Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift alternatives

Old 12-03-22, 12:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
As long as we're complaining about zwift, I have to say that I don't understand why they don't let you (without a hack or a group ride) choose from more worlds on zwift. Of course, the alternate platforms don't have as many routes. But there are some worlds on zwift that annoy me. Like Innsbruck, Richmond, and New York. I'm not a fan of Yorkshire either. It's a good thing that there are so many routes on watopia
Old 12-03-22, 08:34 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Have tried Zwift several times and keep going back to the TACX Trainer app. Real rides in real places, not video game or cartoon graphics.
Not an ERG type ride, the resistance changes based on whether you are riding up or down. So yeah, you shift just like in real life.
The entire elevation graphic for the whole ride is in front of you. Solid cadence, power, callrie burned, HR displays.
Only downside to me is tha5 there’s no gamification to it. But if you ride mostly solo anyway,it’s a gas.
Old 12-04-22, 01:57 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I don’t think it was mentioned but Bkool is another one.
Old 12-04-22, 08:32 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
As long as we're complaining about zwift, I have to say that I don't understand why they don't let you (without a hack or a group ride) choose from more worlds on zwift.
Originally it was to concentrate online riders onto one or two worlds so they were well populated. The big draw of Zwift is community and riding with other people around. Having riders spread across all the worlds at once would dilute this.

That was Zwift's reasoning anyway.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-04-22, 08:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Originally it was to concentrate online riders onto one or two worlds so they were well populated. The big draw of Zwift is community and riding with other people around. Having riders spread across all the worlds at once would dilute this.

That was Zwift's reasoning anyway.
there are enough riders to fill every world. even when i used the hack i would find other riders, not much but they were there. if all worlds were available i am pretty sure none would be a no mans land.
Old 12-04-22, 10:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I can't imagine they would have a shortage of riders. If someone wants to ride with other people they just have to go to the volcano
Old 12-07-22, 11:16 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I always assumed they limit the worlds for some IT reason, like limiting their server loads. I don't really know how this works though, so maybe that doesn't make sense.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-07-22, 11:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I suspect it's because they don't feel like investing in the programming effort to allow it. Obviously they can handle the worlds being used, they are all being used every day. Unless it's Yorkshire, which nobody would chose on their own.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-07-22, 11:54 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by La Tortue
You can get this info concurrently running Zwift Power live where it provides the entire elevation profile .
Same thing Zwift power live in the background gives you avg speed, watts, distance traveled, distance to go, normalized power, current HR, etc. Not only your stats but for everyone else's in the event.
I'm vaguely familiar with Zwift Power and have an account, but have never heard of Zwift Power Live. Is this another app or a website that you run while on Zwift? Running another app/screen isn't a very good solution for me - I already have to run two Zwift apps at the same time just to get the game to work (the main app on Apple TV, and the companion App on my phone). I don't really want to run a 3rd device and flipping between two apps on my phone to see this info sounds a lot more annoying than just having it on the main game screen.

You don't seem confused anymore, you described it. The real problem isn't the name. It is the concept that the same watts are required whichever setting you have it on that causes confusion. If you have a better name to explain this I would love to hear it.
I'm not sure why you're being snarky about this, but I found this setting confusing when I first started using Zwift and I've read multiple threads here and elsewhere that make it clear I'm not alone. It seems obvious that Zwift should come up with a better solution.

Zwift is not free, so expecting features and updates (especially to known issues) shouldn't be seen as unreasonable.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-07-22, 12:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I need to try zwift power. I guess I need a bigger monitor.
The trainer difficulty setting name makes no sense, I recently asked about it because I'm confused about it most of the time. I think they should name it, "do you like to shift?" Or maybe "trainer realism"
Old 12-07-22, 08:28 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm vaguely familiar with Zwift Power and have an account, but have never heard of Zwift Power Live. Is this another app or a website that you run while on Zwift? Running another app/screen isn't a very good solution for me -

"Live" is a selection on Zwift power. If you have the race selected showing the roster in the banner you will have an option to go live. Lots of people use a second monitor to track but the easy way is to run zwift in windows and have the zwift power live on another tab behind Zwift. Doing the same for your Discord and you are set. If you use the discord overlay the avatars of your team will show on your Zwift screen and tell you who is online and when they are talking. Extremely useful so you don't talk on top of your teammates. Going to ZP live is one click to and one click back. Simple, fast, and effective. Once you master all of this add your music playlist to the party in another hidden tab. Set your Discord so the music turns off when you transmit or receive incoming commo from your team mates. This attenuation setting is found in your discord settings under "voice and video". When you have this all operating its is an amazing setup. All can be done and run on one computer tower.
Old 12-07-22, 09:56 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
You can even get fancy and stream your recording and have your discord and Zwift sound feed sent to both but a different music (digital rights free) sent to your stream than the playlist you have sent to your headphones. That took me a little while to get Voicemeeter Banana set to do that properly, but it works well now.
Old 12-08-22, 11:41 AM
msu2001la

