Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Tough year starting to get me down

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Tough year starting to get me down

Old 01-24-22, 10:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Gerryattrick How ya doin' in 2022?
Old 01-24-22, 10:45 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, docs don't always get it right. My wife got run over by the rear duals on a 1-ton flatbed, thankfully w/o cargo. The ER doc X-rayed her arm which was not damaged or involved in any way and missed the 6 broken ribs and pneumothorax. Sent her home right from the ER with some pain pills. She's fine now, no longer rides her single on the road, but she loves stoking our tandem.
I got the 6 inch lag bolt taken out of the ulna bone along with some screws and the tension wire. WHAT an improvement. I can finally sleep and am doing 10-15 mile rides. I can drive without too much pain. Yipppee. Have my hopes on a 1200K this summer. Thanks for the kind well wishes.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-24-22, 11:02 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I got the 6 inch lag bolt taken out of the ulna bone along with some screws and the tension wire. WHAT an improvement. I can finally sleep and am doing 10-15 mile rides. I can drive without too much pain. Yipppee. Have my hopes on a 1200K this summer. Thanks for the kind well wishes.
1200k this summer? What, is next year a PBP year or something? I was looking at my local clubs summer schedule, pretty obvious something's going on.
Old 01-24-22, 12:27 PM
GhostRider62

1200k this summer? What, is next year a PBP year or something? I was looking at my local clubs summer schedule, pretty obvious something's going on.
August 2023 is Paris Brest Paris (every 4 years). A 1200K this year would assure entry into PBP. I suspect a 400K will be the limit and those who only have a 200 or 300K this year will be shut out. I would like to get into the A group and successively suck wheel when the B and the C and D and E groups pass me. I figure at 64, I shouldn't be too proud to latch on to the youngins' wheels. A long shot this year but the way I am wired, I need a goal.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 01-24-22, 12:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
as kids, my brother threatened to throw a dart at me, then did & it stuck in my calf. he had to run over & pull it out
Old 01-24-22, 12:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Wifey still has the screws & wire that repaired her split kneecap from 5? years ago. she was supposed to get it all taken out but she never did
Old 01-24-22, 12:31 PM
rumrunn6

Yeah, docs don't always get it right. My wife got run over by the rear duals on a 1-ton flatbed, thankfully w/o cargo. The ER doc X-rayed her arm which was not damaged or involved in any way and missed the 6 broken ribs and pneumothorax. Sent her home right from the ER with some pain pills. She's fine now, no longer rides her single on the road, but she loves stoking our tandem.
oh dear! that' sounds truly horrifying
Old 01-24-22, 01:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh dear! that' sounds truly horrifying
Yes, quite. Never watch your wife's helmet get squirted out from under a truck tire like a watermelon seed as the tire passes over her back.
Old 01-24-22, 01:08 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
4. Just had my annual exam yesterday and found out I have osteoporosis (T= -2.6), and diabetes has its hooks in me (AHI = 5.7) waiting to attack.
Is AHI the same as A1C? If so, 5.7 is the very bottom reading of pre-diabetes. And there's lots you can do to get the score lower.
Condolences for the other rough challenges you've been facing. And those for others in this thread.
Old 01-24-22, 05:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've learned a few hard lessons from my two unsatisfactory experiences with doctors and lawyers after being struck by negligent drivers twice in less than 20 years.

First thing I'd do differently is see my own doctor and demand a thorough exam with documentation of every injury, no matter how seemingly minor. Sometimes it's the "minor" injuries that come back to haunt us. I wouldn't rely on doctors recommended by the attorneys.

For example, after my 2018 shoulder injury, all the emphasis was on the AC joint separation and break, with inadequate documentation of the winged scapula due to soft tissue damage. But it was the inadequately documented injury that still bothers me today, years later. The break and AC joint healed typically, with that distinctive hump, and I can feel some reduction in mobility, but little or no residual pain. But the scapula still aches almost every day. I do physical therapy every day and have done the most I can but it will never be right.

