Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Why am I not a Strava segment person any more?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Why am I not a Strava segment person any more?

Old 01-11-21, 12:01 AM
  #26  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,350

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
... same level as your son...
was.
Doge is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 04:17 PM
  #27  
JLTD
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by denvertrout View Post
I lost the drive for KOM's this season. My strongest season yet, but watching other friends basically plan a ride just to get a KOM, blah. I still go for some if I am out for a ride and the timing works out, but otherwise just go about and do my thing.
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
How else do you get a KOM?

Genuinely curious. I don't even live in a heavily populated area, but nearly every single KOM worth mentioning is held by a pretty good Cat 1 or 2 (with a select few held by a former TdF jersey wearer). There aren't many KOMs you can just roll through in the middle of a workout and get a crown around here, and again, I'm talking segments with only 200-300 users. They all have to be planned and targeted.
Agree with this. I don't know about planning an entire ride around a KOM effort, but even if so I don't see how that's a bad thing if that's what you're in to. For sure anything of "value" as far as segments go around here isn't just gonna fall into your lap. I'm in Utah, lots of big time climbs, we also have (or had) the Tour of Utah and plenty of pro's train here so if someone wants to get after a competitive KOM it's not gonna happen by accident. Leaderboards are pretty stacked but I'm pretty sure that's the idea of a KOM or FKT for the non-Strava crowd. Nobody in this thread is hating on Strava, but when people do it's kinda silly. You don't have to like what someone else likes, if a dude is into KOM hunting and he's strong enough to go get them, get after it! This is a hobby that we do for fun!
JLTD is offline  
Likes For JLTD:
Old 01-11-21, 06:16 PM
  #28  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTD View Post
Agree with this. I don't know about planning an entire ride around a KOM effort, but even if so I don't see how that's a bad thing if that's what you're in to. For sure anything of "value" as far as segments go around here isn't just gonna fall into your lap. I'm in Utah, lots of big time climbs, we also have (or had) the Tour of Utah and plenty of pro's train here so if someone wants to get after a competitive KOM it's not gonna happen by accident. Leaderboards are pretty stacked but I'm pretty sure that's the idea of a KOM or FKT for the non-Strava crowd. Nobody in this thread is hating on Strava, but when people do it's kinda silly. You don't have to like what someone else likes, if a dude is into KOM hunting and he's strong enough to go get them, get after it! This is a hobby that we do for fun!
We had a guy that was famous for getting KOMs. He died running a stop sign on a residential street at about 35 mph. Considering that was on a segment he did not have, you can draw conclusions.

I personally don't consider KOMs on descents or ones that require you to run signs or lights legitimate, just out of the principal of safety. That eliminates probably 80% of ours right there.

Everyone around here know what the legit KOMs are, I'm sure every cycling town does.

Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
How else do you get a KOM?

Genuinely curious. I don't even live in a heavily populated area, but nearly every single KOM worth mentioning is held by a pretty good Cat 1 or 2 (with a select few held by a former TdF jersey wearer). There aren't many KOMs you can just roll through in the middle of a workout and get a crown around here, and again, I'm talking segments with only 200-300 users. They all have to be planned and targeted.
Our team basically does timed pulls. They go up in 2-3 people with the KOM chaser at the back. Sometimes I'd be at the front but usually I'd be a mile or 2 up the road for a fresh pull. We broke one of Phil Gaimon's KOMs that way...well we got a section of it but we didn't get full climb the up 38.

A lot of these KOMs are essentially on training rides of semi pros (Phil Gaimon has a boatload), or during the Redlands Classic Race.

Last edited by furiousferret; 01-11-21 at 06:22 PM.
furiousferret is offline  
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-11-21, 06:22 PM
  #29  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,390
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 314 Posts
I still don't even use a computer with GPS.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 07:34 PM
  #30  
denvertrout
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Denver
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
LOL, I don't try unless on my ride I am going through a segment that fits my planned route, I feel great, and the wind is favorable. I mainly ride in the Boulder area, good lord there are a lot of fast guys and girls there.

