Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's Your Bike Gear Rabbit Hole?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's Your Bike Gear Rabbit Hole?

Old 09-23-21, 09:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
Well, it's good that you finally found a helmet and jersey which are acceptable.

In the future try to be a little less picky. All that unnecessary extra shipping and handling cost winds up being passed on to the rest of us consumers.
Thanks, mom.
Old 09-24-21, 03:24 AM
kitbiggz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
16, 44
Old 09-24-21, 03:51 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thanks, mom.
Old 09-24-21, 03:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I don't really have a bike gear rabbit hole. Skis on the other hand....
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-21, 10:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
That's hilarious! Some people just can't be pleased...
bless your heart for trying. dont give up, you will get better with practice.
Cmon, you gotta admit, it's laughable. It sounds like something from a Seinfeld episode - "George Castanza goes for a Jersey". "this one is too big, this one is too small, too long, not long enough, this one flaps in the wind, etc.

A dozen jerseys and a dozen or so helmets. Haha ha, funny stuff.
Unless of course, you are serious. If you are serious, I shouldn't make light of it.

You're not serious, are you? A dozen jerseys and a dozen helmets, and still can't find the right one? Seriously? My wife can spend hours trying on dresses and not go through that many.
As I posted, I found 2 helmets I like and the rest were returned.
Same with jerseys.

I have said multiple times that it was a pretty ridiculous hunt due to my pickiness over a few very specific and ultimately unimportant details which others may not care about.
I could have just bought something from a shop locally, but I would be limited to a few helmets in a color I didnt want or jerseys that are predominantly glow bright yellow and fit like a trash bag.
Old 09-24-21, 11:09 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I'm supposed to just have the one? I wish someone would have told me.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 09-24-21, 12:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
@atnyc - I like your tire comments, they can make a world of diff. Instead of extra wheels to indulge the tire fetish, you might consider bikes to match those tires. Race bikes for those 22/23mm, Sport bikes for those 25mm, mixed surface bikes for 27/28mm, graveler for the 32+mm, tourers for the 650b beauties….

edit: the DeRosa Pro will never wear a 27+mm tire.

The added complexity of matching purpose to frame to tire is worth the effort when you get it right with a comfortable cockpit - and a pleasant day. I assure. Whoever said ‘it’s not about the bike’ (as in the totality of the Bike) was ill-informed - or got the best for free.

Ride on.

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-24-21 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
I'm supposed to just have the one? I wish someone would have told me.

Actually, if you insert a rabbit hole into the bike, it will make the bike lighter. Assuming, of course, there's no rabbit to occupy it.
Old 09-24-21, 01:03 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
What’s my rabbit hole for cycling?

The answer for me is whatever tech I’m trying to optimize: currently I guess you could say it is in the pairings of comparable rabbit holes that diverge slightly.

Open tubular clinchers vs tubeless (rim brake) clinchers.

Getting real perfectionistic about recording exact tire pressures and setting them before each ride.

Foot comfort. Always wearing clean cycling specific socks. And have great comfortable cycling shoes, insoles and pedals too because life is too short to have sore feet!

Rebuilding my Dura Ace 9000 & 9100 pedals as perfectly as I can (which at times is most imperfect, but I often times will mess things up before I figure them out fully.

Campaigning 2 road bikes in a rigorous rotation….

that’s all I can think of now but when I go back to the UniGlide drivetrain era - I could expand into a much deeper rabbit hole. I mean there was 6 speed, 7 speed, 8,9 & 10 speed innovations that I compulsively had to work through most all of them (I sort of skipped Shimano 8 speed doing SunTour Accushift 8 speed instead) in order to experience the full weight of all the evolutionary innovations. I was just reading the Rivendell "blahg" today where the main man was talking about bringing back 7 speed for its simplicity.

Last edited by masi61; 09-24-21 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 07:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I was just reading the Rivendell "blahg" today where the main man was talking about bringing back 7 speed for its simplicity.
He's got my vote.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-25-21, 08:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I went through a lot of road pedals to realize I just really enjoyed Time ATAC's even on my road bikes. You know, cause of the road bike, road pedals mafia, but all my bikes have the Time ATAC pedals on them.

Old 09-26-21, 04:53 AM
m.steven2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I went through a lot of road pedals to realize I just really enjoyed Time ATAC's even on my road bikes. You know, cause of the road bike, road pedals mafia, but all my bikes have the Time ATAC pedals on them [/QUOTE]

Thank you, I agree with you 😂

Last edited by m.steven2; 11-14-21 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-26-21, 07:00 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
My rabbit hole is spending inordinate amounts of time scanning for the cheap & awesome deal(s) of the century. No single, physical item. Though my wife fights my modest need for redundancy as a whole category.
Old 09-27-21, 02:11 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Handlebars, stems, and saddles. I’ve found that any bike that fits is fun to ride. I could buy a $10,000 bike but if it’s uncomfortable it’s a waste of money.
Likes For AlanO:
Old 09-28-21, 10:47 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
@atnyc - I like your tire comments, they can make a world of diff. Instead of extra wheels to indulge the tire fetish, you might consider bikes to match those tires. Race bikes for those 22/23mm, Sport bikes for those 25mm, mixed surface bikes for 27/28mm, graveler for the 32+mm, tourers for the 650b beauties….

edit: the DeRosa Pro will never wear a 27+mm tire.

