Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Braze on Center Pull Brake Question

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 08-04-21, 06:10 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

I was wondering if an older Weinmann CP brakes can be converted to braze on 's?
Starting to think about a frame for my wife!
Thanks!
Old 08-04-21, 06:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Sure. The only thing to worry about is clocking the hole for the spring properly and the spacing. The Dia compe bosses used to be available, maybe they still are. Or modify a canti boss.
Old 08-04-21, 07:19 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I expect they can, but why? Why go to the trouble of speccing a frame to go with a set of obsolete brakes with function inferior to modern parts?. A set of Tektro dual-pivot long-reach brakes will stop much better and more consistently, and will work with any frame and fork with a centre drilled brake arch or crown. If you wish to go with frame-pivot-mounted brakes, Vs or mini Vs are far better stoppers than old DCs and are compatible with modern brake bosses. I don't think there are commonly used brake bosses that will work with DC centre-pulls - the location is completely different than for canti/V brakes, and I am pretty surer modern aero-style integrated brake pivots won't fit either.

Or, if you are replacing more than just the frame, modern hydraulic disc brakes beat the tar out of any rim brakes, especially in the wet.
Old 08-04-21, 07:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Clyde, you seem to have wandered into the framebuilding forum not noticing it's about making things. He's proposing to put the bosses where they need to be to work with these brakes. I probably would use Mafacs, but I have thought about using Wienmanns.

One good reason to go with centerpulls is if you want to use the pivots to mount a rack. I really don't think that tektro dual pivot have significantly better braking than an old centerpull. And the hardware will rust before your eyes

The Rene Herse site says you have to find special springs for Diacompe/weinmann. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...erpull-pivots/ I'm not sure what the issue is
I forget where you can get the Dia Compe pivots. I thought Rene Herse used to sell them. Probably Grand Bois or one of the other Japanese shops. I think they come with the springs

There are places where you can buy the springs. Rene Herse used to sell the whole thing https://www.renehersecycles.com/pivo...erpull-brakes/

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-04-21 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-04-21, 07:42 AM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have brazed bosses for Weinmann CP brakes. Actually I don't remember the exact type, but I chose them because the boss spacing was wider than Mafac and fit the seatstays better. I used modded canti bosses. However something wasn't right with the brakes (don't remember the specifics, sorry), so when the frame was repainted I replaced the bosses for a Mafac CP brake.

Edit. René Herse BITD made bikes with brazed-on Weinmann brake. Check here.

Edit 2: now I remember what happened, I had messed up the boss spacing. It was too wide for the Mafac so I tested the Weinmann, but it was too narrow for those.

Last edited by tuz; 08-05-21 at 07:18 PM.
Likes For tuz:
Old 08-04-21, 05:10 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
I have made posts for some old Grand Compe center pulls that are super light and sleek and have cartridge bearings in the pivots. Making the pivots was a bit of work without an existing pivot to measure - someone with CAD skills would be able to knock it out in an afternoon, I'm sure. Then you still have to deal with the spring attachment. I received a couple dozen random posts as part of a 'donation' from someone a while back but nothing that looks close. Otherwise, I would recommend posting in the google group that you're looking for the posts and see what turns up.

EDIT: DIA-COMPE GC610/GC700/DC750 Center Pull Pivot for Rear 2010004005114 | eBay
this seller seemed to have the spring kit as well.

WP_20150725_001 by Duane Draper, on Flickr

Last edited by duanedr; 08-04-21 at 05:36 PM.
Likes For duanedr:
Old 08-05-21, 07:57 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
unterhausen You are correct - I was searching by 'new' and did not realize this was the framebuilding sub.

However, my point remains the same - if building a bike from any state of disassembly or un-construction, Weinmann centre pulls should be far from anyone's first choice. Modern Vs or mini Vs, installing posts for which would require the exact same amount of effort and ingenuity as old Weinmanns, will stop the bike much better and consistently and with less effort.
Old 08-05-21, 09:51 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
unterhausen You are correct - I was searching by 'new' and did not realize this was the framebuilding sub.

However, my point remains the same - if building a bike from any state of disassembly or un-construction, Weinmann centre pulls should be far from anyone's first choice. Modern Vs or mini Vs, installing posts for which would require the exact same amount of effort and ingenuity as old Weinmanns, will stop the bike much better and consistently and with less effort.
Using them to mount a rando rack looks quite cool though. I'm thinking of making one of these:

https://swoodcycles.bigcartel.com/pr...twisted-t-rack

(Apologies to S. Wood for nicking his design)
Old 08-05-21, 05:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have my doubts about that S. Wood design holding up for a long time. I put rando front racks on all of my bikes. Even my gravel bike has one.

I have never used a brazed on Weinmann/Dia Compe, but a de-squealed Mafac stops really well. I'm not sure how much better braking you need.

In general, I would advise people to get discs, but I'm still building myself rim brake frames and I see nothing wrong with it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-05-21, 07:15 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
ClydeClydeson V-brakes are fine (although the modulation is different) but if OP is going for a vintage-style built they would look out of place. Brazed-on CP are pretty good, especially the Mafac RAID. The Weinmann have a wider boss spacing which generally fit frames better than the 62mm of the Mafac.

Discs? Meh. My only set corroded and started leaking after a single winter.

Last edited by tuz; 08-05-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-06-21, 02:02 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
In general, I would advise people to get discs, but I'm still building myself rim brake frames and I see nothing wrong with it.
I don't like disks on road bikes because I'd much rather have pencil-thin SS, a fork that isn't all beefed up, and the braking force going through the fork crown and SS bridge which are on the centerline and naturally reinforced areas. The whole bike is simpler, more symmetrical and aesthetic, and the braking is absolutely fine. Road calipers just plain work.

On anything with wider tyres, fenders etc where you start needing centre pulls or Vs and where the frame is already likely to be a bit heavier built the equation changes.
Likes For guy153:
Old 08-12-21, 07:18 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Soma: Dia Compe Centerpull Caliper Frame Boss pair | Soma Fab Shop -- I have only brazed on Mafacs, but I don't see any reason that DC/Weinmann would not work just as well.