Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need a light and fast one

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Need a light and fast one

Old 03-05-22, 11:40 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I’d love to hear from anyone who has the Lotus what they think.
Old 03-05-22, 01:34 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Other than the pakiT, none of the BF bikes are made for quick folding - they're made for packing. The Xootr swift is great but it doesn't really fold small, either. The Birdy fold is closest to the brompton fold in terms of convenience and it rides really well. Or - you could try to get your hands on a Helix. https://helix.ca

​The Pakit looks like a terrific bike. I liked the look of its predecessor the Tikit as well. These two BF models definitely fold very compactly, as they're designed to do. But these have 16" wheels and most 20" folders, particularly those designed for performance, would outclass them for speed and ride quality both over long distances and less than ideal road surfaces The Pakit bikes were designed by Bike Friday to compete in the segment of the folding bicycle market dominated by Brompton. Bike Friday make some excellent 20" models which dish out high performance and give a lovely ride quality. In particular the Pocket Rocket series which has been suggested on this thread.

I like the Swift's fold. It takes well under 10 seconds to transform it from a complete badass bike into something folded well small enough to take on public transport or fit in the trunk of a car. It's just a matter of opening two quick release skewers and sliding out the seat post, lifting up slightly on the frame then pushing the seat post down again so that it locks the bike together at the rear wheel. It's folded footprint is quite skinny too, so it sometimes slots into narrow spaces many other folders might not get into. It's also worth noting that the fold on the Swift doesn't stretch the brake/derailleur cables as happens on many centre hinge bikes.

Anyway, I'm repeating myself as I've very recently made the same case for the virtues of the Swift fold on another thread on this forum. Obviously a Pakit is a more compact package, but DL.Broox has said earlier on this thread that he's more interested in speed and ride quality over teeny tiny folding, and the Swift design fits that bill.

Apples & oranges.

My Swift recently folded to fit in the back of my friend's tiny car. He didn't have his two ginormous dogs with him that day, so I left the handlebars and stem on. These rapidly detach by opening one more quick release skewer and I've fit the same bike in the same micro-car with the seats up to accommodate these two hulking beasts no problem.

​​​​​​

Last edited by joey buzzard; 03-05-22 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 01:43 PM
DLBroox

I actually found a Swift on eBay that I am interested in but the guy said it’s pick up only. We discussed shipping but he seems to have disappeared from the conversation so maybe he doesn’t want to bother. But every single thing I’ve read about the Swift makes me think it would be the perfect bike to fit my needs. So I’ll keep my eyes open for one while I sift through all the other suggestions.

The Pocket Rocket is high on my list but I’m just not sure I can spend that much. I keep going back and forth about how much to spend. Same with some of the other high end bikes people have mentioned. That Birdy is 3 grand!

But I appreciate all the input. I think when I land on the right one the price won’t really matter as much. I’ll just rationalize why it’s a good deal!
Old 03-05-22, 01:45 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I consider the Swift fold not really a fold, but that's just me. You can't reduce the vertical size, just the horizontal. Depends on what you want. doesn't fit under a desk at work. However, it rides nicely! But everyone's needs are different. OP should definitely look at Helix. Folds small like Brompton, rides on 24" wheels for speed and stability, and is light due to titanium frame.

Likes For linberl:
Old 03-05-22, 02:02 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Originally Posted by DLBroox
I actually found a Swift on eBay that I am interested in but the guy said it’s pick up only. We discussed shipping but he seems to have disappeared from the conversation so maybe he doesn’t want to bother. But every single thing I’ve read about the Swift makes me think it would be the perfect bike to fit my needs. So I’ll keep my eyes open for one while I sift through all the other suggestions.
Was it this one in Pennsylvania? Posting the link just in case I've come across another one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28467337521...8AAOSwRkFhfZVZ
Old 03-05-22, 02:07 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Was it this one in Pennsylvania? Posting the link just in case I've come across another one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28467337521...8AAOSwRkFhfZVZ
Yes that was the one.
Old 03-05-22, 02:31 PM
joey buzzard

