Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roval Control SL SCS wheels on a regular (non-SCS) road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 08:40 PM
borgey007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't understand "SCS" by Specialized.

Can I use SCS wheels (eg., Roval Control SL SCS wheels) on a regular. non-SCS, road bike (eg., 2018 Diverge carbon frame)?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-17, 11:54 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
No
Old 09-16-17, 04:06 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Geno said no and I believe the answer is a bit more nuanced if you 'really want to make them fit'.
Many things are achievable...just a matter of how much effort you want to extend and what are the tradeoffs.

You 'may' be able to adapt the SCS wheelset to your '18 non SCS Diverge. 135 standard disk dropout spacing is the same...but the freehub and/or wheel dish maybe a bit different...which you 'may' be able to work around. Question is...what will be the tradeoffs. For example you may be able to install a SCS rear derailleur hanger on your bike....or tweak cassette spacing...or slightly change the dish of the wheel.

All said, the much easier approach is to sell your SCS wheels on ebay and buy a much more ubiquitous non SCS wheelset...ubiquity being the cornerstone of why Specialized gratefully moved away from SCS which was a PITA to many and likely compromised sales more than promoted sales based upon any tangible benefit...aka an alleged quieter driveline when cross chaining...more theoretical than substantive.

Many now have learned how to mount a non SCS wheelset on a SCS bike and I presume with effort the opposite could be achieved. I would simply 'upgrade' to a non SCS wheelset in your shoes.

Spacing explained below:
Attached Images

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-16-17 at 04:10 AM.
Likes For Campag4life:
Old 09-16-17, 03:14 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I think you could do it with a SCS hanger. Specialized sells both, or used to. My two frames (CruX and Tarmac) actually came with SCS wheels but were not SCS spaced since the QR frames were regular frames and just used a SCS hanger and SCS wheels. In both cases, I swapped the hanger to a regular Specialized hanger and used regular disc wheels (both a disc QR frames).
Old 09-17-17, 10:16 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
FWIW the 2018 Diverge comp carbon rear wheel is 12x142mm not 135mm.

Last edited by Jazzguitar; 09-17-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 01:12 AM
borgey007

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone's answers much appreciated!
Old 01-23-18, 10:18 PM
divide_by_0

Bikes: '14 Specialized Tarmac SWx SL4 '17 Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this same issue... didn't know anything about SCS and scored a deal on some Roval Rapide CL40's (SCS) for my '17 Tarmac Disc (non-SCS). I actually have it shifting pretty good with the standard derailleur hangar, but will call the LBS tomorrow and see if they have the hangar in stock and change it out... I will post up any new info.

Last edited by divide_by_0; 01-23-18 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarify scs and non-scs parts
Old 01-23-18, 11:07 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
related note: is my 2014 SWorks Crux w/ QR Skewers a SCS or NON SCS frame?

It has 135mm QR dropouts.
Old 01-24-18, 08:12 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
The real difference between SCS spec and STD MTB spec is shown in the photo posted above.

SCS sticks to the CORRECT chainline for road groups using 135mm spacing vs using an MTB hub.

For anyone with non SCS road disc bikes having loud drivetrains or shifting issues, look here.

Old 01-24-18, 10:13 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
related note: is my 2014 SWorks Crux w/ QR Skewers a SCS or NON SCS frame?

It has 135mm QR dropouts.
Non-SCS.
Old 01-26-18, 10:22 PM
divide_by_0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok... the bike shop tried to adjust the rear derailleur and said they got close, but not quite there... they changed out the derailleur hanger for the SCS hangar (has a 2.5 mm offset to re-align the hangar with the SCS hub)... lined up nicely. It’s a little discomforting to know that my drivetrain won’t quite fit an off-the-shelf replacement (should I frag a wheel), but as long as I don’t need to change wheels, I am good! The Roval wheels look great on the bike, too!
Old 01-27-18, 01:20 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by divide_by_0
Ok... the bike shop tried to adjust the rear derailleur and said they got close, but not quite there... they changed out the derailleur hanger for the SCS hangar (has a 2.5 mm offset to re-align the hangar with the SCS hub)... lined up nicely. It’s a little discomforting to know that my drivetrain won’t quite fit an off-the-shelf replacement (should I frag a wheel), but as long as I don’t need to change wheels, I am good! The Roval wheels look great on the bike, too!
Carry a spare hangar?
Old 01-30-18, 08:56 PM
divide_by_0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Carry a spare hangar?

