Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How was your bike stolen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 10:23 AM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

For those of you who have had a bike stolen, I am curious as to the circumstances.

I really stress out at the thought of having my not yet month old bike stolen.

At home, in the garage, my bike is behind locked doors, with multiple motion alarms, motion detection LED exterior lights, burglar bars on the windows, highly reinforced door frame, steel entry door, upgraded door locks and deadbolts, and two cameras (one interior and one exterior).

When I'm out riding, I only let the bike out of my sight to use MUP facility restrooms. But I don't lock it then as I don't yet have a lock.

Also, the MUP that I use is in a decent area, and I've yet to see even one person lock their bike at the bathrooms (although more than half have riding partners, so for them locks are moot). I ride alone, no partner.

So I am wondering, has anyone here had a bike stolen while taking a quick leak?

Under what circumstances was your bike stolen? In a public place, at a store, at work, at home maybe out of your garage, off a porch, or other?

Was your stolen bike recovered?

Last, I plan to buy a lock. I'd appreciate suggestions for a good, light weight bike lock for use on rides. I'd prefer a good bang for the buck lock. Preferably under $50. Are the midrange Kryptonite u-locks good enough? Has anyone here actually collected on their theft guarantee?
Old 07-09-17, 10:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I suppose I've had two bikes stolen. One as a teenager from school. The bike was locked in front of the school during the day, but I lost my keys the same day and presumably dropped them near the bike.

I was reimbursed by my parent's homeowner's insurance for that bike (minus deductible). Serial number was recorded, reported, and it was eventually recovered a couple of years later, mostly stripped and rebuilt with cheaper parts. By that time I had already replaced the bike, and we left it for the insurance company.

The second one was a cheap used MTB that was parked in my back yard, but visible from the street. A junker showed up on my front walkway the same day

For stopping at a restroom, if the restroom is big enough for your bike,take it inside with you. If it is a plastic box, lean the bike up against the building, and hopefully you could hear if someone moves it.

Locks depend on how you're using the bike, and how and where it is being locked. Also, what the bike is. In many places, just about anything might work for 2 minutes inside a restroom including simple wheel locks.

I have been mostly using a Kryptonite NY lock lately as my bikes could potentially be a target.
Old 07-09-17, 10:53 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only two bikes stolen.

1- someone cut the bolts holding the rack to the sidewalk and stole the entire rack and whatever was on it.

2- chained bike to tree, someone cut the tree down.

Fortunately both were kinda low end hardtails.
Likes For manapua_man:
Old 07-09-17, 11:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
At home, in the garage, my bike is behind locked doors, with multiple motion alarms, motion detection LED exterior lights, burglar bars on the windows, highly reinforced door frame, steel entry door, upgraded door locks and deadbolts, and two cameras (one interior and one exterior). ..
I'd also lock the bike itself to something. seriously. A neighbor here walked into his house to get something, came back out and his pride and joy was gone, never recovered. Nobody is perfect.

For your question, I had a Huffy mtb stolen from behind my apartment. I'd left it leaned up against a tree behind my apartment hoping someone would take it - disgusted with keeping it ride-able. It took two weeks to finally disappear.
Old 07-09-17, 11:58 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My was stolen mid day after they opened a fence gate and entered the garage thru a closed but unlocked service door. It happened right after a ride, someone was watching.
Old 07-09-17, 01:19 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
For those of you who have had a bike stolen, I am curious as to the circumstances.

I really stress out at the thought of having my not yet month old bike stolen.

At home, in the garage, my bike is behind locked doors, with multiple motion alarms, motion detection LED exterior lights, burglar bars on the windows, highly reinforced door frame, steel entry door, upgraded door locks and deadbolts, and two cameras (one interior and one exterior).

When I'm out riding, I only let the bike out of my sight to use MUP facility restrooms. But I don't lock it then as I don't yet have a lock.

Also, the MUP that I use is in a decent area, and I've yet to see even one person lock their bike at the bathrooms (although more than half have riding partners, so for them locks are moot). I ride alone, no partner.

So I am wondering, has anyone here had a bike stolen while taking a quick leak?

Under what circumstances was your bike stolen? In a public place, at a store, at work, at home maybe out of your garage, off a porch, or other?

Was your stolen bike recovered?

