Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike maintenance tool

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike maintenance tool

Old 10-02-21, 11:23 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
bike maintenance tool

Hello

I want to start learning how to do bike maintenance my self,
like the other day, I had front dearullieur issue, now I have some disc brake rubbing, I don't want to take it to the shop each time.
With that said, how do know which torque wrench to buy? I know that torque can be set to different nanometers, is their adjustable wrenches, that you can change the setting to different nanometers? Or is the clicking sound pre set?
also, how do you know for each bolt, what torque to set the wrench too?

Which bike stand should I get?

What other tools and books do you recommend?
Old 10-02-21, 02:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'm probably going to start an argument but torque wrenches are not needed for a bike. If you are the type of person that tightens things till the bolt breaks or the thread strip, then maybe you need one to get you back to a more realistic idea of what tight enough is.

If you under tighten something, then it'll loosen up over time and you'll know to tighten it a little more when you find it loose.

Besides, with the torque range needed for most bikes, you'd need two if not three different torque wrenches.

Digital calipers might be useful to check your disc's and brake pad wear. But only if you have disc breaks brakes. Sure they'll be handy for something else, but not a must have either IMO.

Otherwise all you really need are some screwdrivers, allen keys, a few wrenches and maybe some torx points. When you get to something that is going to require a special tool, which is probably not often if you only work on your own bike, then you can buy the special tool then. Or, go to your LBS and let them loosen or tighten it for you. If you are a good customer of theirs for other stuff, they might not charge much at all except for some good conversation.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-02-21, 02:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I suggest you go to Park Tools' website and watch a lot of videos on basic adjustments and maintenance. I also suggest going to YouTube and doing the same.

You will need a set of allen wrenches, really good diagonal pliers (or bespoke cable-cutters) and a phillips and straights screwdriver. Some disc brakes need a Torx wrench.

Depending on how far you want to go you might need specialty tools for bottom brackets.

Some stuff is worth spending on---I like Park's Mini-Brute chain tool because I had a cheap chain break tool actually break while AI was fixing a chain. I tend to look carefully at mini-tools, because a lot of them have way more than I need and some of them are cheap and soft and like the chain tool, are as likely to break as to fix a thing.

I got a Craftsman or something all-in-one allen wrench, which i use a lot. I also got a whole collection of other allen wrenches over the years---most important might be the (I think) 8- or 10 mm for pedals. I got a cheap small torque wrench because the only stuff i feel I really need to torque carefully is anything involving carbon fiber---a ham-handed meathead like myself can crush a tube way too easily. Most CF stuff is in the 2.5- 10 nm range---you don't need a two-foot breaker bar.

Don't go crazy buying tools you might not need and don't know how to use. I'd say 80% of what i do on a bike can be done with a set of allen wrenches and a pair of screwdrivers.
Old 10-02-21, 04:26 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have one of these Ritchey torque keys, and find it useful for stems, faceplates, and other smaller bolts that you don't want to overtighten.

Old 10-02-21, 04:30 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Never needed a torque wrench for bike maintenance and I haven't tightened any bolt so much it broke or couldn't be removed. I leave that up to the jerks who put the new tires on my vehicle. Here is a hint of setting the space between the rotor and pad on a disc brake. Mine (Shimano Deore and Hope C2 hydraulic disc brakes) are set by loosening the two bolts that fix the caliper to the brake and re-tightening with the correct spacing. Loosen the fixing bolts slightly. Slip a credit card in between the rotor and the pad. Gently squeeze the brake handle and then tighten the two fixing bolts. Remove credit card and you have the pad evenly spaced and just the right distance from the rotor. If this doesn't work it may mean you have a warped rotor.
Old 10-02-21, 05:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
It is a newton meters and if you are going for a torque wrench be prepared to spend money, cheap stuff ain't worth it. However in terms of tools you need right away I probably may not put the torque wrench super high. Probably start with a good quality set of hex wrenches and probably a JIS screwdriver and a good pair of cable cutters. Always buy the best tools you can, unless this is a one time use situation. Good tools last a long time and work well and are a pleasure to use.
Old 10-02-21, 06:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I have a torque wrench for other things, but it will also work on the bike if needed, but if you want\need one, I got this from Amazon and ultimately, it is made by the same Chinese company that makes it for dozens of other companies under their brand, including Park Tools, but it will save $50 to $75 over the Park Tools price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-02-21, 09:05 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
I got one of the Pro Bike Tool torque wrenches from Amazon. Liked that it was certified and cheap.
Old 10-02-21, 09:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I didn’t have a torque wrench for many, many years of doing my own bike maintenance and repair and didn’t damage anything because of that. That said, I’ve never used any CF bike component, so my margin for error has always been fairly large.

I think the advice given here already is solid. Get those basic tools, watch videos, practice, have fun and learn. Over time, as you do new tasks, some of them will require additional tools. You will know what you need, when you need it.

Otto
Old 10-03-21, 06:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
as with home tools & car tools & as I've seen mentioned by "old-timers" we grow our tool chest w/ time. meaning I want to do this job & it's a good time for me to buy this tool. over time you wind up w/ the most useful items. I inherited my late FIL's tool box. it's heart warming to go to his old box before my own for any job. & youknow what? Hal comes to the recue more times than not

a cpl come to mind immediately
allen wrenches
incl. long handle allen wrenches
(someday I will justify a bike focused torgue wrench)
needle nose vise grips
calipers, even an inexpensive unit, from "harbor freight" will be useful
pedal wrench
cable cutter
can of compressed air
mineral spirits
box of disposable gloves
shop cloths & paper towels
clean basement floor
if you have a MTB, q-tips, papertowels & sr suntour connpanna fork grease

google search your project and add "site: bikeforums.net" & most likely you'll find threads old & new about your project & ppl sharing the tools they used

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-03-21 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-03-21, 06:53 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm probably going to start an argument but torque wrenches are not needed for a bike. If you are the type of person that tightens things till the bolt breaks or the thread strip, then maybe you need one to get you back to a more realistic idea of what tight enough is.

If you under tighten something, then it'll loosen up over time and you'll know to tighten it a little more when you find it loose.
It seems like everything starts an argument on forums, not just BF.

That being said, I have but don't use a torque wrench and I agree to a certain degree. My bikes are steel and aluminum, if I had a carbon fiber bike, I may feel differently. I also have been working on my own bikes for over 45 years and cars and machinery nearly as long so I learned from my mistakes early on.

There is also a risk of damaging something other than the bolt by over tightening like a seat post clamp or seat post If the OP has a newer, nicer, more expensive bike, a torque wrench may be a good investment.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-03-21, 08:54 AM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
The only place I use a torque wrench is on the seat post on my carbon frame. The nuts are recessed in the frame and it would be a huge problem if I stripped them. It only takes a few minutes to get out the right tool.