Yes that was the one.
Looks very nice and shiny in the picture like it hasn't been used much. Another hint that this might be the case is that to my eye that looks like an original saddle (all the other components too). I was not a fan of the saddle my Xootr originally came with. I think many people would've swapped that item out quite quickly, so maybe it indicates that the bike has hardly been ridden? Anyway, nice if you could get the guy to agree to ship it. Have you tried offering him a bit more cash than he's asking for his trouble? Might be worth a try. Or maybe a local bike shop in Pennsylvania could pack and ship for a fee if you could get the guy to drop it off? Adds expense, but you'd still get a great bike for well under a grand.

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by joey buzzard; 03-05-22 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 02:48 PM
DLBroox

I did offer to pay what he’s offering and to pay shipping. I’m a bit concerned from the two or three negative comments he has, but people can be a pain on there so who knows. The idea about getting an lbs to ship is a good idea.

It looks like it’s in amazing shape.
Old 03-05-22, 03:17 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Joey, the Swift should be pictured with the handlebar removed to get a better idea of its size.
Old 03-05-22, 03:50 PM
joey buzzard

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Joey, the Swift should be pictured with the handlebar removed to get a better idea of its size.

​​​​​True. Next time I'm going somewhere in the micro-mini-car with my pal his slobbering sidekicks Bonnie and Marley I'll try to remember to snap a photo with the handlebars off and the bike loaded with the car's back seat up. But really I'm not arguing the point that the Swift is a super-compact folder, just that it folds quickly and "small enough" for most purposes. If one's most important consideration when picking a folder is "will it fit under my desk inside my tight cubicle at work" then best go with a 16" Pakit or a Brompton. Considering how good a bike the Swift is (I stopped riding my road bike around the same time I got mine) and how little it cost when compared with other folding bikes aiming to offer a similar level of performance, I think that it's a superb choice for anyone looking for such.

Anyway Schwinnsta, seems that you're the proud owner of a Xootr Swift yourself. Might you not have some photos of your own silver machine fully folded?

Last edited by joey buzzard; 03-05-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 07:02 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
That ebay linked swift states 16 speed...they only came with 8 speed and I see no double chainring or front derailler.
Old 03-05-22, 07:40 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
​​​​​True. Anyway Schwinnsta, seems that you're the proud owner of a Xootr Swift yourself. Might you not have some photos of your own silver machine fully folded?
The last time I folded it, I did not fold it any more than you did, and I threw it in the back of my Prius hatchback.
Old 03-05-22, 07:44 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by BikeLite
That ebay linked swift states 16 speed...they only came with 8 speed and I see no double chainring or front derailler.
Xootr did make a front derailleur mount to make the bike 16 speeds and sold it as an accessory.
Old 03-05-22, 08:28 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Well I offered to pay what he wanted and shipping and then heard nothing after so I am very wary at this point. Taking a hard look at that Origami Lotus now. I am tempted by the Pocket Rocket but if I don’t have to spend that much to get close to what I want I’d rather not.
Old 03-06-22, 05:12 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
I have pictures of my Swift folded vs. my Bike Friday here.

Old 03-06-22, 05:30 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
I have pictures of my Swift folded vs. my Bike Friday here.

None of these two bikes is a real folding bike.

Both are half folding/half dismounting and there folded+dismounted size isn't comparable to the folded size of real folding bikes like a Brompton or Birdy.

Yes, the Birdy is more expensive, but if a real small folding bike is needed, its the best choice; it rides as fast as the Swift and BF but folds much smaller and being one piece folded, is much more easy to carry folded (the reason to have a folding bike is often not only to put it in the trunk of a car, with some dismounting, its almost possible to put any bike in the trunk of a car! I carry very often my Hase Pino Tandem without any dismounting in the trunk of my car.).

If such a folding bike isn't needed, another fast folding bike similar to the Swift and BF is the Pacific Cycles Reach.

And for real race folding bikes, there are the Airnimal and Tyrell FSX.