heh... or lose my obsession with spare wheels... this bike is mainly for training, so I am not as worried about fragging a wheel and not finishing a race... just ends the training day.
Old 01-30-18, 08:57 PM
divide_by_0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So... I am about 100 miles and 5000 feet into the new derailleur hangar and SCS wheelset... shifting PERFECT... bike is riding flawlessly! IF Specialized makes an SCS hangar for your bike, this seems like an easy (and pretty cheap) way to use SCS wheels.
Old 01-30-18, 08:59 PM
divide_by_0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-01-21, 09:59 PM
BikesNBrews

Bikes: 1986 Trek 2500 Composite with Campy Aero Record Gen 1, 2016 Specialized RockHopper Pro, 2016 S-Works Crux, 1989 Eddy Merckx SLX 7-Eleven Corsa Extra Team Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help with Roval Control SL 29 SCS Rear Wheel

Hi folks. I am new here to the Bike Forums and just getting back into riding again. I purchased a slightly used 2016 S-Works Crux from a person that listed it on Craigslist. I ended up receiving the bike disassembled with lots of extra parts, but the rear wheel is missing the freehub side end cap. After a couple days of research on the web, I realized I may have made a mistake in buying the bike mainly because of the SCS 135mm spacing in the rear.

Having read through tons of articles on SCS, converting to non-SCS with a derailleur hanger swap, I realized I need to buy some spare parts to keep on hand incase I need to build another wheelset in the future. My question to you experts in this community, that have experience in dealing with the SCS anomaly from Specialized, I am trying to find a replacement end cap for my Roval SCS wheel. I called Roval / Specialized support and they provided me with a part number of HWYABX00S1239S which is a DT Swiss Freehub 135x12 with a QR end cap. Since my wheelset from Roval has 12mm TA, I am having no luck in finding an end cap that works. I also searched through eBay with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-21, 10:14 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
If it is a QR (Quick Release) bike your frae spacing is not SCS. The hanger is weird to accommodate the wheel. you can use a regular hanger and a regular spaced wheel. In your case, I assume this is a TA frame...is it? Sadly, I tossed the original wheelset since I figured nobody would be able to use it. On my 2015, I just swapped the hanger and built a regular wheelset. Mine was a QR frame though. Those were never SCS spaced...just the weird hanger and wheels.
Old 09-02-21, 01:21 AM
BikesNBrews

Bikes: 1986 Trek 2500 Composite with Campy Aero Record Gen 1, 2016 Specialized RockHopper Pro, 2016 S-Works Crux, 1989 Eddy Merckx SLX 7-Eleven Corsa Extra Team Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chandne,

Thanks for your follow-up on my post about the missing end cap issue I am having with the Roval Control SL 29 SCS rear wheel. My frame is TA and is spaced at 135mm with the original SCS derailleur hanger. I found a conversion kit last night from DT Swiss that has the 135mm and 150mm end caps for TA, but I don't think either will help my issue. There is about a 2.5mm offset with the rear wheelset on the freehub side (flanges spaced closer together than normal 135mm hubs), whereby, the TA requires a longer end cap to avoid the chain from rubbing against the frame.

A local bike mechanic friend of mine suggested getting the conversion end cap 135mm x 12mm and adding some spacers, but I don't want to go that route. I think my only option at this point is to ditch the Roval SCS wheelset that came with the bike and go with regular 135mm hubs with a non-SCS derailleur hanger. Not what I wanted to do, but I think it is the only option I have at this time on 5 year old CX bike where parts are non-existent. Unless someone has a crashed or damaged rear SCS wheel for parts, I may be in luck.