Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Boomer Ride (kinda like a Tweeder Ride, but then again Not)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 08:31 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

I have tried to interest some of my bicycling buddies into doing a Boomer Ride, aka, a show off your entry level late 60's/early 70's 10 speed bike. And though most of them have a Schwinn LeTour, Pug U08, Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe, or Raleigh Grand Prix, in their stables, none of them seem interested in a celebratory ride to pay homage to this under appreciated section of bicycling history. I'm just looking for suggestions on more possible bike selections and appropriate wear. What was the prevailing garb for people who were just looking for a 10 speed to get them from point A to B with a little more style and grace than what was available at Sears and Western Auto? According to most Schwinn catalogs then, tight nutter shorts (with a belt), mandatory white tube socks and white tennis shoes. Any shirt would be acceptable, as long as the tails were tucked in. Sound about right to those who lived the history back then?
Old 03-05-13, 08:44 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
If there were one in my area, I would be delighted to participate, as long as the others would not object to a UO-8 with aluminum rims, aluminum Sugino crankset, SunTour Cyclone and Shimano Titlist derailleurs, SunTour barcons, modern Blackburn pump, black Salsa stem (no AVA stem of death for me!), etc. At least I have period correct Pletscher mousetrap rack and cylindrical Bellwether front bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Optimized-2009-06-13.jpg (97.4 KB, 32 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-05-13, 08:51 PM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wait.....what you are describing is what I normally wear..... ;-)
Old 03-05-13, 08:58 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I've thought about organizing a vintage bike ride in my county, but haven't gone through with it yet. If I do, I'll be sure to specify that all types & ages of bikes are welcome, otherwise I'd probably be pretty lonely. The more the merrier is my policy when it comes to social events, and I think the number of people with an interest in vintage bikes is pretty low in this area.

Make the ride more about the people and less about the bikes, and you'll have a better turnout and more fun IMHO.
Old 03-05-13, 09:39 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Where are you at? I have a '72 Schwinn Continental. Be a lot of fun to dress up like a model in a Schwinn catalog of the era and cruise happily in my Sear's Best togs.
Old 03-05-13, 09:45 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The basic problem is that most people who have ridden boomer bikes don't ever want to again. Unless, like John E., they've replaced all the stuff that made them want to not ride boomer bikes. And "Bikes that used to be boomer bikes but now actually function" isn't an especially catchy moniker for a ride. Unless it is. Hell do I know?
Old 03-05-13, 09:49 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I would most def be in on a "Boomer Ride."
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 03-05-13, 10:09 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Well 70's Franch Style you go Jeunet figure it out.
Old 03-05-13, 10:19 PM
uncle uncle

I'm in Kansas. And, it wasn't like it was going to be a big scheduled ride, just an attempt to get a few buddies together and ride bikes and eat some breakfast at a restaurant (or maybe just coffee and donuts) and share some laughs. A goofy, go at a somewhat leisurely pace, totally non-race social event. I (we) would welcome any bicycle. In my city, there is a fairly big contingency of people who ride "paper boy bikes" and muscle bikes in a club, but few who ride classic ten speeds in that same crowd. They get together and bar hop on a regular basis. We also have a club that organizes bike rides, with speeds from "race training" to "century ride training". Really, if the rides morphed into a classic steel ride group, I would also be happy with that. Part of the genesis was that paper-boy and muscle bikes sell for a fairly good premium around here (with all rusty examples advertised as "rat rod ready") that those bikes are priced beyond a "I'll get it just for kicks" pricing level. But entry level bike boom ten speeds get very little love and thus can sometimes be found on CL for a wallet friendly price. I would even be good with 70's Huffy's, Sears Ted Williams, and the such.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 03-05-13 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 11:02 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I'm thinking you've got three options:

Old 03-06-13, 04:00 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What I wore in the 70's:

Blackbottom wool shorts (made in Salt Lake then), a t-shirt if it was a training ride, else a woolie jersey, little teeny white socks (USCF said!), kangaroo leather shoes with real wooden soles, crochet-back gloves, and a leather hairnet if it was a criterium, for all else a proper cycling cap with the brim turned up. Talk about organic! Wearing dead animal parts is about as organic as one can get...and I still have a lot of that crap, too.

