Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SKS Rennkompressor dissapointment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SKS Rennkompressor dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 04:12 PM
girona
biciclista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
SKS Rennkompressor dissapointment - No more!!

I am dissapointed when I purchase an item that turns out to be no suitable for its purpose, but I am doubly dissapointed when the item I buy has such good reputation as the SKS Rennkompressor, the mother of all real shop floor pumps.

I should specify that I am dissapointed with the pump head that came with my pump. It is the "AVACS" pump head style, meaning auto adjustable for schrader and presta valves. In the past I've been weary of this sort of pump head, always running into trouble with them. I was hesitant to purchase it but I thought that maybe SKS had figured it out. Besides, none of the local shop carried the more traditional, older style Rennkompressor heads.

I've used this pump for the past 6 months mainly to pump up to 120psi my road tires once a week, tops. And it has worked alright for that time, but it has recently started to fail. When the pressure reaches around 90 psi, I can hear air hissing out of the head. When I try to pump to 120 psi, the head cannot hold on to the valve and it comes out with the familiar sound of pressure release.
Maybe the head has premature rubber gasket wear?
Maybe, but it sure holds on to Schrader valves. The other day I tried pumping a schrader valve tube/tire using said pump. It was difficult both to position the head correctly on the valve and to remove it, to the point where I was worried I would damage the tube from so much pulling and twisting.

Summarizing, I don't like the AVACS head.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something here? Any other bad luck experiences out there?

I would like to purchase a different pump head from SKS, but I've had no luck finding the part numbers on their site (I've found the page with the parts for the main body of the pump, but not the hose).

Cheers

Last edited by girona; 01-22-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-18-10, 04:47 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Pump head problems are easily cured. Cut it off and replace it with one you like better. I would use a small hose clamp from an auto store to install a new pump head. The kind I use is small enough to slide over a finger.
I don't like using the same pump on schrader valves that I use on presta valves. Too much wear on the "O" ring.
I recently replaced the "O" ring on one of my pumps with one that I bought at a local hardware store for $0.15.

Al
Old 01-18-10, 09:03 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Shoot SKS an email and tell them about your problem. https://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php They have a new "EVA" valve head that is an improvement over the older style. They might send you one for free. I have one and it seems to work pretty well-no problems.
Old 01-18-10, 09:16 PM
Drakonchik

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Both my brand-new SKS floor pumps failed after just a few dozen uses. Purely because the gasket inside the head shreds so quickly. Was not hard on them either.
Old 01-18-10, 11:58 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
My SKS 75th Anniversary model Renkompressor came with the old-style 'bell' chuck - which are fine. But I replaced it with the (expensive) Hirame Presta chuck. One small problem I found - it leaked at the base of the hose going into the pump-body. I screwed this down firmly by hand. No problems after this.

SKS will repair/replace their pumps without a problem - they believe in keeping their reputation at the top of the proverbial list. So I certainly hope you've contacted them. I'm certain they'd make it right. These pumps are a lifetime-investment. And they do realize this. Contact them - I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced it on the spot.

Hirame chuck:

https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...4?disp_order=4

The pump and chuck:

Old 01-18-10, 11:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I bought one at an REI scratch & dent sale for $7. I too was dissappointed in the head. Called SKS in IL? maybe and they sent me out a new head and handfull of gaskets N/C.
Old 01-19-10, 12:08 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
pumped

Originally Posted by dedhed
I bought one at an REI scratch & dent sale for $7.
I too was dissappointed in the head.
Called SKS in IL? maybe and they sent me out a new head and handfull of gaskets N/C.
Xlnt!

SKS Customer Service comes thru!
Old 01-19-10, 02:14 PM
girona
biciclista

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have emailed SKS. I am waiting for a reply and will keep you posted about any new developments.

Cheers
Old 01-20-10, 12:49 PM
girona
biciclista

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
SKS Customer Service has come through. They are sending me a new style pump head free of charge. Way to go SKS!
Old 01-22-10, 10:01 AM
girona
biciclista

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The new pump head is here. It took only 2 days for delivery from Germany to Spain.

For reference:

Old style pump head (AVACS):

New style multivalve head:

Old 01-22-10, 12:55 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
cust. serv.

how is your disappointment now?
Old 01-23-10, 11:24 AM
girona
biciclista

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by girona
I am dissapointed when I purchase an item that turns out to be no suitable for its purpose, but I am doubly dissapointed when the item I buy has such good reputation as the SKS Rennkompressor, the mother of all real shop floor pumps.

I should specify that I am dissapointed with the pump head that came with my pump. It is the "AVACS" pump head style, meaning auto adjustable for schrader and presta valves. In the past I've been weary of this sort of pump head, always running into trouble with them. I was hesitant to purchase it but I thought that maybe SKS had figured it out. Besides, none of the local shop carried the more traditional, older style Rennkompressor heads.

I've used this pump for the past 6 months mainly to pump up to 120psi my road tires once a week, tops. And it has worked alright for that time, but it has recently started to fail. When the pressure reaches around 90 psi, I can hear air hissing out of the head. When I try to pump to 120 psi, the head cannot hold on to the valve and it comes out with the familiar sound of pressure release.
Maybe the head has premature rubber gasket wear?
Maybe, but it sure holds on to Schrader valves. The other day I tried pumping a schrader valve tube/tire using said pump. It was difficult both to position the head correctly on the valve and to remove it, to the point where I was worried I would damage the tube from so much pulling and twisting.

Summarizing, I don't like the AVACS head.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something here? Any other bad luck experiences out there?

I would like to purchase a different pump head from SKS, but I've had no luck finding the part numbers on their site (I've found the page with the parts for the main body of the pump, but not the hose).

Cheers
Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler
how is your disappointment now?

No more dissapointment for me. Quite the opposite actually. Very impressed with SKS great customer service.