My buddies I often ride with, plan the route based on the wind and the segment to correspond to trying to get a KOM. That does nothing for me. To each his own though. Nothing against anyone who does. I ride with great people, and I love going fast just as much as them. The only segments around me with 200 users is in someones neighborhood, certainly not any hills around here, nor any of the roads I ride.
denvertrout is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 01:53 PM
  #31  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,194

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 2,266 Times in 1,067 Posts
I just got a new Garmin that has some pop-up that says whether I'm on a Strava segment. Super annoying. I need to figure out how to turn it off.
caloso is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 02:06 PM
  #32  
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Posts: 26,170

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 35 Posts
I may have to quit Strava. WR Jr. went and did the hill behind our house 2s slower than my PR during his 1' test. Ugh.
waterrockets is offline  
Likes For waterrockets:
Old 01-12-21, 03:46 PM
  #33  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,168
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I just got a new Garmin that has some pop-up that says whether I'm on a Strava segment. Super annoying. I need to figure out how to turn it off.
Menu->Training->Strava Live Segments->Segment Options
gregf83 is offline  
Likes For gregf83:
Old 01-12-21, 03:55 PM
  #34  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,194

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 2,266 Times in 1,067 Posts
Thank you. I was doing intervals on Sunday afternoon and it keeps telling me I'm riding on segments I created myself.
caloso is offline  
Old 01-12-21, 05:58 PM
  #35  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,423

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 700 Posts
I've gotten my time trial bike set up after having it hang on the wall for the last four years. I'm seriously contemplating taking every KOM within a 10 mile radius of my house now. Every single one. It looks soooo fast.

2021 goals!

rubiksoval is offline  
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-12-21, 07:21 PM
  #36  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,956

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
I've gotten my time trial bike set up after having it hang on the wall for the last four years. I'm seriously contemplating taking every KOM within a 10 mile radius of my house now. Every single one. It looks soooo fast.

2021 goals!

Do it!

Do you have a TT helmet/disc wheel/skinsuit and all the goodies???
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 08:40 AM
  #37  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,602

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 658 Posts
Time in position matters a good bit on the TT bike for the longer segments. Shorter ones in the 5min and less range, sure, it won't matter at all. Just set it up safely and hunker down.

Just to say..........I get a lot of people always are like "If only I had a TT bike I could be a hero". They equate the purchase with the outcome.

It's more accurate to say "if I had a TT bike, and trained on it at least 50% of my rides, and have spent hours doing aero testing my position and components........and.....and.....".
burnthesheep is offline  
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-13-21, 11:40 AM
  #38  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,423

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Do it!

Do you have a TT helmet/disc wheel/skinsuit and all the goodies???
Yes, well, helmet and skinsuit. But I wouldn't roll that stuff out for segments. Shouldn't be that big a need for it.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 01-13-21 at 11:44 AM.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 01-13-21, 11:42 AM
  #39  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,423

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Time in position matters a good bit on the TT bike for the longer segments. Shorter ones in the 5min and less range, sure, it won't matter at all. Just set it up safely and hunker down.

Just to say..........I get a lot of people always are like "If only I had a TT bike I could be a hero". They equate the purchase with the outcome.

It's more accurate to say "if I had a TT bike, and trained on it at least 50% of my rides, and have spent hours doing aero testing my position and components........and.....and.....".
Ah! But fortunately, I've spent this entire summer riding my road bike pretty aggressively. I had to start off with only doing it 2-3 minutes at a time because it was so uncomfortable and then building up from there.

My TT bike aero pads are actually a little higher than my road bike bar on which I rest my forearms (because my road bars are lower for sprinting). I run 165 cranks on both bikes, and saddle position is nearly identical.

I've only tested it out so far and am hoping to do a proper ride today, but position wise I think it should be very feasible to hold fur a good duration.
rubiksoval is offline  
Likes For rubiksoval:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.