Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

a $170,000 bicycle? really?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

a $170,000 bicycle? really?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 12:15 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
ugh..... IA FReD DICS is so ugly.... help.... must point .... browser back to Classic & Vintage ......... help....... me.......

i got fairings like like Blue Oyster Cult got cow bell!!
Old 05-14-21, 01:13 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
OP clearly hasn't gotten his Eurobike and tried riding it uphill yet, which is why he's throwing down insults about people with the ability to climb that are far above what his limited imagination and belief in his own fitness makes him think would be the difference.

Exhibit A:
Exhibit B:
​​​​
Likes For surak:
Old 05-14-21, 04:40 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I think if I was looking for a new activity I would try to find one that agreed with me. OP doesn't seem to like anything he's learned about cycling in his brief exposure. Hopefully that will change when he has the opportunity to actually ride a bike.
Old 05-14-21, 05:30 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I love how the ad copy goes on at length about how this disc version doesn't suffer all the alleged hassles of rim brakes, lol. Talks about how swapping wheels is a breeze with discs, hah.

Somehow, I'd say if someone's looking at dropping 17k on this thing, they're not umming and ahhing over rim vs disc, and you're probably better off not reminding them how road disc still has a few wrinkles to iron out...
Old 05-14-21, 05:56 PM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
If only it came in celeste.
Old 05-14-21, 05:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
I'd rather buy 340 Eurobikes ...

The local Eurobike Rep is back in the office it seems.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-14-21, 08:37 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr

Oh man, gotta get me 340 of those.

Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-14-21, 09:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr

it’s good you quoted the OP post. There is a tendency for them to get deleted and/or modified. Whatever it takes for this charade to continue.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-14-21, 10:15 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
it’s good you quoted the OP post. There is a tendency for them to get deleted and/or modified. Whatever it takes for this charade to continue.
Yep, I've noticed that. Maybe Eurobike has a policy against employees pimping their products on public forums.

Old 05-15-21, 12:13 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
OP clearly hasn't gotten his Eurobike and tried riding it uphill yet, which is why he's throwing down insults about people with the ability to climb that are far above what his limited imagination and belief in his own fitness makes him think would be the difference.
​​​​
I think he's throwing insults around for the lolz. And maybe because we didn't all give our carbon bikes up.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-15-21, 12:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
For $170,000, I'd rather buy 340 Eurobikes, I could ride a new one almost each day of the year.
​​​​​​How about 110 Eurobikes and 110 people to ride them for you?
Old 05-15-21, 10:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
For those curious on ridiculous bike prices like this because maybe they thought this was a real post from a member, the idea is to make it legal in UCI competition (and maybe elsewhere) you have to sell it to the public but nobody at these companies really wants to build these as they take time and effort and just are silly so why not put it at a ridiculous price so it is legal but nobody is actually going to buy it. Hope, Felt and someone else (and maybe more) have done it for their track bikes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-15-21, 11:39 AM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
To multimillionaires, $170,000 is not much. The hard pard is prodding them to choose to drop it on a bicycle over a cigar humidor or motorcycle.
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 05-15-21, 08:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
How about the champion who is most effective at starting threads with a ridiculous premise and getting people to buy in?
You found it tempting enough to buy.
Old 05-15-21, 08:13 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
You found it tempting enough to buy.
Like smelling the Milk a second time after I know its gone bad, I cant help myself! That said I cant understand how people take these obviously troll posts seriously and either try to help this he/she/they out, then begin arguing amongst each other?

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 05-15-21 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-15-21, 09:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
For those curious on ridiculous bike prices like this because maybe they thought this was a real post from a member, the idea is to make it legal in UCI competition (and maybe elsewhere) you have to sell it to the public but nobody at these companies really wants to build these as they take time and effort and just are silly so why not put it at a ridiculous price so it is legal but nobody is actually going to buy it. Hope, Felt and someone else (and maybe more) have done it for their track bikes.
Like homologation in auto racing? IIRC, car makers were required to actually build a certain number of each model, so they wouldn't have to call them prototypes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-16-21, 12:03 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Fortunately my credit card can't take a $170,000 hit or otherwise I might have been tempted.
Same here. Sigh. I got to work harder and spent less time tinkering with my bike.

That bike looks uncomfortable, but if I buy it (using two credit cards), my wife will no longer own purses that cost more than my bike.
Old 05-16-21, 07:59 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
It's a typo. Should be $17k.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 05-16-21, 08:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
It's a typo. Should be $17k.
Oh, and here I thought $17M. Now its totally not worth it.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-16-21, 08:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Like homologation in auto racing? IIRC, car makers were required to actually build a certain number of each model, so they wouldn't have to call them prototypes.
Basically, the idea is to keep it somewhat fair-ish I guess, at least something like that.
Old 05-17-21, 10:47 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Hell yeah! the champion is the one who trains harder, wants it more, and is more genetically gifted. not the one who has lighter expensive wrestling shoes or better gloves. there is a reason the bars show UFC, not Tour De France. Next time I'll throw a joke at my friends "hey, instead of the fights, let's go watch skinny guys in tights ride bicycles"
Read the marque.

BTW, I went to a boxing match in the 1984 Olympics in LA. One of the matches had a guy who clearly didn't have the coaching. Aggressive, dedicated (you have to be to get where he was), a great athlete, but from a country that could not afford the resources needed to coach boxing at that level. As I recall, Pernell Whitaker ate him for lunch.

That year, the US took gold in nine out of twelve weight classes and took a medal in two of the three where the US team didn't win gold. So, were the boxers from the US "the one who trains harder, wants it more, and is more genetically gifted", or did they have access to facilities and coaches who were out of reach of other teams?

There is no endeavor in sport where money doesn't help.
Old 05-17-21, 11:37 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Hopefully that will change when he has the opportunity to actually ride a bike.
Unlikely on Eurobike. Hopefully, thereafter.
Old 05-17-21, 12:22 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
*shrug*

All of my hobbies have insanely expensive things to spend money on, and I exist in the low end of them all.

My turntable? I've got a few hundred $$s all in on a vintage turntable I restored. It works great and I've very happy with it. Yet, there are turntables that cost in excess of half a million dollars.
My cartridge? Measured in the hundreds of $$s. You can spend around $12k on one if you choose.
My speakers? Again, measured in the hundreds of $$. But those with the means can still spend $5-million if they wanted a pair of solid gold speakers.

There will always be items that are beyond the reach of all but the 0.0000001%. The law of diminishing returns will have kicked in long before the price hits the maximum and we're left with gear that's eminently usable.