"Live" is a selection on Zwift power. If you have the race selected showing the roster in the banner you will have an option to go live. Lots of people use a second monitor to track but the easy way is to run zwift in windows and have the zwift power live on another tab behind Zwift. .
Does Zwift Power Live work outside of a race?
Old 12-08-22, 04:40 PM
La Tortue

Active races, group rides, and events. But not 100% of the time.
Old 12-09-22, 11:40 AM
La Tortue

Last nights TTT

Likes For La Tortue:
Old 12-11-22, 09:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
LOL, no I don't work for Zwift. But as a 59 level Zwifter I am certainly a big fan. I do have a very good idea of what the product offers and does not offer. I do recognize at $15 per month it's a great product that offers more than any of its competitors do. Unless another product offers some very specific item they must absolutely have and Zwift doesn't offer it Zwift is the obvious platform. This is backed up by numbers and at this time these numbers aren't changing. The numbers aren't even close. Zwift is King and the reason is quality and bang for the buck.
While I'm a big fan of Zwift, there are weaknesses as a complete winter training tool. For example it's not great for structured training unless you are using a third party training program. Even then I prefer Wahoo SYSTM for structured workouts. I also enjoy the real world video based approach of Rouvy, especially when training for alpine climbs. Zwift can get a bit boring on long climbs. Where Zwift excels for me is group riding and virtual racing, although the drafting can be a bit quirky at times. I quite like the Zwift graphics too.
Old 12-18-22, 08:18 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
All of the dinosaurs, deserts and Japanese tea houses irritate me in Zwift. I find it distracting, unnecessary and annoying. I much prefer the stripped down, structured and adaptive approach of TrainerRoad. I use my Stages SB20 with TR, that's perfect for me.
Old 12-18-22, 11:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I just wish they would update zwift less often. On a PC at least, they have improved the update enough that it doesn't hang 3 times, but it's still really annoying. It would be really nice if the "verifying files" part of the upgrade was included in the progress bar. And they still require login after many updates. I'm not sure why they couldn't remember me across an update.
Old 12-24-22, 08:16 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 231 Posts
The difficulty that I had in some of the Zwift alternatives was that my screen showed a cartoon bike in a real world. Really weird. I guess there was a way to change my view, but I didn't stick around long enough to experiment around.

Zwift is a cartoon bike in a cartoon world, as somehow that seems to work ok for me.
Old 02-03-23, 06:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Came across Cadesport. Looks like a fairly promising newer entrant in this space. Anyone using?
https://cadesport.com/
Old 02-03-23, 07:26 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I have used it. It’s a fair program. If computer graphics is your jam.
Old 02-03-23, 08:08 AM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I haven't been on Zwift that long. End of last winter season, and now this whole season. I like it. I'm level 21 at this point. The thing that bugs me a bit is they have a number of limited-route maps that seem to always be the ones available when I'm logging in. I'd like more access to Makuri, but my schedule doesn't seem to line up well with it. Also, disappointed to see how limited Scotland is. It seems they don't have much competition, so less incentive, and I've no idea how hard it is to code new worlds and successfully deploy them to their large installed base, but I'd just like to see more routes on their existing worlds. Not more worlds with limited routes. I'm concerned the addition of Scotland means I'll see Makuri even less, once Scotland hits regular rotation.
Old 02-03-23, 08:55 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Zwift is a very boring platform as you use it you realize this. I use several cycling apps. My favorite is Rouvy. As there are so many routes. I never ride the same ones. An it is actual gps routes not made up routes. Example Scotland has no actual routes from Scotland. Just fak graphic buildings that kind of look like Scotland
Old 02-03-23, 09:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by WT21
The thing that bugs me a bit is they have a number of limited-route maps that seem to always be the ones available when I'm logging in. I'd like more access to Makuri, but my schedule doesn't seem to line up well with it. Also, disappointed to see how limited Scotland is.
That's my main complaint, I think I already made it in this thread. Most of the guest worlds have very few routes. I always seem to miss it when France is up in the rotation. You can do the hack and ride in any world you want, what's so hard about building it into the main interface? They might find out what worlds are actually popular with their users. Imagine that.

There are a couple of routes on Makuri that always are available with pace partners. I have been using that recently.
Old 02-03-23, 10:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I have used it. It’s a fair program. If computer graphics is your jam.
Would I find there to be enough other users in the program yet, or would ever ride feel like I'm riding in the post-apocalypse? How are general physics, speed, gradients in-game -- somewhat realistic?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.