Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Before you start another TT thread, click here.

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Before you start another TT thread, click here.

Old 05-27-21, 05:29 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 42 Posts
I've thought about this too. What I learned from my short exploration is what Hermes pointed out with operator expertise and that there are still too many variables to be managed for true consumer use right now. That said, I also agree with Hermes said and you should go for it and let us know how it goes.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 05-28-21, 06:20 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 658 Posts
I stick with data either way, provable data. When I've spent the couple hours after rides doing Excel formulas for the virtual elevation modeling, I had a method I've used in cLEAN systematic problem solving in manufacturing.......I call it the "light switch".

You do the old thing, try the new thing, then try the old thing again. If you can generate an "on/off/on" pattern, you've proven you can recreate the problem.

With basic aero testing of equipment or position, if you don't care about the REAL value of CdA and only improvements.......all you have to prove for each comparison is a definitive and repeated pattern of "this one is better than that one".

Too many folks just make lots of back to back runs on the same item, then the next item. Going back to the first item introduces a piece of data so you prove the pattern.

We'll see! In a few training rides after the regional 40k championships I did realize I had gotten a tad lazy on the bike posture wise. Not with head/helmet, but rotating the hips. Maybe a couple watts there? Dunno.

I also bought a $30 pack of fit items for the Trinity so I can move coordinates around for testing a little better.

I'll probably do photo/video in the shed of a couple fit ideas to try, put a text bubble on each photo with the fit coords and reminders (rotate hips), then do the field testing of it.

I have a "good" fit right now, but it's mostly been eyeballed by video. I haven't had the extra fit equipment to do field aero/fit testing. Only aero testing of things like my helmets and wheels.

Since the lump on top of the bike matters most, I feel I might find up to 20w there! We'll see.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-03-21, 04:46 PM
ntnyln

Spent the day with my fitter. He uses the Reutl video analysis, so it was a 5-hour affair to dial in two bikes. We made some changes to both road and TT bike in Jan of 20, then COVID hit, and I never made it back until now. A year of work on mobility on my hips and hamstrings allowed us to move the seat up 9mm with no change in the front end. My back flattened out a ton. Last Jan. we also changed my bars from the stock speed concept ski bends that have no rotational adjustment to the 51 Speed Shop Ultimate bars. My rudimentary analysis showed that they were slower, so we switch the 51 Speed Shop ski bends. Feels like a new bike and can't wait to see what it does for power and speed.

I was surprised with the 9mm increase in saddle height, but the video analysis showed a similar change to my road bike. My hips were/are twisted up and I was having extension challenges, so I've spent the last year plus working on it and it looks like all that work paid off. Still have more work to do on the right side, but that change year over year is pretty dramatic. Pretty excited to see it pay off.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 06-04-21, 06:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by ntnyln View Post
A year of work on mobility on my hips and hamstrings allowed us to move the seat up 9mm with no change in the front end.

I was surprised with the 9mm increase in saddle height, but the video analysis showed a similar change to my road bike. My hips were/are twisted up and I was having extension challenges
The ability to rotate the hips to get more into that prone recumbent position is both more aero and makes more power, if you can handle it physically.

So, not surprising if you improved your range of motion it opened up that posibility.

One fit phenomenon I have a personal theory about is that when folks look at the hips/legs/foot angles in a video, they need to slightly rotate their point of view forward about the focal point of the bottom bracket. If a person rotates their hips as they should, your pedal stroke looks different than the hip rotation in the road position due to that rotation. So, it may appear like somebody is toe pointing and should lower their saddle.......when reality looks a bit different if you rotate your eyes just a hair.

Best way I can say it is top dead center moves from dead noon to more like 1 o'clock if looking from the drive side.
Old 06-10-21, 01:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Notio is on and configured. Golden Cheetah Notio up and running. Calibration out/back done. Numbers looking rational.

My CdA just farting around on out/back tries to learn to use the thing showed that while wearing just road helmet and flappy jersey and such I was still reasonably slippery. But, no doubt room to find some watts.

One question about the cockpit dimensions stuff. I am confused. Is the 15 degrees the pads and also from pads to end of extensions? Or is it pads 15 degrees and then you get 10cm vert from pads to top of extension?

If I try out some stuff, that's one thing that could affect what things I try. I thought it was the latter, 15 deg pad and 10cm because that's how Ganna is running those funny extensions.

I have new extra Giant stack spacers to mess with. Just may need some extra long bolts. I want to try the two extremes of stack height with my position then incrementally hone in from there as a first start item.
Old 06-17-21, 05:33 PM
ntnyln

It finally came. My tailor made nopinz flow suit. Being shorter the sleeves and legs are always too long for me, so I figured if I was going to spend all that money for the suit, another $80 to get it to fit right wasn't outrageous. It fits like a glove. I went with the 2x track pockets on the back since TT's and stage races around here usually have numbers on the side and flips depending on the race.

Likes For ntnyln:
Old 06-17-21, 05:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 519 Posts
sweet dude, nice SS
Old 06-17-21, 06:37 PM
Hermes