Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Non-bike day?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 04:09 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Non-bike day?

I have been putting in quite a few miles and a lot of time on my bikes recently. Y'day, I had my first of 2021 75 mile ride, did it on my Orbea Avant, one of the bikes I have done quite of work on. That has paid off nicely, due to the fact that it is the first time since I have owned it, 5 years, that it is running 100% and doing it quietly. I have 3 other bikes that I have nearly re-built this year. Last evening, I decided to forego anything bike related today, maybe tomorrow also, and get on top of home chores that I have been putting off. I got a whole lot done today, inside and out, with no interference from other things I would rather do. I have one other project for tomorrow that will not take more than 2 hours. I am going to try to stay away from bike stuff for the day again, and am sure I can come up with things to do without looking too hard.

I took a nice long shower, and while doing so, it struck me that not riding or working on a bike does not mean the day is unrelated to bicycling. My motive for getting all these chores done is to free up Sunday and Monday for an extended bike ride. My 69th b-day is Monday, Tuesday I go back to driving my school bus route, so I am leaving my home Sunday morning, not to return until sometime Monday. I do not have a plan or a pre-set route. I am just going to go. The only thing I would like to have happen its to wind up staying at a hotel/motel with a nice restaurant nearby. I have another option for staying with friends for the night, and the ride home from there on Monday would be in the 60 to 70 mile range, depending on the route I would take.

My big decision at this point is what bike to take. I have been loving my Orbea, but it is not set up for carrying stuff I may need or want to take. I will most likely take my Soma Smoothie since I can attach a rack, and, it is a most comfortable ride but still quite quick if/when I want to kick it up a notch. My recently re-built and stickerized Fuji Ace is certainly in the equation.

Was today non-bike related? In my opinion now, it was not. If I honestly look at how I manage day to day, what I have scheduled that needs to be done, what I would like to get done, I usually work those things in with how and when to get in a bike ride. Not a big deal, no worry, I absolutely love riding bikes, and in the last few years, have learned to like working on them also, despite the frequent frustration due to my less than stellar mechanical ability.

Bikes are, and have been for a long time, a big part of my life. I want to keep it that way as long as I can. My 2 days away from bikes really are not.
Old 09-03-21, 04:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Wonder if your allowed to post on a Non-Bike Day... Ha

I gotcha buddy...
Old 09-03-21, 04:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,524 Times in 7,325 Posts
I’m not riding tomorrow. I’m riding from Neshanic Station to Brooklyn on Sunday. Starting a tour from northern Vermont to Philly on 9/12. I don’t obsess over not riding some days.
Old 09-03-21, 04:53 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Wonder if your allowed to post on a Non-Bike Day... Ha

I gotcha buddy...

Good point Zandoval.
Old 09-03-21, 06:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,632 Times in 2,918 Posts
I believe a non-bike day is officially designated as a ‘rest day’. That’s the day you do everything you had to put off because you were out riding. Most rest days are very busy here so I can’t wait to get back on my bike.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-04-21, 01:15 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have been putting in quite a few miles and a lot of time on my bikes recently. Y'day, I had my first of 2021 75 mile ride, did it on my Orbea Avant, one of the bikes I have done quite of work on. That has paid off nicely, due to the fact that it is the first time since I have owned it, 5 years, that it is running 100% and doing it quietly. I have 3 other bikes that I have nearly re-built this year. Last evening, I decided to forego anything bike related today, maybe tomorrow also, and get on top of home chores that I have been putting off. I got a whole lot done today, inside and out, with no interference from other things I would rather do. I have one other project for tomorrow that will not take more than 2 hours. I am going to try to stay away from bike stuff for the day again, and am sure I can come up with things to do without looking too hard.

I took a nice long shower, and while doing so, it struck me that not riding or working on a bike does not mean the day is unrelated to bicycling. My motive for getting all these chores done is to free up Sunday and Monday for an extended bike ride. My 69th b-day is Monday, Tuesday I go back to driving my school bus route, so I am leaving my home Sunday morning, not to return until sometime Monday. I do not have a plan or a pre-set route. I am just going to go. The only thing I would like to have happen its to wind up staying at a hotel/motel with a nice restaurant nearby. I have another option for staying with friends for the night, and the ride home from there on Monday would be in the 60 to 70 mile range, depending on the route I would take.

My big decision at this point is what bike to take. I have been loving my Orbea, but it is not set up for carrying stuff I may need or want to take. I will most likely take my Soma Smoothie since I can attach a rack, and, it is a most comfortable ride but still quite quick if/when I want to kick it up a notch. My recently re-built and stickerized Fuji Ace is certainly in the equation.

Was today non-bike related? In my opinion now, it was not. If I honestly look at how I manage day to day, what I have scheduled that needs to be done, what I would like to get done, I usually work those things in with how and when to get in a bike ride. Not a big deal, no worry, I absolutely love riding bikes, and in the last few years, have learned to like working on them also, despite the frequent frustration due to my less than stellar mechanical ability.

Bikes are, and have been for a long time, a big part of my life. I want to keep it that way as long as I can. My 2 days away from bikes really are not.
A simple HAPPY BIRTHDAY