Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Grizzlies in Yellowstone and Glacier

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Grizzlies in Yellowstone and Glacier

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 06:24 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If that was the UK, why was the bicyclist on the right side (in this case, the wrong side) of the road?

That said, both the bicyclist and the bear were in focus, but the ground at the same distance from the camera as the bear was out of focus, the yellow line just behind the bear is well out of focus compared to the good focus of the bear claws. Photographers call the range that is in good focus the depth of field. I think it would have looked less manipulated if the bear was less in focus.
Good point, the card was printed in the UK, The pictures can be taken anywhere.
Old 04-08-22, 08:10 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Problem with Glacier NP is that the park service placed the campground on top of existing bear trails. Bears spend the night on high ground and come down in the daytime to look for food. Putting a campground on these established bear trails is inviting disaster. And like any bureaucracy the park service refuses to relocate the campgrounds.

Bear spray is better than nothing but it cannot be taken on planes or put in checked luggage. Good idea to watch one of the online videos showing how to use it. Most bears are startled by hikers not making enough noise and react by attacking what is perceived as a threat.

A great many attacks are the result of dumb behavior by people who cannot conceive that a wild animal might actually be dangerous. Still there are far more people killed by dogs and hogs each year.
Old 04-09-22, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
No. 1 cause of death in Glacier is drowning according to a display sign I saw there. When backpacking in the backcountry my guide and I always talked when below the tree line. I made him walk ahead of me.

IIRC, it’s bison in Yellowstone.