Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Winter TL tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 03:51 AM
oyrslspoyjgrodz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter TL tires?

I'm looking for a pair of 700c tubeless tires for winter road riding. I don't typically go out when it's raining, though there's definitely water on the ground for lots of my rides. Which means I'm looking for something mostly slick, maybe with some water channels, but definitely not "knobbies". My frame can easily accommodate 38mm wide tires, but I'll probably go for 30s or 32s.

My summer carbon wheels are also TL, and I have a heck of a time fitting GP5 TLs on them. So much that my LBS has to bail me out on the job every time 😔

The winter wheels are a pair of Vision TriMax 35s. I have clinchers on it now: I was able to fit a 25mm GP5 but not a 25mm Gatorskin. I'm sure the Gatorskin would fit if a more experienced person was doing it, but I assume the inner diameter is ever so slightly smaller. Or maybe the tolerances are just a lot lower since these are TL compatible wheels--I'd love to hear if anyone else has this wheelset.

I liked the look of Hutchinson's Fusion 5 All Seasons, but they only went up to 28mm and all the stock is sold out.
Old 09-08-21, 04:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Pirelli Cinturato Velos are your answer. I have them in 32 mm. Grip level in the wet is great. Puncture resistance is excellent. They fit very easily on most rims, even without tools.

They are basically the perfect winter training tyre.
Old 09-08-21, 04:17 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Apologies, wrong info

Last edited by delbiker1; 09-08-21 at 04:22 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 09-08-21, 07:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I’ve been using GravelKings— the originals with the file tread, now called Slicks— since they came out years ago, and have had no reason to want anything else in a winter/spring road tire. I’ve run 26c, 28c, and 32c versions.