Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Excellent cold/wet gloves

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-19-20, 11:21 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Just got some of these on a recommendation from a friend who commutes daily on his bike

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/dry-sk...oves.html#163=

I love em. Meant for camping and ice fishing but work well for biking. Only downside is can’t use a touchscreen with them
Old 12-20-20, 06:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Usually when it is cold and my gloves get wet, it isn't excellent.

More seriously, I have wet-suit gloves (and socks) for extreme cold rain, but I find they don't block the wind, so the layer of water trapped against my skin which is supposed to get warm and insulate me, instead chills to near-freezing.

Better than bare hands, maybe because of slightly more blood flow there than in my feet .... pretty useless for my feet. I still haven't found the "right" gear for near-freezing rain.
Old 12-20-20, 11:14 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Usually when it is cold and my gloves get wet, it isn't excellent.

More seriously, I have wet-suit gloves (and socks) for extreme cold rain, but I find they don't block the wind, so the layer of water trapped against my skin which is supposed to get warm and insulate me, instead chills to near-freezing.

Better than bare hands, maybe because of slightly more blood flow there than in my feet .... pretty useless for my feet. I still haven't found the "right" gear for near-freezing rain.
These are the best gloves I've used so far in cold rain:
https://www.amazon.com/Giro-100-Proo...dp/B07DTLNK4F/
I have some thick-ish wet suit gloves, but haven't tried them yet.

Not that there are any gloves that will make you "comfortable" in near freezing rain. These make it bearable, at least for me. We rode 75 miles in a steady 36° hard downpour, the whole way. One rest stop, where we talked a fellow rider into making the call of shame. We've both agreed that we will never do a ride like that again, though. For the feet, the only thing that works are Lake or North Wave MTB boots with dry suit leg seals over the tops of them. Our feet were warm and dry on that ride. I had Lakes and my wife had North Waves.

On our tops we had a LS Cratt base layer, a very heavy poly jersey, and a Voler Black Label wind jacket. For some reason, no one makes heavy jerseys like that any more and I can't suggest an alternative. Legs had heavy tights, also not made anymore, but PI AmFIB tights are probably closest, no pad, shorts under. We never wear anything waterproof on our tops. With waterproof, there's no good way to regulate temperature by evaporation. I can't make it 5 miles in anything waterproof before overheating, even the "breathable" stuff. An engine has to be either water cooled or air cooled. Same with riders if they want to produce any power. The trick is to get a wind jacket that admits just the right amount of water.
Old 12-20-20, 11:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I have tried breadloaf bags on my feet---too hot---and I tried riding in kayaking gear---too hot, but when the alternative is way too cold .... I'd guess that heavy wool and a wind-breaker might work ... I have done wool in rain when it wasn't that cold and did alright .... miserable but not in danger.

Those gloves are pricey---but if I lived i where the climate was continuously that cold and wet, they would be a bargain.
Old 12-21-20, 03:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I just got some Under Armour Storm Gloves for $14 at Ross or Marshall's a month ago, so I've had a chance to do some rides in temps down into the 30s. So far, so good, can't find anything serious to complain about for the price and intended weather range.

The web of my thumb is very slightly pinched, but that's common with most gloves -- my thumbs are long and out of proportion to my hands. These are softshell gloves and stretch a bit so it's not a serious problem. I can't wear some hardshell gloves unless I buy a size up to accommodate my monkey thumbs. I got the Under Armor gloves in XL, although my hands are only medium width, but "large" in finger length. There's a little room for a thin glove liner if need be.

They can be used with a touch screen, although I still usually remove one glove to poke the phone. The gloves are a bit thick for phone use, other than emergencies, and I can't use the fingerprint sensor to unlock, or tap the keypad to enter my PIN.
Old 12-21-20, 04:45 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
These are the best gloves I've used so far in cold rain:
https://www.amazon.com/Giro-100-Proo...dp/B07DTLNK4F/
I have some thick-ish wet suit gloves, but haven't tried them yet.

Not that there are any gloves that will make you "comfortable" in near freezing rain. These make it bearable, at least for me. We rode 75 miles in a steady 36° hard downpour, the whole way. One rest stop, where we talked a fellow rider into making the call of shame. We've both agreed that we will never do a ride like that again, though. For the feet, the only thing that works are Lake or North Wave MTB boots with dry suit leg seals over the tops of them. Our feet were warm and dry on that ride. I had Lakes and my wife had North Waves.

On our tops we had a LS Cratt base layer, a very heavy poly jersey, and a Voler Black Label wind jacket. For some reason, no one makes heavy jerseys like that any more and I can't suggest an alternative. Legs had heavy tights, also not made anymore, but PI AmFIB tights are probably closest, no pad, shorts under. We never wear anything waterproof on our tops. With waterproof, there's no good way to regulate temperature by evaporation. I can't make it 5 miles in anything waterproof before overheating, even the "breathable" stuff. An engine has to be either water cooled or air cooled. Same with riders if they want to produce any power. The trick is to get a wind jacket that admits just the right amount of water.
Sounds like fun! You STARTED this ride @ 36 degrees and rain?!
Old 12-21-20, 11:50 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Sounds like fun! You STARTED this ride @ 36 degrees and rain?!
Yes. That's randonneuring training in the PNW, what one sort of has to do. All of the riders in our local randonneuring club finished PBP the year they had all that steady rain. We've ridden in worse but had to bail when our rims got covered with ice and hard braking didn't generate enough heat to melt it. We drug our feet. I had to scratch the ice off my glasses with my fingernails. Yeah, we bailed about a mile from our house. A few riders did finish, but as single speed bikes. Their cassettes were balls of ice. Probably had disc brakes.

After that 75 mile rain ride, my wife made me vow to never start another ride in the rain when it was below 40°. It was a deal.