The added complexity of matching purpose to frame to tire is worth the effort when you get it right with a comfortable cockpit - and a pleasant day. I assure. Whoever said ‘it’s not about the bike’ (as in the totality of the Bike) was ill-informed - or got the best for free.

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.
Well, that's why I started the reply with bikes being the rabbit hole! But I then realize I didn't have half as many bikes as many of the posters! That said, I have twice as many wheels as I have bikes! And 3 times as many tires!!! So clearly I have a tire problem.

On a more serious side. I'm mainly talking about mountain bikes. Terrain and surface condition of mountain bike trails vary much more than road surfaces.

Yes, I've experimented different tires on the same bike. Doing the same trail, tires make a huge difference!

Back on the joking side, I do have multiple bikes to suit the kind of riding I do. Unlike many of the bike collectors here, my bikes don't really overlap in geometry and function. Bike for lift-served downhill, bike for cross country, bike for club rides, bike for touring... And of course a do-everything-ok-but-not-great "compromise bike" for mixed conditions!

p.s.
I like your sig. I don't have a cyclecomputer on my handle bar any more! I don't need to know how fast I ride. (but I do have a light mount on one of my bike, and a bell on my commute bike's hb)

Last edited by atnyc; 09-28-21 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-28-21, 10:55 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Lubricants (oil, wax, grease, etc). I have a serious problem.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 11-12-21, 04:56 PM
m.steven2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rabbit hole? Kinda like elephant hole!

Vintage Euro/UK bikes - not so much vintage ‘gear’.
All riders. Maybe tubular tires are my rabbit hole.

A few.
Get your one out!
Old 11-13-21, 10:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Lighting. I commuted year-round for almost 30 years half the year riding home in the dark, and I was always buying lights, lighting and reflective bits for my bikes.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-13-21, 11:55 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Now that it’s getting colder I realize the other thing is gloves. I ride all winter and at this point for cycling I have two pairs of mittens, two pairs of regular gloves of different warmth and two pairs of thin liner gloves. And there are at least two other pairs of gloves I bought that didn’t really work out for cycling.

Otto
Old 11-14-21, 04:13 AM
m.steven2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
My rabbit hole is spending inordinate amounts of time scanning for the cheap & awesome deal(s) of the century. No single, physical item. Though my wife fights my modest need for redundancy as a whole category.
Watch some detflix documentary
Old 11-14-21, 04:15 AM
m.steven2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Watch some Netflix documentary
Old 11-14-21, 04:54 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Not sure if this counts as a "rabbit hole" as meant by the OP, but my rabbit hole has been... bicycle lights. Especially headlights - not only do I gotta have not one, but two headlights for (and on) each of my four active/semi-active bikes, but I've always compulsively bought a pair of new headlights (mostly Bontrager Ion 120s) with every new bike I bought. I even recall at least two instances where I went to the Trek/Bontrager dealer to pick up a new pair of headlights first and then pick up my new Dahon from my favorite sporting store. As you can imagine, I've got many unused headlights (and at least a couple of tail lights) just lying around with no bikes to put them on.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 11-14-21, 07:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I even recall at least two instances where I went to the Trek/Bontrager dealer to pick up a new pair of headlights first and then pick up my new Dahon from my favorite sporting store. As you can imagine, I've got many unused headlights (and at least a couple of tail lights) just lying around with no bikes to put them on.
At least you have good taste in lights -- my Bontrager Flare taillight is awesome -- and there's nothing wrong with having extras around in case one doesn't get charged or a buddy wants to ride along!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-14-21, 11:08 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Rabbit hole? Kinda like elephant hole!

Vintage Euro/UK bikes - not so much vintage ‘gear’.
All riders. Maybe tubular tires are my rabbit hole.

A few.
Oh my... I'm feeling a whole lot better about my own mental state right now... LOL
Ride ON, & On, and on....

EDIT: just so I'm not misunderstood... Having a bunch of bicycles, which were already produced and used prior, is a wonderful thing, if it fits your life and world. There is no 'shortage' of worthy older bicycles, yet our world could use a whole bunch more 'riders' to use these bicycles CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.
Sadly, I believe much of the 'new' bike sales (especially e-bikes) is not as a replacement for 'infernal combustion' machine use, just another consumption...

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-15-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-14-21, 11:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
I'm wondering how I ended up having so many saddles...
Crazy thing is, my butt isn;t really all that picky about what it's perched on... as long as it's not narrower than 140...
oh... and the wheels... like the old saying goes: you can never be too thin, have too many saddles or too many wheels... LOL!
The craps all coming with me, in my pyramid !
Ride on
Yuri

EDIT: Ok... so when you say 'Rabbitt Hole' you mean , of course, things which you have more than 6 of... right?
or in the case of stuff which really gets used - a dozen...
and i forgot to include kit, like Jerseys (44) SHorts/bibs (23) Socks (countless) and gloves (18)
hey, they all get used ... a lot !

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-14-21 at 11:25 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: