Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Orbea Katu

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Orbea Katu

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 04:20 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Racktime has 20 inch and 24 inch racks and they are available at a site where I can get special pricing. I emailed Racktime to confirm the length of the arms. Ideally the 20 inch works but I may opt for the 24 inch just to be safe. While I can buy at a very good discount, there are no returns.
Old 05-06-20, 11:03 AM
tofudog415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Take care about the angle of the rack arms. The Katu has its rack mounts pretty high up on the seat stays, which are already run higher than a lot of folding bikes. You can see in my photo that the rack arms are almost horizontal. For a rack sitting lower, like next to tire, you'd have to be able to bend the arms upward to meet the seat stay mounts, which may or may not be feasible, depending on the shape of the rack and the profile of the arms. If you do a Google image search on the Katu, it looks like all the photos with racks are of the standard, big-wheel type that sit higher.
Old 05-06-20, 04:17 PM
tdonline

Yes, it's my biggest concern and why I put off ordering it this weekend. I put in an order that included a Racktime front rack for my commuter but didn't include the back rack.

The arms/stays are 300mm or about 11 inches long. And it looks like there is some pivoting which would allow the stays to pivot up. That's critical, no pivot and I'm SOL.

I found a few photos of folders with this rack along with one BF thread. None are Katu specific but the rack does look to have quite good clearance on other 20 inch wheel bikes. I think all of it rests how much I can angle the stays up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardco...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardco...n/photostream/

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...-vybe-c7a.html
Old 05-07-20, 01:53 PM
xRyan

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Where are you guys ordering from? The website doesn't a buying option for the Katu model. What's the going price for them right now?
Old 05-07-20, 09:52 PM
tdonline

Originally Posted by xRyan
Where are you guys ordering from? The website doesn't a buying option for the Katu model. What's the going price for them right now?
You may want to confirm this with Orbea and/or one of their dealers, but I think they stopped selling the Katu in the US. Assuming you're in the US, it's why you do not see a purchase option for the Katu like you do for their other bikes. I think the amazing Black Friday deal was the last hurrah. I'm really glad I got it--both because it's great and also because it's no longer sold in the US.
Likes For tdonline:
Old 05-08-20, 07:46 AM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
You may want to confirm this with Orbea and/or one of their dealers, but I think they stopped selling the Katu in the US. Assuming you're in the US, it's why you do not see a purchase option for the Katu like you do for their other bikes. I think the amazing Black Friday deal was the last hurrah. I'm really glad I got it--both because it's great and also because it's no longer sold in the US.
Bummer, I did message them yesterday about the availability so we'll see what they say. They are very good looking bikes. There is one on ebay at the moment but Its pick up only in New York.
Old 05-08-20, 10:36 AM
tdonline

Originally Posted by xRyan
Bummer, I did message them yesterday about the availability so we'll see what they say. They are very good looking bikes. There is one on ebay at the moment but Its pick up only in New York.
To set expectations, I messaged them about a rear rack recommendation (say that fast 3 times!) and I haven't heard from them. That was about a week ago.
Old 05-08-20, 02:06 PM
xRyan

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
To set expectations, I messaged them about a rear rack recommendation (say that fast 3 times!) and I haven't heard from them. That was about a week ago.
I guess I'll continue my search for a different model lol.
Old 05-09-20, 10:27 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Velo orange do racks that fit its new Neutrino and that has 20" rims so maybe it will fit this bike.
Old 05-09-20, 12:05 PM
tdonline

Originally Posted by dezzie
Velo orange do racks that fit its new Neutrino and that has 20" rims so maybe it will fit this bike.
Didn't find a 20 inch specific rear rack on VO's site but the Neutrino's a very nice bike.
Old 09-23-20, 10:04 AM
tomstickland

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just bought a Katu on Ebay. I want to use it for grocery shopping. At the moment my heels catch on the panniers so I need to find a rack that sits slightly further back.
Old 09-23-20, 11:14 AM
tdonline

I ended up buying this rack in the 24 inch size. The arms angle up slightly to reach the bolt area. There is a little bit more room between the bottom of the rack and the wheel than I like. Just purely an aesthetic thing. Seeing now the room available, the 20 inch likely would have worked--with a more severe angle up for the arms. As I was buying from a source that would not take returns, I played it safe and bought the 24.

https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime...uct/foldit-fix

I'm doing my first transport of the Katu tomorrow. I'm picking up a compact rental car today--crossing fingers the Katu can fit in the trunk (with the back seat down). I'm a little bit worried the basket may need to be removed.
Old 09-23-20, 03:31 PM
tdonline

Eh, bad luck, no hatchbacks available. Got a Mazda 3 sedan. With the back seats down, I was able to get the Katu in only after removing the basket and front wheel. If there was another pair of hands so we probably could shimmied the bike in, I may have been able to do it without removing the front wheel.

Cue regretting selling the folder...
Old 09-23-20, 05:18 PM
tomstickland

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered a "Topeak Super Tourist DX Rear Rack" because it has additional rails that look like they extend slightly further back. I've also ordered better panniers that have adjustable clip positions. I'm hoping these two purchases will allow me to shift the panniers further back and clear my heels.

It's a real pity that Orbea put so much thought into the front end and didn't offer an extended length rear rack.
Old 11-02-20, 11:19 AM
cyclostam

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, I am interested in Katu 20. I would like to ask the length of the crank arm. I can not find the length in the specs. If it is too short, is there enough clearance for longer crankset (170mm)?
Old 11-03-20, 01:27 AM
tofudog415

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like most of the Katus come stock with 170mm cranks.

Likes For tofudog415:
Old 11-03-20, 04:26 AM
cyclostam

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you.