Last, I plan to buy a lock. I'd appreciate suggestions for a good, light weight bike lock for use on rides. I'd prefer a good bang for the buck lock. Preferably under $50. Are the midrange Kryptonite u-locks good enough? Has anyone here actually collected on their theft guarantee?
Funny how you made it out of your lbs with a brand new bike and no lock what so ever,,, I say better hurry up and buy one before you don't need it,,,,,
Old 07-09-17, 01:29 PM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I had one stolen from a locked garage. Perp must have watched me roll into the garage. I now lock all the bikes in every occasion. Inside or out. Never let it out of my sight. I make sure that people are not watching when the bike is in a comprised security situation. Situational awareness is important.
Old 07-09-17, 01:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
My partner and I accidentally left our door unlocked a week before Christmas. Someone came around checking doors later that night while were awake in bed watching the news. He took my customer Robert Beckman racks and the Surly LHT they were attached to.
Old 07-09-17, 01:50 PM
lemongrass

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Luckily I've only had two bikes stolen and they were two of the worst I've ever owned....a completely destroyed Raleigh MTB from 2009 and rusted out vintage department store mixte with everything wrong with it. The Raleigh was cut off a rack surprisingly and the other one was stolen from inside my apartment during a party in college...guy who stole it must reallllly needed to get somewhere.

I keep my nice bikes under a super watchful eye and never lock them up outside (bring them into stores with me when I can). So far so good (and I'm not hosting any more drunken parties).
Old 07-09-17, 04:28 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I always bring the bike into the bathroom with me...whether its a porta potty, gas station, or even a Rec center bathroom.
But I don't have a lock and never leave my bike out of sight, rarely out of reach even.

Haven't had a bike stolen myself, but my brother has numerous times. They always broke into the house.
Old 07-09-17, 05:05 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Only one of mine was stolen - my first '74 Fuji Special Tourer barely three months old. Locked to the bike rack at the High School. I came out to find the remains of the lock/chain on the ground, bolt cutter marks on the chain. Police report filed. Never recovered. Parents' homeowner's insurance covered it. Replaced with the exact same make/model/color.
Old 07-09-17, 06:17 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
My son's bike was stolen off a bike rack on a college campus during daytime classes. The lock and chain were taken as well, so no clue how it was cut/jimmied/broken. He found it several weeks later on the same campus locked to a light pole. Campus police cut it free, held it several days (the new "owner" never complained to the cops) and returned it to my son.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 07-09-17, 09:41 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Only one I ever had stolen was my first 10 speed, an "Orly" Tour de France. Stolen from my high school back in '71. It was only 3 months old. Mom and Dad's home owners covered it.
Jon
Old 07-09-17, 11:49 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a vintage Japanese $150 bike from Craigslist and stop worrying.
Many thieves steal expensive parts even if you lock your bike.

Some parts that are less attractive to thieves:
* 27" wheels
* mixte frames
* 1" quill stems
* small-speed drivetrains especially non-indexed
Likes For Barabaika:
Old 07-10-17, 04:31 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I left it unsecured outside a coffee shop for 3 hours late at night and came back to find it gone, Thank God! With the insurance payout I got to buy a much better one
Old 07-10-17, 09:05 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Oct 2010 - My Raleigh Mtn bike was stolen while I was taking night classes at the local community college. Locked at the bike rack with a cheap cable lock. No problems from Aug until that night in Oct.

College security told me I should use a U-lock. They said so far nobody had stolen a bike with a U-lock. The security guard pulled up the video. The bike was there until sundown. Their cameras couldn't see much after that. Needless to say I got a U-lock & Cable lock with my next bike and had no problems the rest of the school year.

Feb 2014 - My Trek Hybrid was stolen while I was inside a convenience store. I was inside for less than 2 min. I had U-lock but had been getting lazy. I locked the bike to a lamp post with just the cable lock. Security footage? Hah!

A couple of months later I saw the bike on CL. With the help of the local police the bike was recovered. In the meantime I had bought a Trek 3700 Mtn bike.

Dec 2016 - The 3700 was stolen outside of McDs while eating breakfast. This McDs didn't have a good place to lock up so I locked it up to a lamp post in the parking lot in view of the dining room. The U-lock wouldn't fit around the post so the cable lock attached the bike to the post. The U-lock locked the rear wheel to the frame. I like to read a breakfast so I wasn't paying enuff attention. Occasionally I would look up and see the bike. But when I left it was gone. The thief took the U-lock & bike. I've given up looking for the 3700. For more info about this theft see these threads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...olen-bike.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/southwest/...-mtn-bike.html
Old 07-10-17, 09:35 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Fortunately I've never had a bike stolen. When we moved to our current house it didn't have a garage (not that uncommon in the UK) and I had more bikes than I could easily store in a shed. So I built a big storage box in front of the house and installed a heavy duty ground anchor so that not only were the bikes out of sight but also securely locked to something solid. The box is built from floorboard grade pine so it wouldn't be that hard to break into, but so far nobody has tried.
Old 07-10-17, 09:40 AM
crankythunder

Location: burrokratic republik of Michigan, cubicle LVW-2a20c

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek Y-33, Rans LWB recumbent, Vision SWB Recumbent, Fuji MTB, Schwinn Beach Cruiser with two stroke

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a bottechia stolen

bout 20 years ago,

My apartment had storage cages that were community access while each one was individually locked. I had it chained around the steel overhead floor joists with a heavy 3/4 inch tow chain and a monster padlock.

Thief busted the door of the storage cage, and cut through two joists in the rafters to steel bike and chain.

While I was out a good sum for the bike and chain, the apartment complex had to spend thousands for building repair.
Apartment came after me for the damages but dropped their claim after I hired an attorney. Police thought that it must have been a fellow renter within the building but never did find the thief. small pool of potential suspects but I do not think that they put much effort in it.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 07-10-17, 11:10 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
2 bikes stolen.
First one, about 40yrs ago, I lived in a small apartment, 2nd floor, no elevator. I used to leave my bike unlocked in the corridor just outside my door. One morning the bike wasn't there. There had been a party next door that night, I suspect some drunk took it to get back home. Never recovered.
2nd one, about 30yrs ago, I "forgot" my bike at the street overnight, locked to a post with a flimsy cable. Wasn't there next morning, never recovered. This was a fairly good bike.
A 3rd bike was technically stolen some years ago, but I found it later abandoned a few blocks away. It was an ugly beater bike.
Old 07-10-17, 11:27 AM
LabRat55
LabRat

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 and Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a bike stolen right out from under me when I was in 7th grade. Rode it to school and back in nice weather and had to pass a junior high school. One of the JH thugs stopped me one day and took my bike! That was a life lesson and the reason I am now very careful everywhere I go. I might be borderline paranoid but I always size people up and always have an escape route planned in public. I also have a pistol unless I'm in a restricted zone. Never had to fire it and only drew it once.
Likes For LabRat55:
Old 07-10-17, 02:53 PM
ce111917

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a $50 Craigslist MTB stolen from the rack at the nearby light rail transit center. I left it chained up overnight for some reason and in the morning there was nothing but the broken chain left lying on the ground. Granted, I'd used that bike instead of a decent one that day because I didn't have much faith that it'd still be there in the morning - but I was heartily impressed by the efficiency with which it disappeared.
Old 07-10-17, 10:27 PM
Kip

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my venerable 2002 Trek 520 stolen from work in December 2009. It was unlocked and parked in the hallway about 20 paces from my desk. Someone grabbed it an ran out the back door with it. In retrospect, parking it by the back door was not wise. After a couple of weeks of fruitless searching for it, I contacted my insurance company and they paid for two-thirds of the cost of replacing it with a 2009 520.
Three months later I was riding home on my new bike and saw a young man riding my old bike. I stopped him and knew he was not the thief as we had a description of the man who had taken my bike. The rider said he got it "from a friend" and was on his way to his job as a dishwasher at Sizzler. I made the case that it was my bike. I had the receipt with the serial number and had reported the theft to the police. He surrendered it to me. I did contact my insurance company and reported the recovery of the stolen bike. I paid them $200 for it and kept the newer 520 as well. I keep one at our vacation home and have put quite a few miles on each of them since 2010.
Old 07-10-17, 10:36 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Back in 1969 when I was 11 years old I had a blue 2-speed Schwinn Stingray with chrome fenders, the fancy banana seat and slicks. Man was it cool!

My younger sister's bike was too small for her and she asked if she could ride my baby to the library. I VERY reluctantly had to say yes because it was in front of my mom and dad.

I told her she HAD to lock the bike to the bike rack.

She didn't lock the bike to the bike rack...

-

Last edited by drlogik; 07-10-17 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 08:15 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I had modified my first bike to be just what I wanted. It was a light stingray style with a small chainring so I could spin it up faster than my friends off the line - then I was the leader on narrow trails. I carelessly left it in the front yard in a "safe" neighborhood. Never saw it again, but guessed it was at the bottom of "Lighthouse Lake." I'd heard that they had drained the lake at one time and dozens of bike carcasses were removed. I have since seen what happens to a bicycle left in a creek. They dissolve pretty fast!

Second theft was from the same house. Replacement stingray (used) was behind a gate in the side yard. Search found someone had thrown it in a nearby creek where it landed on concrete - tacoing the rear wheel. Recovered that one and replaced the wheel. Rode it until I outgrew it.
Old 07-11-17, 12:43 PM
NO CARRIER

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great thread! I had my first mountain bike stolen as a kid, I always used my U-Lock in public. But at home I'd leave the bike behind my parent's house where it couldn't be seen from the street. Came out one evening and it was gone. They took the U-Lock too which wasn't even on the bike. I still have the keys. Never to be seen again.

From the thread it sounds like most stolen bikes were either using cable locks or it was unlocked in a 'secure' place, like our garage. Except for Crankythunder, that's just a impressive. I was thinking of using a tow chain and padlock for my bike too. A DIY lock.

+++ath0
NO CARRIER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.