Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fat Biking with Skiers

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Fat Biking with Skiers

Old 02-06-17, 01:41 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Fat Biking with Skiers

Went up to the Sierra Nevadas (California) with some friends to do some cross country skiing. Found out I could rent a Surly Pugsely and since I didn't want to exacerbate my ankle injury, thought I might give the fat bike a try.

I had previously thought of them as more of a lark and novelty than a serious bike (despite seeing some incredible trips done on them). I was really pleasantly surprised to find that with sub-10psi I was able to ride the hell out of it on the trails. I suspect they're much more condition dependent than most bikes, and the conditions were great for me, but that being said I still want one of my own! What a riot. And it was really fun seeing the hilarious looks skiers would give me when they saw me. I guess these bikes are still relatively uncommon. I lot of skiers looked at me as if I had gone out for a ride to the market downtown and somehow gotten reallllly lost. I suspect it had a lot to do with my attire.

I found it really easy to ride with skiers, but you have to be conscientious and not tear up the trails. I'm looking forward to doing some off trail (off ski-trail) anyway rides!

Old 02-06-17, 01:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
looks like the trails were nice & wide too, so the skiers didn't feel crowded?
Old 02-06-17, 01:51 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Nobody seemed to mind and I'd just ride at the side of the trail when passing. For a while I rode with the skiers that I came with and they just skied along side. I guess common courtesy went a long way.
Old 02-08-17, 01:04 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Woohoo! Another convert! Its really snowy where I live (woo, especially this year), and fat bikes have given us a good alternative to skiing.

About the ski trails...you probably already know but do try to stay out of the classic lane (the deeply set two tracks along the edge of the groomed trail). As long as you are not creating a rut, usually anywhere in the skate lane is okay. Sometimes a single track fat bike lane is set along the very edge opposite the classic track. If you use the trail system often it is a good idea to find out who does the trail maintenance and maybe leave a little cash for their effort, or volunteer to help on trail maintenance day.
Old 05-11-17, 02:35 PM
speculant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I miss living in ND and seeing all the fat tires around wintertime.