Same with the neck injury. There was zero documentation of the neck injury, which I didn't realize until it was too late. Even when I discussed it with the imaging techs (I had X-rays, MRIs and CT-scans) and doctors, they barely documented anything I mentioned. I didn't realize how bad the cervical vertebrae damage was until *after* the lawsuit was finally settled (very unsatisfactorily, as I described in my Nov 19, 2021 post to this thread). Even my own VA doctors who ordered the imaging scans didn't discuss the findings with me. I had to find out for myself by reading my online chart.

Part of the problem is medical facilities were overwhelmed by the pandemic, especially the VA. Even now my civilian health care system is far more responsive than the VA -- exactly the opposite of my experience before the pandemic, when the VA was better than my civilian health care provider.

Another part of the problem was that I didn't personally read and get qualified medical interpretations of my lingering injuries. Instead I relied on my attorney to handle that. But as the settlement was being discussed in 2021 it became apparent the attorney's office had done little or nothing. If I had recognized what was happening earlier I'd have asked the attorney whether I should seek my own independent medical evaluation to determine long-term problems.

Mostly what I've learned is that Texas regards cyclists and pedestrians as mere speed bumps hindering *real* traffic. And the corrupt influence of insurance corporations on state government was designed to minimize liability at the expense of injured parties.

Now I understand the heavy-handed melodramatic TV ads by some motor vehicle liability attorneys, although those were limited to collisions with commercial vehicles. Our governor and legislature have changed that liability as well, limiting payouts from negligent commercial vehicles.

If I had it to do over again I'd get the meanest, loudest, most ruthless and foul-mouthed attorney I could find, someone who would insist on a jury trial and turn it into a bit of popcorn throwing melodramatic theater. Screw the system because it's rigged to screw the victims of negligent drivers.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-24-22, 07:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by canklecat
I've learned a few hard lessons from my two unsatisfactory experiences with doctors and lawyers after being struck by negligent drivers twice in less than 20 years.
<snip>
If I had it to do over again I'd get the meanest, loudest, most ruthless and foul-mouthed attorney I could find, someone who would insist on a jury trial and turn it into a bit of popcorn throwing melodramatic theater. Screw the system because it's rigged to screw the victims of negligent drivers.
We tried that, but lawyers . . . It was evident that my wife would have no permanent damage from the accident other than one lung being a little smaller than the other, not too impressive in court. The short of it is that high end lawyers want high end payments, and 1/3 of what my wife might get in court wasn't even close to what these lawyers were demanding. "Pain and suffering" - eh. They wanted to see life-changing permanent damage. I'm happy she didn't have any of that.
Old 01-27-22, 04:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Is AHI the same as A1C? If so, 5.7 is the very bottom reading of pre-diabetes. And there's lots you can do to get the score lower.
Condolences for the other rough challenges you've been facing. And those for others in this thread.
Yeah, I meant A1C. I've been doing all the pre-diabetes prevention stuff and it HAS worked... my glucose at that same appointment was 87. Nobody is recommending any treatment or anything, just watching.
But nearly everybody on my Mom's side of the family is diabetic... so there's a strong genetic component that's working against me.
Old 01-27-22, 07:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Chronologically diagnosed:
Memory loss ~58 yo
Profound recall&memory loss ~62
Dementia ~64
Early Parkinsons symptoms ~66
I ride to feel healthy and fight off effects of my conditions.
but kinda a losing (declining?) situation.
Prostate cancer @ 70 just diagnosed, details to be decided.

... but, but, but - otherwise, I'm perfectly healthy.

Ride On!

. If it wasn't for bad luck, ..... I wouldn't have no luck at all.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-04-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-27-22, 08:13 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I had a bike fitting earlier this year, at 61, and the first thing the fitter did was test my range of motion. His response was "good thing for cycling". In other words, inside the range of motion of cycling, I'm fluid and beautiful. Outside that range, uh, I show my age.

Moral of the story is, keep on keeping on until you can't.

