decide between the 2 types of bike. then, after that decision, go shopping
Old 09-26-21, 08:11 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Think more about why you want a bike and how you would use it. Then post here again. You will get better advice.
As to your question, you likely will get more bang for the buck with a used bike, That is if you know how to evaluate bikes. If not, I would say to visit a bike shop just to see what's available and what size fits you. You could learn a lot.
​​​​​
The two bikes you mention are worlds apart
Likes For Oakman:
Old 09-26-21, 08:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Get the Trek.

There's no question.
Old 09-26-21, 09:08 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
If you don't mind tweaking a bit, a used name brand Bike is definitely better.
That's a big "if"
I have a Giant Toughroad I bought last year this time, it had a funny creaking noise.
I changed the bearings, pedals, brakes and headset and the noise wouldn't go away,
Just last month I discovered when I lubed the seat clamp and seat rail, the noise disappeared.
So I have a a really great bike now, 11 months and 2000 miles later
Old 09-27-21, 06:45 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
2 diff types of bike. one is a road bike, one is not. instead of deciding between seller or quality it would be smarter the decide between the 2 types of bike. then, after that decision, go shopping
This. Op sees two completely different styles of bike that he can afford, and asks which one is the 'best' buy. Not the correct question!
Old 09-27-21, 06:51 AM
Maelochs

I am waiting to see if the OP ever returns.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-27-21, 07:10 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
This. Op sees two completely different styles of bike that he can afford, and asks which one is the 'best' buy. Not the correct question!
But a beginner doesn't know the difference. Doesn't know what's the "right" question to ask

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am waiting to see if the OP ever returns.
It's only been 1 day.
Old 09-27-21, 07:14 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
The Raleight you can forget about it. You might do just as well by going to yard sales and get any random bike for $20. It wouldn't be any worse than that.

For the Trek, it's best if you go ride it and see for yourself. You can tell immediate whether you like it or not.
Old 09-27-21, 10:06 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
OP is probably not coming back.

I think what gave it away was having a friend who is knowledgeable about bikes.

It is like… “My brother is a doctor, but I’m going on Facebook for a second opinion.”

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-02-21, 01:35 PM
Afkkek

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks all for your advice so far, the input has been great. I can't quote all the individual comments with there being so many, so here are some responses to things off the top of my head:

I plan to just ride casually on paved trails/paths hopefully as an alternative to running. Been more of a runner, but feeling the wear and tear in the legs settling in now so looking for some other way to get outdoors and get some cardio in. As someone asked, experience I can say is near nil as I've only ridden as a kid, but never bothered after that.

As for why I'm asking for second opinions on forums despite having a knowledgable buddy, people sometimes will have fixed opinions about things one way or another without necessarily being rational, so it never hurts to get a second opinion - and come on, you guys really haven't disappointed.
Old 10-03-21, 05:08 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 373 Posts
Buy from the friend.

The knowledgeable friend will give you better after market advice and info on the bike and how to repair.
Old 10-03-21, 07:20 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
I would go with the Trek as long as the bike fits. With the money saved you could ask your buddy about what changes or upgrades could improve the Trek. You can also make changes based on your cycling style (cruising or speed). For example, change the handle bars. If you later discover that the bike is not being used, you can always sell it back to another bicycle user.

https://products.roadbikereview.com/...00-290760.html

https://www.bmxonline.com/trek-1000-review/

Last edited by jfouellette; 10-03-21 at 07:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.