Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shipping my bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shipping my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-16, 01:53 AM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite / 2016 Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shipping my bike

So I will be moving from Hawaii to Texas in July. Most of our household goods are going into long term storage until we get to the area, scope out neighborhoods and purchase or have our house built. That being said, I don't want to put my bike into long term storage and I don't want to be without it for too long so I want to ship it to a friend's house who currently lives in the area we are relocating to. The bike is a Specialized Tarmac expert so carbon fiber and I purchased it roughly a month ago so practically brand new. What is the easiest, while also being cost friendly, method of shipping this bike to Texas? Should I take it to my LBS and have them pack it up (honestly I don't know if I trust myself)? Do LBS's actually offer shipping services from shop to shop?

I am also thinking about potentially purchasing a plastic case and taking it with me on the airplane. I am flying to San Diego and driving my truck from there so I would only have to pay to get it to San Diego if I take it on the plane with me. Thanks in advance for the replies and advice.
Old 05-21-16, 03:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I've never used them but Bikeflights seems the way to go.

https://www.bikeflights.com/
Old 05-21-16, 04:05 AM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

Yeah I actually checked that site and it quoted me $245 to ship the bike from Hawaii to Texas. I don't consider that too bad, but that doesn't count the cost of any packing materials that I may need. I can probably get a box form my local LBS I was thinking.
Old 05-21-16, 04:23 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I used them to ship a bike on vacation
I had no issues at all would use them again
Old 05-21-16, 05:51 AM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The bike flights site looks pretty cost effective. I have shipped bikes UPS after self boxing and it was pretty expensive. Charlotte to DC was like $120. Also tried the hard case thing. Besides getting hit for $100 by US Air for oversize luggage both ways, then you need a car big enough to haul the case around once you are there.
Old 05-21-16, 05:57 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikeflights
Old 05-21-16, 07:13 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Why not bring it with you? I take my bike to Kona every time, and depending on airline, business or economy class, and even the predisposition of the airline attendant at the counter, it's ~$50-75 one way. But you do have to invest in a bike box/case, which I consider a long term investment. (BTW, mine's a Thule Transition, taken a lot of abuse, but as solid as they come.)
Old 05-21-16, 07:23 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

I've used them a few times and way cheaper than shipping directly through carriier or having lbs ship
Old 05-21-16, 12:48 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all and it looks like bikeflights.com is the way to go. I will probably invest in a hard plastic case to protect the bike. You don't spend $3000+ on a bike and then go cheap on protecting it.
Old 05-21-16, 03:02 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wxmcpo
Thanks all and it looks like bikeflights.com is the way to go. I will probably invest in a hard plastic case to protect the bike. You don't spend $3000+ on a bike and then go cheap on protecting it.
I work at UPS and every single day, I see bike boxes with bikes poking thru the sides. With a nice bike, I'd definitely invest in a hard case.
Old 05-21-16, 03:16 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which method offers the best insurance

I'm sure ninety-nine out of a hundred times the bike will not be damaged in transit but I guess you have to prepare for that one out of a hundred times. In that case which of the options mentioned has the best insurance.
Old 05-21-16, 08:41 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Why not bring it with you? I take my bike to Kona every time, and depending on airline, business or economy class, and even the predisposition of the airline attendant at the counter, it's ~$50-75 one way. But you do have to invest in a bike box/case, which I consider a long term investment. (BTW, mine's a Thule Transition, taken a lot of abuse, but as solid as they come.)
Bring it with you as in how? Packed up in a box and given to bag check?
Old 05-22-16, 06:35 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben I.
I work at UPS and every single day, I see bike boxes with bikes poking thru the sides. With a nice bike, I'd definitely invest in a hard case.
dislike
Old 05-22-16, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Yes. Bikefligts rocks. Next month I will be using them for the third time for a tour starting in Missoula. I can pay a local LBS to pack the bike, ship it and have a LBS assemble and tune the bike for about what my airline charges to fly with the bike.

