Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Navigate Back to Start

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Navigate Back to Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 02:02 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Lots of phones have barometers. A HR monitor is $60?
What's the point you're trying to make? If you went with a GPS bike computer, that would also require you to use a separate HR monitor.
Old 11-11-22, 02:17 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
What's the point you're trying to make? If you went with a GPS bike computer, that would also require you to use a separate HR monitor.
You could have spent $60 and used your phone (saving the money you spent on the watch).

And, maybe get more accurate data.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...etter-for-you/

The real point is that it's the same argument you are making against "expensive" cycling computers.

Even if you can't see it, there are advantages to them (even if they aren't "needed" by everyone).

Originally Posted by Yan
I'm surprised that everyone is going for expensive bike computers these days. Am I the only one who simply uses Google Maps on their phone for navigation? I just look at the map with my eyes and then ride. If I forget where I need to go, I take the phone out and look at it again. Why do I need to have a map continuously in front of me? I use a Garmin GPS watch to track my path and ride statistics for later review. On the bike I use a cheap old computer just to tell speed and distance.
If what you do works for you, great. But that doesn't mean everybody should be doing what you do just because you can't imagine anything beyond what you do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-11-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-11-22, 02:30 PM
Yan 

You could have spent $60 and used your phone (saving the money you spent on the watch).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...etter-for-you/

The real point is that it's the same argument you are making against "expensive" cycling computers.

Even if you can't see it, there are advantages to them (even if they aren't "needed" by everyone).

If what you do works for you, great. But that doesn't mean everybody should be doing what you do just because you can't imagine anything beyond what you do.

You're misreading what I wrote. I didn't say GPS computers are pointless. I just said I'm surprised so many people are using them. They are quite expensive so I was surprised they are so popular.

The watch is not a good parallel comparison. It's a wristwatch. I wear it all the time, including at work in the office. It's not just used for cycling like a bike computer is
Old 11-11-22, 02:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

​​​​​​When I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is, I always check my bike computer because I heard "maybe" watches lie to you.
Old 11-11-22, 02:38 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I've used the return to start option on Garmins and the Karoo 2 numerous times over the years when cycling in unfamiliar areas. Generally, I let it pick the route for me and follow it until I get to where I know where I am. I used it near Green Valley, AZ a couple days ago on a very windy ride. My wife got tired and wanted to return to our rental. I told my 1030 to take me home and then followed the route it picked until we were in familiar area. Worked great and you don't have to have a route pre-loaded to use it.

It's one of the things that I like about cycling computers.

Old 11-11-22, 02:41 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Yan
You're misreading what I wrote. I didn't say GPS computers are pointless. I just said I'm surprised so many people are using them. They are quite expensive so I was surprised they are so popular.
No, I didn't misunderstand what you wrote.

You are only surprised because they aren't using them in the way you imagine.

What's "expensive" mean? Some of them are cheaper (much cheaper) than some GPS watches.

Some of the features (smaller size, better battery life, better continuous display of data) of cycling computers are worth it to some people.
Old 11-11-22, 02:44 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​When I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is, I always check my bike computer because I heard "maybe" watches lie to you.
This is dumb.

People have all sorts of ways to know what time it is at night without wearing a watch. You don't need a $500+ GPS watch either.

Since you are having trouble: clearly, there are reasons to have a GPS watch just like there are reasons to have a cycling computer.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-11-22 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-11-22, 03:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I think most cyclists probably spend 99.9 % of their time riding on roads they know.

For what it's worth, a lot of research shows relying on GPS actually harms the brain's ability to navigate.
Conservation of intelligence. Like conservation of energy. I came to this realization after a long evening of Fortran programming many years ago when I walked into the glass door leaving the building.

I need all the brain cells I've got so I exercise them using paper maps, lists of turns and distances, the sun ...
Old 11-11-22, 03:39 PM
Yan 

No, I didn't misunderstand what you wrote.

You are only surprised because they aren't using them in the way you imagine.

What's "expensive" mean? Some of them are cheaper (much cheaper) than some GPS watches.

Some of the features (smaller size, better battery life, better continuous display of data) of cycling computers are worth it to some people.
Why are you so negative to everyone here? Are you this painful in real life too? I'm telling you right now what my thoughts are. You refuse to believe me? Why?

All you are doing is arguing against your own imagination.
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-11-22, 03:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Conservation of intelligence. Like conservation of energy. I came to this realization after a long evening of Fortran programming many years ago when I walked into the glass door leaving the building.

I need all the brain cells I've got so I exercise them using paper maps, lists of turns and distances, the sun ...
​​​​​​I just heard a loud bang and saw my kitten sitting in front of the sliding glass door, looking confused.
Old 11-11-22, 06:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I grew up in a family with sailing in its blood. My dad received a wind-up ships clock as a wedding gift. I loved it. The 8 bells were part of my childhood and comforting to return to for many years after. Eventually that clock got replaced by a modern quartz one that looked and sounded identical (and was a lot less work). When we divided up my parents' stuff, I asked for and got the clock. (No contest, nobody else wanted to have to maintain the rituals.)

I used to hear it any time I was downstairs but I couldn't in my bedroom with the door closed. Now its on a shelf, backed up to the wall of my bedroom. I hear the time several times a night. Of course, it does take rudimentary math to convert the number of strikes to the half hour. The 8 bell system - clock sounds from one to eight strikes, adding an additional strike every half hour. The 24 hour day is broken up into 4 hour segments (ship's watches) starting at noon/midnight, 4 o'clock and 8. So 12:30 is one strike (or "bell") and so on. Those on watch know how much longer they will be on deck, at the helm or whatever and those off know when their turn is coming up.

Now, the "fall back" of the transition from daylight savings to real time is a drag! You do not push the hands backwards! And forwards only between after striking to about 12 minutes before the next strike. Never through the bell mechanism windup. So, to fall back means either letting the clock wind down to a stop (about 10 days) or pushing the hands forward about 44 times; going and doing it after each time you hear the strike. And while this is happening, the clock is completely useless as a timepiece. Last night I finally had the clock back to PST and life is good again.

And yes, I realize this doesn't belong here at all. Marine, not bicycle and worse, no electronics at all. In fact I doubt this clock has seen electricity the past 70 years. Well, maybe a small powered repair tool.
Old 11-12-22, 07:56 AM
njkayaker

??? This makes no sense.
Old 11-13-22, 01:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

??? This makes no sense.
That's because the comment it replied to makes no sense. Garbage in, garbage out.