Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

35 v. 31.8 XC Bars?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

35 v. 31.8 XC Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 09:26 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
35 v. 31.8 XC Bars?

Hey guys -

So I recently picked up a Santa Cruz Highball which I'm turning into a bit of a weight weenie project. I want to upgrade the handlebars to carbon - I'm looking at the Santa Cruz branded ones because they fit the look and I like their warranty.

They have two options:
31.8 Flat XC Bar - 202g
35 20mm Riser - 182g

My current set up is a RaceFace Aeffect stem/bar combo in the 35mm variety with a 60mm stem. The current bars have a 10mm rise.

Would I be best served going down to 31.8 and the flat bars? Or will the 20mm risers be ok? This bike is purely meant for going fast uphill, so that is my focus.

If I do go down to 31.8, are there any good, light, XC style stems that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-21, 09:29 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Flat bar vs a bar that has a 20mm rise won't change how fast you can pedal uphill.

However it may change how comfortable you feel on the bike and only you can decide that. Nobody here can.
Old 09-22-21, 09:44 AM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Flat bar vs a bar that has a 20mm rise won't change how fast you can pedal uphill.

However it may change how comfortable you feel on the bike and only you can decide that. Nobody here can.
Makes sense - is there any actual advantage to 35mm vs. 31.8mm?
Old 09-22-21, 09:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Nothing game changing that I can see. 35 is a bigger number.

Lot of accessories lights, gps mounts etc. sometimes have a hard time fitting on a 35mm bar.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...u-need-to-know