Check out CrateWorks. They offer less less expensive alternatives to hard cases. I have used their plastic cases numerous times with road bikes and large, heavy touring bikes. Not sure what they will charge you to ship one to HI though.
Old 05-22-16, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cave12man
Bring it with you as in how? Packed up in a box and given to bag check?
Yes. Plenty of people fly with bikes. I have done it several times. From a cost perspective, it might be cheaper for the OP to go this route.

I have been shipping lately since I my trips usually consist of fully-loaded touring. I don't want to risk having my stove confiscated by the TSA so I put it and empty fuel bottle in the bike box along with my racks and ship everything to a LBS in the starting city. When you ship you don't have to deal with getting the bike to and from the airport. And it's often a lot cheaper. In the case of the OP, however, he in HI, which is why he got quoted such a high rate. You can't ground ship all the way from HI to TX.
Old 05-22-16, 01:07 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, I'm flying to Miami from Philly in December and have no idea how to get my bike there. Had no idea you could literally box it up and turn it in as a checked bag.
Old 05-22-16, 03:03 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Check out CrateWorks. They offer less less expensive alternatives to hard cases. I have used their plastic cases numerous times with road bikes and large, heavy touring bikes. Not sure what they will charge you to ship one to HI though.
Wow! Their plastic bike box runs $249 (that isn't the wow part). Shipping on the plastic bike box (which only weighs a 22 lbs) to Hawaii is $228.90.
Old 05-22-16, 04:43 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Yes, fly with the bike in a hard bike case as oversized luggage. Check you airline's policy page - it has overall length limit based on the boxes w/h/l dimensions, and weight, typically to 50lbs max. My last trip to Kona a couple of months back was via Alaska Airlines, and from Vancouver it was $75 one way.
Old 05-22-16, 04:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
+1 on BikeFlights.

I have used them. Never had a problem.

Get boxes from the LBS. Ship the wheels separate in their own box(es). Dismount the tires so the wheels fit.

They have a tutorial on how to pack at the website.
Old 05-22-16, 04:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
dislike
I've seen UPS literally drop boxes with Cisco routers and laptop computers onto the ground from the back of the truck.
Old 05-22-16, 06:02 PM
indyfabz

Wow! Their plastic bike box runs $249 (that isn't the wow part). Shipping on the plastic bike box (which only weighs a 22 lbs) to Hawaii is $228.90.
Wut? They are that expensive now? Haven't looked at their web site in a while.
Old 05-23-16, 01:14 AM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wut? They are that expensive now? Haven't looked at their web site in a while.
Yeah definitely not cheap. Shipping anything to Hawaii though is expensive. One of the reasons I cannot wait to get to Texas in about 7 weeks.
Old 05-23-16, 01:41 AM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had "The Bike Shop" ship mine when I left Honolulu and cost about $200/per bike to ship FedEx...and the shipping is insured as well...Shipped 3 bikes and one came with me on the plane...
Old 05-23-16, 08:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I sold a bike on eBay to a guy in Hawaii a couple years ago. Shipping to/from Hawaii is super expensive. I was able to get the cost down to about $135 by shipping USPS. It was cheaper than BikeFlights. BUT, I had to get the box to fit USPS max dimensions.

Basically, I had to cut a bike box to make it shorter than normal length. I used a hot glue gun and lots of tape to reassemble the box. I also made sure to wrap every tube on the frame in bubble wrap and cardboard. I cut up other boxes to put another layer of cardboard inside the bike box - meaning it was double layered to limit the chances of something popping through. I wrapped up all the derailleurs and other sensitive parts in lots of bubble wrap. You also can use pipe insulation on the frame tubes. Whatever you do, go overboard in protecting the bike. Don't assume that it is save inside the box.
Old 05-23-16, 06:09 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Did you look into having it shipped as unaccompanied baggage?

scott s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.