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Dupuytrens Contractor since first hand operation in 1994 at 26 FRIKIN insane lol. 12 hand operations over the years annoying as hell but over all I have been lucky I have had only orthopedic issues. Inherited high blood pressure controlled with meds. I’m due another hand rebuild but I’m putting it off as long as possible. Not much left to carve on lol. I had a parotid tumor taken out of my saliva glands near my ear but luckily it wasn’t cancer. At 47 I cleanly deadlifted 450 pounds I was happy but my intestines decided to pop out. Triple hernia operation all I could do was laugh because it was funny. Two foot operations to get the same condition as dupuytrens but the foot version. That sucked rolling on a scooter for 2 months but I put a bike bell on it to annoy people with. That’s about it. I try to live a healthy style but sometimes ice cold beer and football games get in the way. Don’t smoke no illegal drugs just beer.
It ain't illegal in Oregon Also, you can buy chewables so smoking isn't necessary. Not that I partake currently, being employed by a rather conservative company that does random drug screenings. But retirement is going to be grand.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
August 2023 is Paris Brest Paris (every 4 years). A 1200K this year would assure entry into PBP. I suspect a 400K will be the limit and those who only have a 200 or 300K this year will be shut out. I would like to get into the A group and successively suck wheel when the B and the C and D and E groups pass me. I figure at 64, I shouldn't be too proud to latch on to the youngins' wheels. A long shot this year but the way I am wired, I need a goal.
As far as I can tell, there as only been one finisher over 80 - Jean Guillot at age 86. I'll be 86 11/12ths in the 2037 running. I'm going for it. This means no more breaking my neck; you probably don't get two of those.

Last edited by downtube42; 01-27-22 at 08:20 PM.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-28-22, 03:42 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by downtube42
I had a bike fitting earlier this year, at 61, and the first thing the fitter did was test my range of motion. His response was "good thing for cycling". In other words, inside the range of motion of cycling, I'm fluid and beautiful. Outside that range, uh, I show my age.

Moral of the story is, keep on keeping on until you can't.

It ain't illegal in Oregon Also, you can buy chewables so smoking isn't necessary. Not that I partake currently, being employed by a rather conservative company that does random drug screenings. But retirement is going to be grand.

As far as I can tell, there as only been one finisher over 80 - Jean Guillot at age 86. I'll be 86 11/12ths in the 2037 running. I'm going for it. This means no more breaking my neck; you probably don't get two of those.
I noticed from various published stats that PBP gets hard at 65 and very hard (lots of DNF) at 70.

I'm taking motivation from an older French rider that I chatted with on the bridge into Brest. He lamented no longer being able to keep up with the fast riders at his old age. He looked 50 to me, so, I asked his age. 71. It was only just over 22 hours into the ride. Old dude was already in Brest!!! He said recovery had become a problem and that he needed more sleep on rides. He invited me to his home to sleep if I needed. It was only a 10 minute chat but something that I'll never forget. IRRC, he had done like 11 PBPs.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-10-22, 05:40 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Hi. Thanks for asking.

Still turning the pedals around, perhaps a bit slower than I used to.

TBH things are not improving a lot physically as I have just been diagnosed with spinal stenosis following the lower back and leg pains I have had for 2+ years, but luckily cycling is something that is not affected by it, in fact it helps it because my physio tells me it opens the spine out. A lot of strength and flexibility exercises are starting to make some improvement and I am not taking painkillers as the pain is not crippling.

Still riding 2/3 times a week which keeps me smiling....absolutely essential with all the worrying sh*t that is happening here in Europe with Russia/Ukraine.
Likes For Gerryattrick:
Old 03-10-22, 08:30 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
luckily cycling is something that is not affected by it, in fact it helps it because my physio tells me it opens the spine out. A lot of strength and flexibility exercises are starting to make some improvement and I am not taking painkillers as the pain is not crippling.
good job! cpl years ago I looked up yoga stretches/poses/exercises whatever you call them, that are good for the back or good for a sore back & I selected about 6 that I really liked & could do. I don't have your condition/diagnosis but maybe there are some that you'd enjoy. all you need is a mat & some privacy or take a class. my spouse takes a class. hang in there. you're not alone
Old 03-11-22, 09:02 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
A long time ago I did Pilates for three years to alleviate ongoing problems with back pain.

It worked so well that I stopped doing Pilates. What an idiot, should have kept it up.