rogerb40uk
Old Pedaller

Bikes: at this moment none!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Windecopower
You could try your local Car Boot sale, Here in the Costa Daurada, we have three regular booties, mainly populated with ex-pats selling off stuff they no longer need or use,we managed to pick up a moulton equivalent made by Raleigh, Folding Shopping Cycle which we use to trek down to our local shops a bargain at €20, we also hire out cheap mountain bikes for tourists wanting a gentle cycle down our nearby cycle track and we also have two electric mountain bikes for the less energetic.

You could also try your local English Press and put an ad in their Wanted section, I have found this quite successful when selling and buying, ours is https://www.theolivepress.eu/, and we also Have a Forum for the Ex-Pats https://www.tortosaforum.com/ which also has a wanted and for sale section, you may have similar in your area.

At least you could be specific and ask for just what you want

Anyway good luck in your quest
Stuart
Thanks Stuart, I'll look into that.
Roger
Old 08-19-12, 10:20 AM
eddierex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am hoping to bike from Madrid to Barcelona. Seems really simple when I'm looking at the map, but I'm wondering if it's as easy as that.

Looks like a 7 day trip, 50 or 60 miles a day, with at most a 2,000 foot elevation climb. But is it up and down a lot, is it mostly highways or can bikes do that route?

Any help and advice would be supremely appreciated.
Old 08-28-12, 12:01 AM
girona
biciclista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eddierex
I am hoping to bike from Madrid to Barcelona. Seems really simple when I'm looking at the map, but I'm wondering if it's as easy as that.

Looks like a 7 day trip, 50 or 60 miles a day, with at most a 2,000 foot elevation climb. But is it up and down a lot, is it mostly highways or can bikes do that route?

Hello Eddie,

I'm not sure which route you are planning on following, but the "main" road linking Madrid and Barcelona is not bike friendly. It is basically the equivalent to an interstate with heavy traffic.
I would use something like https://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx to find a more bike friendly route. I created a course it just for kicks using bikeroutetoaster... it takes you through some back country, 628 km and 4500 m of elevation gain.

Getting into and out of major cities is sort of a pain due to traffic and large roads... if you don't want to deal with that, you could use public transport, ie Cercanias (commuter train) to avoid these sections.
Old 09-06-12, 12:15 PM
Vampy

Bikes: Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddierex

A few days late, let me add my 2 cents. I´d say the reason people don´t do that is because it´s mainly road and nothing else. That distance you pare planning on doing could become an awesome trip if you do, for example, the Camino de Santiago. The northern route will take you to wonderful places, and I am telling you this in spite of living in Rota and having a soft spot for the area.
Old 09-10-12, 04:27 AM
rogerb40uk
Old Pedaller

Bikes: at this moment none!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Windecopower
You could try your local Car Boot sale, Here in the Costa Daurada, we have three regular booties, mainly populated with ex-pats selling off stuff they no longer need or use,we managed to pick up a moulton equivalent made by Raleigh, Folding Shopping Cycle which we use to trek down to our local shops a bargain at €20, we also hire out cheap mountain bikes for tourists wanting a gentle cycle down our nearby cycle track and we also have two electric mountain bikes for the less energetic.

You could also try your local English Press and put an ad in their Wanted section, I have found this quite successful when selling and buying, ours is https://www.theolivepress.eu/, and we also Have a Forum for the Ex-Pats https://www.tortosaforum.com/ which also has a wanted and for sale section, you may have similar in your area.

At least you could be specific and ask for just what you want

Anyway good luck in your quest
Stuart
This was Stuart's earlier advice (to me) ..... well my local BS has started stocking hybrids, and i have recently bought a Claud Butler Explorer which seems to meet my needs very well . No doubt, there will be some customising done .....the pedals have viciously jagged edges which have already attacked my shins!

On a note of practical info and advice, helmets are required by law to be worn, and the Spanish Highway Code allows cyclists to ride 2 abreast and other road users must allow 1.5m (about 5 feet) of clearance when passing (and some do!!)

With rising fuel prices, I am seeing more everyday/casual cyclists (i.e. not in lycra and on racers!) about in this area.

Any potential bike tourists should remember that this is the second most mountainous country in Europe)after Switzerland!!
There tend to be long, flattish, stretches, interspersed with sudden mountain ranges, which are often not very high, but can be very steep!

( BTW I smiled at the concept of a 'Moulton equivalent' for €20 I guess that meant a small-wheeled folder. The proprietor of my local BS said they took-in a quite elderly Moulton. in near-mint condition, and sold it on ebay for more than $US 2.5K!! They are unique ....would love to try one.)