Last edited by Jipe; 03-06-22 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 07:08 AM
DLBroox

I was looking at the Reach too.

I don’t travel with my bikes much. Occasionally I put one in the car. I do, however, live in a tiny apartment so storing a folded bike is much easier for me. But my main reason for liking them so much is that they fit my body so much better. I’m small and a lightweight so the smaller bikes are way more fun for me to handle.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 03-06-22, 08:43 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts

The Pocket Rocket is high on my list but I’m just not sure I can spend that much. I keep going back and forth about how much to spend. Same with some of the other high end bikes people have mentioned. That Birdy is 3 grand!

But I appreciate all the input. I think when I land on the right one the price won’t really matter as much. I’ll just rationalize why it’s a good deal!
This Swift bike looks interesting but unfortunately it s no longer made. Looking for a used one is the next option which is not very practical for someone looking to buy a folding bike. Another example is all the folding bikes and mini velo available in Asia and Europe. They are fine solutions but again not always for North Americans.

Last edited by jfouellette; 03-06-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 09:08 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
This Swift bike looks interesting but unfortunately it s no longer made. Looking for a used one is the next option which is not very practical for someone looking to buy a folding bike. Another example is all the folding bikes and mini velo available in Asia and Europe. They are fine solutions but again not always for North Americans.
Fear not! We are working on bringing the Swift back! We are working with the original designer (Peter Reich) and are in the early stages of developing a new variant with his input. It will hopefully be available later this year.
Old 03-06-22, 10:39 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Fear not! We are working on bringing the Swift back! We are working with the original designer (Peter Reich) and are in the early stages of developing a new variant with his input. It will hopefully be available later this year.
That's exciting! As long as you are doing that (hopefully a steel one, not just aluminum), bring back the Crossrack!!!
Old 03-06-22, 10:43 AM
joey buzzard

WOw! I'm over-the-moon delighted to learn that your collaboration with Peter Reich is progressing to the point that you think there'll be a new product available by later this year. How exciting!

If you're ever seeking any input, I have some ideas I'd happily share too.

Great news! Thanks Pingus, you've made my day. All the best with this project.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 03-06-22 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 11:19 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Please stock risers, seat posts, and stems in various sizes like Xootr did. Do you think parts with Xootr will be compatible?
Old 03-06-22, 01:00 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
downtube

Well I offered to pay what he wanted and shipping and then heard nothing after so I am very wary at this point. Taking a hard look at that Origami Lotus now. I am tempted by the Pocket Rocket but if I don’t have to spend that much to get close to what I want I’d rather not.
have y0u looked at downtube bikes. they have some nice models that won't break the bank, same for zizzo.
Old 03-06-22, 03:00 PM
seat_boy

I would love to see a longer version. If the top tube on mine were two inches longer, I would not complain at all. I'm too far over the front axle now.

Likes For seat_boy:
Old 03-06-22, 03:03 PM
seat_boy

Well, they are bikes, and they do fold, and they are real, so I would consider both real folding bikes. It's just a different sent of compromises.

I started with a Dahon, but I prefer either the BF or the Swift over it. They both ride better as bikes, and I'm willing to compromise the folded action for that. Your choices may be different.

Originally Posted by Jipe
None of these two bikes is a real folding bike.

Both are half folding/half dismounting and there folded+dismounted size isn't comparable to the folded size of real folding bikes like a Brompton or Birdy.

Yes, the Birdy is more expensive, but if a real small folding bike is needed, its the best choice; it rides as fast as the Swift and BF but folds much smaller and being one piece folded, is much more easy to carry folded (the reason to have a folding bike is often not only to put it in the trunk of a car, with some dismounting, its almost possible to put any bike in the trunk of a car! I carry very often my Hase Pino Tandem without any dismounting in the trunk of my car.).

If such a folding bike isn't needed, another fast folding bike similar to the Swift and BF is the Pacific Cycles Reach.

And for real race folding bikes, there are the Airnimal and Tyrell FSX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.