Oooh, and a little cycle computer that went tictictictic until you were completely crazy.

The bar part of that ride sounds like fun...
Old 03-06-13, 04:11 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
I'm thinking you've got three options:

Genius! lol
Old 03-06-13, 04:33 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
What I wore in the 70's:

Blackbottom wool shorts (made in Salt Lake then), a t-shirt if it was a training ride, else a woolie jersey, little teeny white socks (USCF said!), kangaroo leather shoes with real wooden soles, crochet-back gloves, and a leather hairnet if it was a criterium, for all else a proper cycling cap with the brim turned up. Talk about organic! Wearing dead animal parts is about as organic as one can get...and I still have a lot of that crap, too.

Oooh, and a little cycle computer that went tictictictic until you were completely crazy.

The bar part of that ride sounds like fun...
And at the other end of the scale, I wore bell bottoms with clips, tennis shoes and a tshirt. No helmet. No computer. No shirt, No shoes, No service.

Old 03-06-13, 06:05 PM
uncle uncle

https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat...0/1972_01.html

I was thinking along these lines; I really like the guy to gal ratio here. It had to be the bikes, right?
Old 03-06-13, 06:40 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
OK,.... Shorty shorts, usually red, white or blue with piping on the sides and leg openings., Plaid Flannel shirt with a t-shirt inside with your favorite 70's rock group logo printed on it, tube socks, cheap pseudo no brand running shoes (Nike wasn't quite there yet) or earth shoes for the nerdy types, Oshkosh B'Gosh or Levis overalls for cold weather riding. Casio's latest digital black plastic watch. A thin headband with "HEAD" printed on it or a boxy trucker's cap with white mesh sides with your choice of logos up front, long greasy hair.....yup! biking as kids in the 70's we were sooo khewl!!!

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 03-06-13 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 06:43 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
And at the other end of the scale, I wore bell bottoms with clips, tennis shoes and a tshirt. No helmet. No computer. No shirt, No shoes, No service.
Sounds about right! Denim bell bottom dungarees or 501's, tennis shoes (with white gym socks) and plain white tees. Cut-off jeans if it was really hot out.

No one I knew would be caught dead dressed like the guys in the Schwinn catalogs.
Old 03-06-13, 07:49 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
Bell-bottoms or cutoffs, graphic t-shirt (like my Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine shirt), low-rise red canvas Converse sneakers and a backpack. Wide leather belt and aviator sunglasses. Maybe a terry headband if it was deep summer.
Old 03-06-13, 07:52 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Lets see... Back in the '70s I wore cutoff tight-nutter jeans, a t-shirt, white tube socks with green stripes, Puma 'road runner' white leather w/green stripe shoes, crochet-back gloves, Photo-Sun (photo-chromatic) aviator prescription glasses with a mirror atached to them, and no helmet because I had hair. If it was chilly out, add green sweats with a white stripe down the leg, and the matching (contrasting?) white zippered sweat top with green striping down the arms.

Today it is a pair of short khaki 'hiking' shorts, a T-shirt, crochet-back gloves, ankle socks, an ancient pair of Specialized MTB/riding shoes, a helmet (no hair) and wrap-around sunglasses. And a high-vis reflective mesh vest, and a strobe light on the rear of the rack. If it is too cold or raining, I don't ride. No time to be spending hours detail-cleaning the bike.

Speaking of which, I'm still riding the same mid-70s Fuji S-10S with Pletscher rack, although it has been updated as components wore out over the years... We've been together for too many years and too many miles to replace it with anything more modern.
Old 03-06-13, 08:28 PM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would totally do a ride like this.
Old 03-06-13, 10:06 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
The 1972 Raleigh catalog (pdf) has some ideas. From Retro Raleighs.

Turtleneck, vest, bell bottoms.
Plaid skirt, vest, knee socks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raleigh72.JPG (74.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-06-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 04:40 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I'm no expert on organizing, but I think you need these ingredients:

- Costumes make it non competitive, non speed ride - Tweed's a theme and harkens back to a slower pace. If you're looking for 70's themes, it could be Peace, Hair, Classic Rock, Disco, Psychedelic, etc. Costume awards too.

- A few cosponsors.

- Beer, food, and music at the termination point.

- Good weather!